Suggestions for red dot for S&W 41

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by leadbum, Jul 1, 2008.

1. leadbum

leadbum New Member

I just ordered a new S&W 41 today and I'm hoping some of you 41ers have some experience with red dot sights on your guns. I have a Beretta Neos with a Sightmark on it, but I've had problems with it and want a better one for the 41. The Sightmark dot sometimes disappears right in the middle of a match.

I'd like to keep the cost under $200, but I'm willing to consider more if that's what it takes to get a reliable sight.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  2. Swede

Swede New Member

I don't have a S&W 41 but I do have a red dot on my charger. It's a Truglow. I bought it to see how I liked a red dot and only paid $50 for it. So far I haven't had a problem with it. Some time it is hard to see the dot on paper in bright sunlight.
    I would rather have a holo sight but a guy at work is on his 4th one. So unless you want to pay $400 for one I think you are better off with a scope.
  3. leadbum

leadbum New Member

Thanks, Swede. I've never seen a holo sight, so I don't know if would be worth the extra cash. I'd appreciate hearing from anyone whose had both.
  4. golflender

golflender New Member

just got a new 41,, a holo sight on it would be cool,,
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

Most of the red dots of the style of the Sightmark leave something to be desired for me. I like the small size but the adjustment of the windage is usally done on the mount and is less than perfect. Tube red dots do the adjustments internally rather than externally as do most Sightmark style red dots. I had a BSA version and it would turn off and on and the windage adjustment was not accurate at all and would not stay put.

Another disadvantage of the small red dot is their sighting accuracy is limited by their size. Just as in steel sights, the sight radius impacts sighting accuracy (longer is better and allows more accurate sighting). Red dots reflect the image of a LED off the glass lenses and the distance from the LED to the glass lens is a measure of the accuracy of sighting. Long tubed red dots are therefore more accurate in sighting than short little "Holo" Sightmark style red dots.

I think the best red dot for the least money is the one inch tubed UltraDot with the single reticule. It is priced close to $125 (street price) and is simple which can make it more reliable. I have several and they work great.

I hate that the small red dots are called "holographic" when they are not holographic at all. The Bushnell is holograhic (uses a laser and a hologram to form the recticule image, not a LED---Light Emitting Diode). Because of the added complexity of the true holograhic sights the costs are rather high, so I don't have one.

LDBennett
  6. Erich

Erich New Member

Albuquerque NM USA - 6000' above sea level
    I just bought a Burris Fastfire for my AR, and I have to say that I'm very pleased with it. It is under $200 at Midway, including mount.
  7. Tom

Tom Member

I use iron sights on my 41, but I have an Ultradot LT on a Ruger MK II 678GC. It works great.
  8. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

I have two barrels for my 41. The 5 1/2" has the factory irons and the 7.5" has a discontinued Leupold/ Gillmore red dot for a rifle. It has a very small, but very intense dot that if you turn up the brightness on it, it appears to grow in size somewhat. They also made a handgun version with a larger tube and a bigger dot. Quality is very good as well, with the mechanicals working in a predictable manner. Personally I prefer the small dot version to get the most out of a 41. Best reguards Kirk
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

300 H&H:

Most red dots work the way you describe.... the higher the intensity the more the dot "blooms" and gets larger.

If I'm at an indoors range I adjust the size to exactly match the central part of the bullseye of the target. Outdoors I adjust the intensity to the point where the dot is just visible. Outdoors the intensity control must be much higher than indoors.

I too only have the smaller dot red dots. The big dot red dots are for tactical games and fast target acquisition in the sight. Target shooters need precision in sighting not speed in target acquisition.

I really like the bottom of the line single dot UltraDot one inch tube type red dot. It is priced right and works great. It is several steps above the bargain cheapy ones that are not reliable enough for me.

LDBennett
  10. Renee

Renee New Member

I'm new to this and here goes, I have a S&W mod. 41, very nice. It shoots very tight groups out of the box and a scope may not be worth the $$$. It's only my thought.
    A scope may make it weigh more and you may have more control.

Renee
  11. LDBennett

LDBennett Active Member

Recently I did a lot of testing with and without red dots. Red dots make a significant difference in the scores on targets shot with them. When you can sight better, you can shoot better, even though the gun may be very accurate with open sights. But part of the limits on scores is YOU. The steadier you are and the better your technique, the better your score, regardless the sighting system or the gun's inherent accuracy. And practice makes perfect!

The bottom line is red dots make accurate sighting easier. Old eyes need all the help they can get since they have extreme difficulty rapidly shifting the focus back and forth between the front sight and the target and back again. I know, the front sight should be sharp and the rear sight and the target fuzzy. But accurate sighting is easier if your eyes are young and can shift focus rapidly back and forth or you use a red dot. Another feature of red dots is you can shoot with both eyes open. That's hard to do with open sights, at least for me.

There is a reason that today's Bullseye and other competition shooters use red dots. They help your scores significantly.

LDBennett
  12. getgot

getgot New Member

check out the Nikon Monarch red dot..it is sweet,,,about $239.00.........very nice red dot with Nikon quality and service
  13. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I put a Tasco Pro-Point on mine (around $70 delivered) from Midway. Mine projects red and green dots on the lense. Zero magnification and each color has 5 brightness settings. I have been very happy with mine. Be carefull of the short bodied red dots as the rail on top may not accept the mounting cross bolts.