Suggestions please.... Pocket gun for "big guy"

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by terryu1, Mar 30, 2012.

1. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

So I am itching to spend some cash on another gun not that My not so rich uncle hit me up for over $4000 in unpaid taxes this year. Only a matter of time until they want it all.

Issue is that I am a 3xl guy and in summer I still like to wear shorts. Sometimes I wear athletic nylon shorts and if I put my Taurus 24/7 Pro C .40 in pocket or on waistband the shorts will be around my ankles in short notice. Trust me NO ONE wants to see that. Not even me.

I am considering a "pocket gun" for summer use or just to grab to be much less conspicious. I am concerned about room in trigger guard for my fingers which unfortunatly are porportioned to the rest of me. I would like something in a .380 or 9mm. Cheaper than the .40 to play with also.

Additionally, what about a .22magnum? or other .22. Waste of money or not?? I know if someone were shooting at me with one I would turn the other way. I guess if you hit someone enough times they will stop anyway.

Any help of thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I have the corners wore off this "Cheaper than Dirt" catalog looking for ideas.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Occasionally, around the house, in the summer I wear a pair of elastic-waist gym shorts, and in the winter I wear sweat pants. With either of them, when I go outside, so stick a gun in my pocket or my waistband, before I make it to the mailbox I am having to hold my pants up.

The latest I've tried is a Smith 317 22 revolver. Weight 8 ounces, loaded. EIGHT FLIPPIN' OUNCES!! How much lighter is it possible to go? With that one, I can actually make it to the mailbox, but by the time I get back to the door, I look like one of them gang-banger wannabes. I be saggin'.

Only solution I've found is to wear pants with a solid waistband and a belt.
  3. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Check the Ruger LC9. Small, 9mm, and might accomodate your fingers. Most .380's might be too small triggerwise.
  4. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

How about the bersa thunder 380 concealed carry.
  5. Capt Mac Turk

Capt Mac Turk New Member

So Fla-- NO place to Shoot AKA "TFF" Posting Clo
    LOL Hey Terry as a Kid heres what I used to hear you ever heard this?

You Are Not Fat - You're Just A Little Husky.jpg

Sorry could not resist.
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I'm just so tickled to see someone make a poster like that and use correct English.
  7. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

I love this forum. The only thing I need is a campfire and a cooler of beverages. I too am a 3xl and never go unarmed. I am also a seasoned citizen and have carried a firearm since 1969. By no means am I an expert, but I am compulsive shopper/gadget person. I've settled on the following weapons.
    ELASTIC WAIST SHORTS
    All year long, when in elastic waist shorts, a Freedom Arms .22. It fires five .22 long rifle cartridges in single action. As a PO many autopsies were attended looking for a .22 bullet or two or three. This gun is best used while ducking and dodging, moving away from the attacker and finding a place to hide.
    PANTS WITH A BELT.
    Year round, be it jeans or cargo pants, paired with a tshirt or polo I have a Ruger .380 in my front right pocket. It is thin, and light. Last year I had two investigations dealing with murders where a .380 was used. (I'm now a PI) The autopsy pictures were amazing. Even the full metal jacket caused massive damage and death. ( I realize the difference between .40, .357, 9MM etc, and the bigger the better, but the .380 when accurate (or unlucky on the victim's part) is deadly. I found a phone holder that clips on my belt that holds a second magazine. Often when I take my pants off the .380 stays in the pocket. I get dressed, I'm armed. Then gun is a close range gun, and I practice and intend to fire three rounds rapid fire, two center mass and one tween the eyes, and then repeat as needed. I'm still going to be ducking and dodging, but may not have to hide.
    UNDER A JACKET
    .40 caliber Glock model 27 (although I rechambered mine with a lone wolf barrell to 9MM from .40) When going into "hot spots" it goes back to .40, normal "I shouldn't expect trouble" areas it's a 9MM.
    This goes in a Blackhawk Serpa paddle holster.
    Both pocket pistols sit in handmade vinyl sleeves. (be alert, when sitting in the vehicle, if someone starts to approach, have the weapon out of the pants pocket as it's hard to dig it out in a hurry.)
    ARROUND THE HOUSE
    My S&W 4" model .66 with .357 125 JHPs is within reach as well as my Mossberg youth model .20 ga. shotgun with 4 buck.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  8. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

Ha Ha. Yeah they even had "husky" sizing for kids clothes. Politically incorrect now. Not insulted in the least Capt Mac.
  9. red14

red14 Well-Known Member

I always liked 'stout'.;)
  10. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Well-Known Member Supporting Member

These are what I carry mostly. LCP .380 and LCR .357. Ether can be carried in your pocket especially if you are a big dude. I carry the LCP in my pocket and the LCR in my waistband. I was considering the LCR 9 but it is a bit too big for my pocket.

Attached Files:

11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I just use the Smart Carry System. http://www.smartcarry.com/index.html As you can see it comes in several sizes. I carry a 1911A1 most of the time, but I can also carry a .38 snubie in it too. Elastic waist band type shorts are about all I wear from March - October.

Attached Files:

12. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

:p:p:p
    "EXCUSE ME WHILE I WHIP THIS OUT."
    :eek::eek::)
  13. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Alpo, can we get a pic of you in that "gang-banger" wannabe pose? Pleassee? And jstgsn, when you state carver will say "excuse me while I whip this out", are you talking about his 1911 or his "38 snubbie"? :eek:And terry, +1 for the Ruger LCP .380.
  14. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I'm not a 3x, but I ain't little. I usually carry a Sig P238 on my belt and I ALWAYS wear Hawaiian shirts so they cover the pistol without any problem. There are times that I stick one of the little North American Arms .22 Magnum revolvers in my pocket. I don't think a .22 Mag is a waste of money, I would rather be armed with even a .22 Short than nothing at all!!
  15. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I gurantee you that I can "whip it out"! :eek: :D