Suggestions for a newbie turkey hunter?

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by warpig, Feb 24, 2003.

1. warpig

warpig Guest

SkiingFool1974
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/16/02 2:41:20 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Suggestions for a newbie turkey hunter?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It looks like I'm going to be going turkey hunting for the first time, and was wondering if anyone has any pointers? I've been told that trying to call them in in the fall just doesn't work, and that I'd need to flush them out. Somehow that doesn't sound like something I'd want to do while in camo, especially considering the post on the general discussion board. If it matters, I'll be hunting on a 200 +/- acre parcel of private land in upstate NY that is posted, so it should just be myself and a couple friends.

Thanks,
    Evan

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/16/02 2:32:44 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Suggestions for a newbie turkey hunter?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yes, turkeys CAN be called in during the fall.

Get a jake turkey call - strange thing about these birds is that the whole flock goes to the lost bird, instead of the other way around.

Try to find a roosting tree during scouting trips (DON'T get near it!) and wait for them to come down. Once on the ground, they'll start feeding and you'll have a good chance of getting one.

Most states have "any turkey" in the fall - hens and jakes taste better than a tough ol' Tom, anyway.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

JackRyann
    (10/17/02 1:01:51 am)
    Don't wear or take anything red, white or blue.
    Grill it and kill it! Or some thing like that.

the real fredneck
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/18/02 7:54:53 pm)
    comfortable footwear, have to do a LOT more walking in the fall than spring unless you're just one of them naturally lucky guys

280freak
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/18/02 9:34:33 pm)
    You can just grab 'em right out of the air, ya know!

Well, ya kinda had to have been here to get that!

SkiingFool1974
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/27/02 12:17:08 am)
    Thanks for all the info. I went out the past 2 weekends, got rained on for 2 days, and saw a couple deer, but no turkeys.... oh well, at least I found what looks like a good spot for my deer stand

Evan

JackRyann
    (10/28/02 3:45:48 am)
    Come visit me in Indiana this spring.

I'm see'n 'em from the front porch 5 days out of 7 right now. 'course they aren't in season in the fall.
    Grill it and kill it! Or some thing like that.

Zigzag2
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (10/28/02 9:09:23 am)
    Try a Butterball with the POP-UP timer

SkiingFool1974
    V.I.P. Member
    (10/28/02 9:15:48 am)
    I think that's what I'm gonna do Zig, pick up a ButterBall, put a party hat on it, a cigarette in it's mouth, and have a beer sittin next to it, and call it a wild turkey.