Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by aka ninjacore, Dec 29, 2007.

1. aka ninjacore

aka ninjacore New Member

Hello, im obviously new here (so sorry if this isnt in the right place or has been asked a million times), im looking to buy a handgun soon, and other than knowing that i want to get one, im not too familiar with the different types.

i have been looking at the big names websites (glock, s&w, etc.) im looking for something for self defense, that has power, and is affordable (less than 500).

so what would you guys suggest and why?

(noob alert, hopefully no flaming :) )
  2. Xaiver56

Xaiver56 New Member

welcome to the tff. I was once new to firearms as well and I know how hard it is to decide on one. I would suggest to go to a range and rent several different firearms and find one that feels right to you. But I would like to suggest trying the Springfield Armory XD in 9mm it is a fantasic firearm, and even though it was my first firearm, it is still my favorite!!!!
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi ninjacore.....welcome to TFF. :)

Nope, no flaming here.....everybody started off as a novice at one time.

If you're not familiar with handguns, and not familiar with handling and shooting handguns, I'd suggest you start off with .22 rimfire.

While .22 is not a self defense cartridge, it is a great learning tool. It has minimal recoil, is highly accurate, and is cheap and fun to shoot.

The minimal recoil is important. Often, if you start off with a large caliber weapon, the recoil can build a "flinch" into your shooting.

Also, learning to handle a handgun properly requires a lot of shooting. Large caliber ammo is expen$ive......22 rf is cheap, thus encouraging lots of shooting.

It's best to learn to crawl before you walk, and walk before you run! :D
  4. azsigman

azsigman New Member

Welcome Ninjacore,
    Xracer's advice about a .22rf is right on the money. Even tho' I've shot for years, I still have a .22 Ruger Mkll for fun and practice. Take a look at one. They are well within your price range, very well made and accurate.
    Another thing I strongly recommend is basic training in handgun shooting. You'll benefit sooooo much from it and avoid alot of frustration and safety mistakes that will be a danger to you and others.
    Just my opinion, but I would stick with a barrel length of 4" to 6". Snubbies are great for concealed carry but, usually, do very little to help you attain accuracy.
    Best of luck to you and welcome to a great sport.
  5. aka ninjacore

aka ninjacore New Member

Thanks for the welcoming everyone!

I guess i was wrong when i said completely new. I have shot .22 shorts out of a rifle on several occasions. the closest gun store to my house has an indoor range, where you can shoot before you buy, and i was definitely planning on taking advantage of that.

im just trying to get an idea of the different types of models, and the pros/cons of each ones.

also, are handgun training courses difficult to find? or is it something you can look up in the phonebook?

thanks a lot everyone for the input!
  6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

look into one of S&W's sigma series pistols. they offer them in 9mm and .40 S&W and are nearly identical to a glock both in function and ergonomics. and a brand spankin new one will run you about 400 bucks max...
  7. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Welcome Ninjacore,

My usual suggestion to beginning handgunners is to start with a revolver. They are simpler to operate and therefore much safer for the novice. Many of us who have a great deal of experience still prefer a revolver for those very reasons. Besides, they are easier to keep clean.

You will also find that revolvers are quite adequate for self defense and very well suited for target practace. Consider a 357 magnum as you can practice with cheaper 38 special ammo (it will chamber and fire both). A revolver with a 4" barrel is a good compromise between accuracy and ease of carry (if you plan to carry the gun for self defense). Should you find the 357 too heavy for concealed carry, a light-weight 38 special is a good choice as well.

Call your local gun shop for advice on training. They will be privy to local clubs and seminars offering firearm safety classes.
  8. justdoug

justdoug New Member

This Taurus PT92 came with the case in the pic, 4 magazines (10/10/15/17), a nice nylon holster, 100rds of 9mm, and the best part: My wife is the one who came home with this deal. You can get a Beretta for right at $500 but she got all of this for $440 and some change. This is a whole lot of pistol for under $500 and it might suit you too. It's a very simple design, easy to clean, mild recoil, fun to shoot, and fairly inexpensive (the gun itself and ammunition).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  9. First off, welcome to TFF, ninja! Glad to have you with us. :D

The choices available for a self-defense handgun are often overwhelming. First of all, you need to decide how you anticipate using the weapon, ninja, that is, are you planning to use it only for in-home defense, or do you have plans to get a CCW (conceal carry permit) and carry it on your person part of the time? Are you the only one who might use the weapon, or will others in your household also be expected to rely on it? For example, you might find a pistol in .45 ACP suits you well, but your wife might find it a bit too much to handle, so that is always a consideration.

Speaking broadly, you have two basic choices: a pistol (a semi-automatic handgun, often called simply an auto) or a revolver (sometimes referred to as a "wheel gun"). Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Generally speaking, a revolver is simpler to operate and less prone to mechanical problems than a pistol. It is easier to load and unload as well. The chief disadvantage to a revolver over a pistol (auto) is that it normally holds only 5 or 6 rounds, whereas a pistol will hold anywhere from 10 to 15 on average. Xracer's suggestion of a .22 is a good one, mostly because of its lack of recoil and the inexpensive practice it affords. Unfortunately, a .22 is not a good self-defense round because of its relatively small stopping power.

Just to give you a place to begin, in a revolver I would look at the .38 specials by Smith and Wesson, with either a 3 or 4 inch barrel, or even a 6 inch if the weapon will not be carried concealed. The 2 inch snubbies are also good, but harder to learn to shoot accurately. In an auto pistol, I would look hard at the many fine 9mm pistols available. Personally, I like the Glock pistols, but some do not. A Steyr or a Ruger are also excellent choices and fit fairly well into the price range you mentioned.

Finally, don't be afraid to ask questions here on TFF. Trust me, you won't get flamed. Everyone has to learn and the folks around here know and appreciate that.

Oh, and I'm going to move this thread to the Self-Defense Forum where I think you will get more responses than here.

Again, welcome to TFF!
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2007
  10. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Welcome to The Firearms Forum.

Good advice above.
    Lots of choices out there, just remember, you get what you pay for.
    Don't get something just because it is cheap.
  11. aka ninjacore

aka ninjacore New Member

thanks a lot for all the advice everyone.

its all being taken into consideration right now :)
  12. pac201

pac201 New Member

ninja if you will check with your local pd or so they probably offer some type of training at a reasonable or free price. we do. NW Al.
  13. KUFFAAR

KUFFAAR New Member

under 5 bills you might wanna keep in mind the price of ammo. 9mm cheap and fun to shoot.40 more self defence and mild cheap lil more than 9mm. 45 more kick i find 1911 very nice to shoot. 357 mag stopping power very accurate and bonus can shoot 38 specials. 22 very fun to shoot cheap ammo but not much stopping power unless shooting squares
  14. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

What are you planning on using the handgun for? Will it be in the home, a carry gun, car gun, target parctice or hunting and woods carry? Have you any experience handling and shooting a firearm?
  15. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

No matter what you get it must fit you and be in a caliber you can handle. Always try as many as possible for fit and feel then do searches on any issues and make your choice. Sometimes even after much hunting the choices are still overwhelming.