suggestions and opinions needed

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by alex.cirabisi, Nov 24, 2011.

1. alex.cirabisi

alex.cirabisi Member

SO. I got the ok from the wifey to get my first handgun :D . I was looking to get possibly a single action revolver. With it being my first handgun I am primarily looking at 22lr or my preferred 22mag. What manufacture do you suggest? Im only looking at spending around $500 at most, and I'd like the gun to be as accurate as possible so I could use it for hunting. I also looked at the Ruger mark 3 target. If its not possible to find a new revolver for under $500 then I will probly go with the Ruger

Happy thanks giving btw :D
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  2. ofitg

ofitg New Member

I might suggest the Ruger Single Six Convertible - comes with two cylinders - .22LR for plinking, and .22 Mag for more serious purposes.
  3. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Try hard to find a dealer than will sell at 10% over there cost or work on them for a best deal on the ruger sp101 22lr. That should be a great revolver that can be fired single action or double action. + with some practice time it would be a natural to step up to the sp101 357 mag!!! Where I live the price would be close to the 525 to 540 range when they become avalible. Or put some bucks down on it till your comes in.

There is a lot of SA revolvers out there not worth keeping for a life time. Ruger SA is a good one but most double actions fit and feel better.

You can buy a buck mark or ruger MKIII far below your price range. The buckmark is easier to brake down for cleaning just buy one of target models. Both are about the same for accuracy with a better aftermarket for parts.

Still your problem to choice.
  4. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

That was my first thought as well. I wonder what DD can get one for?
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Ditto to that; it's a gun that you most likely will never want to get rid of. Very versatile, useful and fun to shoot.
  6. alex.cirabisi

alex.cirabisi Member

THATS IT! lol i was scratchin and rackin my brain because I knew there was a gun similar to the MKIII and it was the buckmark. my budy told me about it and i just couldnt think of it. thanks for yall opinion!
  7. mr.t7024

mr.t7024 Member

ofitg has got the right idea, and that Mark III is also a very nice firearm!:)
  8. dustydog

dustydog New Member

You might want to look at the Taurus .22 mag revolvers as well.Saw a Raging Bull in .22 mag NIB at the last Richmond ,Va. gunshow for $350 out the door.
  9. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

You won't go wrong with either the Ruger SA convertible revolver or the Ruger automatic.

Another choice would be a used Colt Frontier SA .22. They are a bit pricey but still usually under your $500 limit. The Colt Frontier is a great-shooting gun that will keep it value.

Overall a Ruger is your best bet IMO.
  10. Diamondback

Diamondback Active Member

I vote for the Ruger single six convertible. I own one that I bought in 1967 and it has never failed to work regardless of the conditions. It comes with 2 cylinders 1-.22lr and 1-.22mag. This fills your requirements to have 1 gun that will fire both cartridges. If the new Rugers are built to the same standards you will own it for a lifetime and one of your offspring will be able to pass it along to their offspring. Choose wisely.
  11. alex.cirabisi

alex.cirabisi Member

i chose to purchase the ruger mkIII for the availability of aftermarket upgrades which i already have some VQ parts and a new tac solutions barrel coming in for it. and the single six convertible is on " Lay away " because they didnt have it in stock. i paid $359.99 for the mkIII. and put $100 down on the parts once they come in and put $150 on the single six.
  12. Jaxshooter

Jaxshooter New Member

You might be able to find a nice used Smith & Wesson 617 10 shot for the amount you want to spend. They are 22 lr only but a very nice and accurate revolver. They also make speed loaders for it that really help you put rounds down range. They are available in both 4" and 6" barrel versions. I originally had a 6" and sold it to buy the 4". It is a matter of personal preference but I felt like the 4" balanced better.
  13. Rhuga

Rhuga Member

The Ruger Mark III is a great .22 pistol. I have the Target Model at a cost of about $320.00. Its tuff, easy to shoot, and very accurate.
  14. Albtraum

Albtraum Active Member

Like what ofitg said, and almost everyone else, I think the Ruger is exactly what you are looking for.
  15. Judge Carter

Judge Carter New Member

I would find a range or dealer that rents handguns. The fit of a gun is a very personal thing. Take the recommendations from here and try them out. See what feels good after 100-200 rounds. Besides, you get to do a lot of shooting while you decide. Then realize that buying guns is like eating potato chips. You just can't stop at one.