Suggestions, though you've probably been asked 1000 times before

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gipper, Mar 5, 2004.

1. gipper

gipper New Member

I know you guys have probably heard this question one too many times before, but I'm going to be brave and throw it out there..

Looking to buy my first handgun, self defense in the house and just fun shootin at the range..

like to start with a 9mm but budget is an issue
    is it possible for me to find a reliable safe 9mm for around 400 possibly cheaper that I wont be embarassed to shoot at the range, and most importantly wont blow up in my hands

I like the sig 228 and beretta 92, well and of course the 45 1911, awesome gun, any comparable suggestions

Anyones insight would be helpful,
    Thanks,
    --Casey
  2. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Welcome to TFF gipper

Rugers are an "ok" choice in the cheap department.....
    Not as good as others, but much better than Lorcin or any of the other cheapies.......

mike
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2004
  3. gipper

gipper New Member

thanks mike, been readin on here for a little while now, enough to know you decided to buy a toilet instead of a 1911, I guess we all have our priorities ... and I think yours are like mine :)
  4. gipper

gipper New Member

what do you think about taurus?
  5. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I've owned alot of different firearms in my time, but not a taurus or an Hk......

I do know that the rugers are cheap pricewise and do function pretty good......they're just ugly as sin though...

When this post rolls arround to tomorrow I'm sure alot more people will have input on the taurus.....

mike
  6. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi gipper.......welcome to TFF.

For around that money, you can get a Springfield Armory Mil-Spec. M1911A1 in .45ACP.

Well made, fun for plinking, and a sure man-stopper for home defense.
  7. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Hi gipper and welocme to TFF. I'll second the SA 1911.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2004
  8. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Racer said it all.

The inexpensive Springfield is now listed on their web site as a GI model but it is every bit a great weapon and any other Springfield. I love mine and wouldn't trade it for all the tea in China. Incidentally, I have carried for over 40 years now and wish I'd had the 1911 earlier.

Glad to have you at TFF. Hope you will join us often.
  9. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Welcome Gipper and keep asking. Get a Makorov, just about fits every requirement starting with price and ending in protection.
  10. gipper

gipper New Member

ya, I love the 1911, a guy at the range last week let me shoot his, I was in love :) but the only thing I dont like is 45 ammo prices, so I'd kinda rather stick w/ 9mm for now

also, I was reading up on the makarov from earlier posts, they are relatively cheap, are they good fireing weapons? hows the action and feel?
  11. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

They shoot well and ammo is cheap! Trigger when in DA leaves a little to be desired as well as smaller sights but fit and finish is quite good even on the lowly Bulgerian make.
  12. gipper

gipper New Member

what would you say is the best make of these, the russian made?

cheap ammo, decent cheap gun, the more you say cheap the more you're talking me into it
  13. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

I wanted to add another vote for the 1911. Springfields out here go for $399 and will last a lifetime. Makarovs are my ladies favorite because they have less kick. For home defense most people will recommend the .45acp, although with the right ammo a 9mm will do almost as well.
    Ruger - what can I say. I had an old P-series as a child. After well over 10,000 rounds my only complaint was that it left too much powder on my hands. Function was nearly flawless. If kept clean, I would trust it with my life. Sadly I sold the ruger to help fund my new toy - you guessed it - a 1911.
    Buy what feels most natural. A well placed 9x18 Makarov will stop more than a .45acp that you can't hit with.
    In summary -
    Ruger 9mm - Loved it, trusted it, want it back
    Mak - Only shot other peoples, but they felt and fired very well
    My favorite gun I own - Kimber target 1911
    For home defense - buy a 12 gauge shotgun
  14. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Yes, gipper the Russian is the best for fit and finish, but honestly you wouldn't find much fault with the Bulgerian, and for CCW carry it is easier to conceal. Do a seardh in our want adds here usually someone has them listed for sale.
  15. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I have a Ruger P85 with only about 50K rounds through it, so far. The only malfunctions I have had, I can blame on ammo. Ugly, yes. Especially when you are looking down the wrong end of the barrel. :D

Pops
  16. keppler

keppler New Member

Just wondering...how are the CZ pistols compared to the others? I'm not all that familiar with pistols.
  17. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Pretty darn reliable from what I've heard.......

mike
  18. Brob73

Brob73 New Member

I agree with most everyone else, 1911's rule the world!

Makorov: I own an E.German version and it's probably the only weapon I've had that was flawless in function. I've shot this gun more than any other I own. it's never jammed or misfired. Very durable and reliable.
    But,..for home defense you can't beat the shotgun.

Just "imagine" you're a criminal creepin' into someone's home... and you all of a sudden hear the distinctive sound of the action of a .12ga pump. (cha chank!) Scary!!:eek:
  19. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Gipper, are you married? If so, keep your wife in mind when you're considering home defense, and make sure whatever gun you end up with is one that she will be both willing and able to use.

... and take her to the range with you. Who knows, you may find her to be a great shooting partner! :)
  20. IShootBack

IShootBack Active Member

Welcome.

You can't go wrong with a Glock.
    Simple to operate.
    Simple to maintain.
    Accurate.
    Used ones can be had in my neck of the woods in your price range.

Stay away from cheap junk.

ISB