summer conceal carry

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Chuck B, May 15, 2008.

1. Chuck B

Chuck B New Member

Springfield 1911 is my carry weapon during the winter. I'm considering something different for summer as it is hot and muggy where I live (and I sweat profusely). One of my first choices so far is the Glock 36: lightweight, slim package, .45 ammo, non-corrosive, reasonable price, & feels good.

Any thoughts? Other ideas that might fit the bill?

If I go with the 36...does anyone have suggestions for holsters they would recommend?

Blessings,

Chuck B
  2. AngelDeville

AngelDeville New Member

IMNSHO the 36/30 Glock is so wide it kinda defeats the purpose of having a concealable gun. one of the Kahr .40 or 9mm's would be a good choice.

or even an OM/compact 1911...
  3. Chuck B

Chuck B New Member

Thanks Angel. I'm looking for a .45. I'm sure the Kahr is a good gun. It is a bit thinner (.10in)...If I wanted a pocket pistol I'd probably go with the new Ruger .380 (which I may do eventually).

thanks again, cb
  4. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

That new Ruger LCP looks conspiciously similar to a Kel-Tec 3AT. Granted, I haven't ever held one of the Rugers, but...

I like Ruger a lot, but I don't know that I would pay more for that logo on essentially the same weapon.
  5. Chuck B

Chuck B New Member

You are absolutely right about the Ruger and its similarity to the Kel-tec.

Personally, I'll pay the difference. I've had, and probably will always have, one or more Rugers. I'll bet my life on them. The Glock, however, is new to me and so I've requested some intput on the G36.

Blessings,

Chuck B
  6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

I just looked it up, Chuck, and the difference in MSRP for the two is $6 ($324 for the Kel-tec, $330 for the Ruger), so I would probably pay that, too.
  7. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Holsters.....

I like Don Hume leather holsters. Very happy with 715 series for IWB. (The clip makes it easy to take off and replace when getting in/out vehicles. The holsters are molded so well to each model it rides secure with no strap needed.)

They come in basic black or different browns/tans.

Never paid more than $30 for one and so far all holding up like new...have a few years of carry on my Glock 17 Don Hume too.
  8. But Delta, do they make one big enough to carry your M131 Vulcan? :D;):p
  9. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Ah but my heart belongs to the M242:D
  10. Chuck B

Chuck B New Member

Thanks for the input guys.

I can get the Ruger .380 at my gun store for $285. Last I checked they had 25 names on a waiting list.

The Don Hume IWB is a good choice...I've got one for my 1911 and I like it.

Take care,

cb
  11. I can't argue with that! A Bushmaster 25mm chain gun would ruin any bad guy's day. Humping it might be a bit of a chore though, unless you have a Bradley handy. :D;):rolleyes:
  12. UncleFudd

UncleFudd Member

ChuckB

I don't know about the G36 for carry as I have never done so. But another possible solution comes up when I read your q.

I too carry 1911 exclusively, summer and winter. So it is not a question of changing guns, as opposed to holster wear when it gets above 100 as it did today here in Phx Az. It was 111 I think and will get hotter tomorrow.

I have a dilemma as do you as I sweat a lot at this time and not wanting to change guns for a number of reasons I change my holster so I do not sweat through onto my gun. I carry Don Hume, Milt Sparks or Galco depending on my mode of dress for the day or evening.

I carry IWB also and on a good day I will have to wipe down my gun and lightly oil it three to four times a day. Not fun but absolutely necessary.
    So my fix is to go with a good Kydex for the summer months and the sweat problem goes away and I am able to stay with the gun(s) that I train and shoot. I do not have to retrain myself which is another element at my age. I turned 65 today.

just some more food for thought.

UF
  13. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

I carry my USPc during the summer IWB. The only limitation I can find is that it requires a good belt, I think most of it is the weight of the USPc but I was kind of hoping the belt-hook would slide over sweat-shorts without a problem :(.

I wear an undershirt, so maybe I just don't sweat as much as some guys, but I don't see sweat being a problem, the gun itself isn't touching skin anywhere, so it would have to sweat through the shirt. I'm not super-prone to heat but humidity is what gets me, I can definitely feel the humidity back here in the NW (longing for my A/C duplex back in humid-free Spokane :mad:), but I know many areas are much more humid than here.
  14. ckill1

ckill1 New Member

I carry the G30 daily, in a bianchi belt slide and have no problems concealing under t-shirt. I am 6' 1" and about 195 lbs. Also like the gun in a galco SOB, more concealable, slower and less comfortable while sitting, tho. I looked at the 36 before buying the 30, but didnt like giving up the extra rounds for less than 1/8th inch difference in width. If you want really small, Kahr has a new .45 that is TINY! Only 5 + 1, but gets really good reviews. Hope this helps...
  15. user

user New Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    I think the overall best choice for compromising between size, weight, value, reliability, capacity, caliber, and performance is the Kahr PM9.
  16. Chuck B

Chuck B New Member

I don't disagree with your assessment, User. But "compromise" is the operative word...and I'll "give a little" to have a .45 that's thinner, shorter in height, lighter, and only 1/4 in. longer than my Makarov .380. And the G36 fits into my Makarov holsters!

Regards,

Chuck
  17. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

18. kilogulf59

kilogulf59 Former Guest

Hello Chuck,

You did not mention your normal mode of dress, which is a major factor.

Personally, I like a 2-inch .38 revolver and pocket carry for summer (with or without a holster). This is convenient and comfortable with so-called cargo type shorts. Mika, I am told, makes nice pocket holsters http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/

Another option, which I do use, is a bellyband type holster over a sleeveless undershirt, under a big untucked t-shirt or polo shirt.

A word of warning Chuck (I‘m sure you know this but I had to say it), I would not carry an automatic, especially a Glock type action, without a holster that covers the trigger area. Of course, I do own a G30 and it ain’t no pocket pistol, that’s for sure.
  19. Chuck B

Chuck B New Member

I appreciate the input!!

I understand what you're saying about "compromise", Vladimir...but (with all due respect) it's not easy to conceal a 12 ga. or a .308 rifle (or insert favorite battle rifle). And my favorite handgun, a stainless Super Blackhawk .44 mag with 7 1/2 barrel, isn't easy to conceal either. So I settle for a compact .45 for conceal carry. And I will back User all the way on his choice of the Kahr PM9...or Delta's wife's choice of a NAA .22 mag. For me, "compromise" is failing to take responsibility for the safety of my family.

Thanks for the warning, Kilogulf59...this is the first Glock I have owned (picked it up today). I appreciate any info on the Glocks you guys might have.

I usually wear denim shorts w/t-shirt and over-sized short-sleeve pocket dress shirt (untucked) or large Polo. My carry habits to this point have been: (1) in and out of my truck I use IWB strong side; (2) mostly walking I use SOB; (3) hiking and such I use an external Ace Case gun packer.

The G36 is very comfortable IWB strong side while in my truck etc. It is also more accurate than I expected...I shot enough through it today to know that I can't blame the gun! I thought the recoil was very manageable and shot good groups both two handed and "gunfighter" (or one handed).

My next purchase will be a true pocket pistol...possibly a S&W revolver.

Thanks again,

Chuck B
  20. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

The line, In a world of compromise, some don't, is Heckler and Koch's motto/slogan :D.