The Firearms Forum banner

Suggestions for a good bolt action .22 that's suitable for HV

4K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  gvw3 
#1 ·
So there's a million threads discussing .22's and the use of hyper-velocity ammo.

I have a fairly large supply of what I think is the hottest .22 ammo around... Aguilla supermax. For those not familiar, these are the ones with the slightly longer case but the same OAL. Advertised FPS of 1750 which I cannot personally verify, but can swear has the loudest report of any .22 ammo I've ever heard, and will blow an apple up like you hit it with a .45.

Anyway, I've been shooting it through my 10/22 without issue, but have been thinking I might want to shoot the rest of it through a bolt gun.

I've read here and elsewhere that another concern with this ammo beside receiver/bolt wear is the rifling in the barrel. Specifically brands that have "micro-groove" rifling.

That being said, I'm hoping for some suggestions on a relatively inexpensive
.22 that would fit this bill.

Thank you for any input.

#2 · (Edited)
I would look at the Ruger New American Rifle in 22 if I were you.

In awesome rifle. I have one in 22 Mag

tang safety
free floating, hammer forged barrel
user adjustable trigger
Ruger's new bedding process
interchangable stock cheek welds
front hi viz site
it uses the standard 10/22 rotary magazine

the reciever is also tapped for Weaver mounts

what's not to like??

#3 ·

tang safety
user adjustable trigger
front hi viz site

I have and I like it, but pertaining to my original question since I plan to use super-hot ammo is this something I should be concerned about?

"Additional features include a satin blued, target-crowned, hammer-forged barrel that results in ultra- precise rifling for exceptional accuracy,"

#5 ·
CC you can't live long enough to shoot out any make rife barrel with any ammo. Buy what ever brand you like from marlin to cz and then hope the ammo and barrel get along well enough to off some decent accuracy. You could also buy a heavy recoil spring and bolt buffer from KIDD. I have a fiend that shoots the same ammo and he uses a 10/22 with the 21" barrel and this too parts. The buffer was home made . SS 1/8" rod and 1/8" vent hose. Not match grade accurate but he does control has gardens varments with it from a 100 yards.

The 2 parts below will recoil bolt velocity and soften the rearward movement of the bolt.

http://www.coolguyguns.com/Ruger-10-22-Bolt-Buffer_p_12.html
http://www.coolguyguns.com/Ruger-10-22-Timing-Spring_p_133.html

#6 ·
cz makes some fine single action bolt rifles in .22LR
There have been some reports that hyper velocity ammo may be harder to chamber in CZ's, because of the longer case and also reports of them firing while the bolt is being locked down. If you can chamber them and lock the bolt, the CZ is more than strong enough to shoot them all day.;)

#7 ·

tang safety
user adjustable trigger
front hi viz site

I have and I like it, but pertaining to my original question since I plan to use super-hot ammo is this something I should be concerned about?

"Additional features include a satin blued, target-crowned, hammer-forged barrel that results in ultra- precise rifling for exceptional accuracy,"
that rifle is good for any factory loaded rimfire ammo you can put in it.
the chamber is where the most pressure is, not the barrel

#8 ·
the chamber is where the most pressure is, not the barrel[/QUOTE]

I'm not worried about pressure damaging a chamber or the barrel. Posts I've read have warned about barrels like a Marlin "microgroove" barrel or similar can be leaded up by use of the really HV stuff.

#9 ·
the chamber is where the most pressure is, not the barrel
I'm not worried about pressure damaging a chamber or the barrel. Posts I've read have warned about barrels like a Marlin "microgroove" barrel or similar can be leaded up by use of the really HV stuff.[/QUOTE]

as far as I know, the Ruger American Rimfire series does not advertise a micro groove barrel

#11 ·
I'm not worried about pressure damaging a chamber or the barrel. Posts I've read have warned about barrels like a Marlin "microgroove" barrel or similar can be leaded up by use of the really HV stuff.
If you are worried about leading up a Marlin, then don't buy a Marlin.

Personally I like Savage. They have several affordable 22 bolt guns,
any of which will work just dandy with your HV ammo.

#14 ·
For those aguila hypers and cci stingers there is nothing better than a remington 5-teen. that 25" barrel wrings every bit of the velocity out of them.

of course it does the opposite for standard loadings.

#15 ·
I'm thinking about getting the Ruger AR rimfire in .22LR.

From what I read there is no difference in accuracy between the 22" and 18" barrels so I may just go with the shorter one for ease of storage and space in the pickup.

Sounds like an excellent weapon and the price is sure good for Ruger quality.

#20 ·
In my opinion, almost any bolt rifle will handle the pressure, leading is incidental because of the solvents that are now available. Find a gun that fits you well and has what you want for any features, even if it is the type of scope mounting, barrel length or profile ect... I do not believe that chamber length of diameter should matter for new production ammo in most bolt rifles.

I personally like the older Mossbergs, they are well built and generally not too expensive.

#21 ·
My personal experience has been that hypervelocity .22LR is not as accurate as Standard or high velocity.
If I feel the need for higher speeds than High Velocity can give, I break out the Marlin 25MN in .22WMR or my BRNO in .22 Hornet.
Like a good golfer, a good rifleman has several 'clubs' in his bag.

#22 ·
Well, since this thread has been resuscitated. I suppose I should report the results.
Thanks to all for the replies. I wasn't ever really worried about chamber pressure, more barrel leading. I know I can get it out, but spending a long time cleaning up a $150-$300 gun isn't my idea of fun, careless .22 shooting :).
Anyway, since this post 3 new .22s have come my way and the one that I bought to fulfill the need was the Ruger American. Really like it and the rifling doesn't lead up with the Hypervelocity rounds. So far so good. Highly recommended rifle.

#23 ·
I own an old Winchester Md. 72a and I could shoot hyper velocity ammo but don't. If I want to shoot faster or farther I grab my hornet.
I didn't know that the hyper ammo had a longer case. But if it does it would chamber in any 22 long rifle because the 22 head spaces on the rim and not on the case mouth. And because all 22 ammo packs a healed bullet the chambers are long enough to accept the longer case. Be careful with some of the older guns because a few were only chambered for 22 longs and a very few for 22 shorts.
Pick what ever modern rifle you like best.

#25 ·
I have had Marlins, Rugers, Winchester's, Mossberg's, and so on, and none have them have patterned well with hyper velocities. So I bought a Marlin .22 magnum. I'm happy, but I know of several woodchucks and a spattering of foxes who are not. One other note, I enjoy plinking with either a Ruger 45/22 or a Bearcat, and have found that anything that says HYPER on it is not enjoyable to listen to coming out of a handgun. In fact I believe the crickets I hear year around are from firing one round through my Bearcat without ear protection. (In my defense I did not expect to fire the weapon but the snake (which I almost stepped on) had ignored my flapping arms and high pitched screams).

#27 ·
You have a link? Although first thoughts that comes to mind is any company that reports their product rocks, is just selling something. I once bought a deodorant that said women would flock to me and I had to run like heck to catch the one I got. ;)

Reactions: gvw3
#28 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.