Summer sausage or pepperoni recipe

Discussion in 'Ruffit's Domestic & Wild Game Cooking/ Recipe Foru' started by flannelman, Aug 6, 2008.

1. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Rural Arkansas. But isn't all of Arkansas rural?
    I did a search but didn't come up with anything on this so maybe someone can help. I want to make some deer summer sausage and pepperoni and I need a good recipe. I got my casings today from LEM and I need to get the grinder going!
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

I've never made pepperoni...Hopefully Catfish will have some ideas, he is a busy guy, but I bet it will be worth the wait if so...

For sausage links, I just buy a sausage rub from the local processor and spice it up real good with peppers that have been dehydrated and ground up, from the garden, then run it through the grinder/stuffer. Then off to the smoker.

Let us know how things are turning out, would ya?

Crpdeth
  3. flannelman

flannelman New Member

I found a pretty good recipie for the summer sausage and now have 15 pounds of deer curing in the fridge. I'll stuff and smoke it Monday then let ya know how it comes out. I like cooking with old methods. I got a book fo my birthday last December that has a lot of recipies and instructions for salt cure and brine. I have been making my own corned beef from that book and it is excellent!! I can't wait to build a smokehouse and try country hams!
  4. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Flannel

I agree with you 100% on cooking by the old school methods, while keeping in mind that they didn't have the knowledge concerning food poison that we now have.

I would LOVE to have a smokehouse! In fact I was leaning towards building one when I found my smoker...It is a very modest single axle, "homemade", offset design that I have broken in nicely in the last several years. :):):)

If you do move towards a smokehouse I would love to hear updates and possibly see pictures to follow your progress... I really need to learn the art of salt curing, as I fear there may come a day when we all need to know how it is done properly.

Crpdeth
  5. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Well the sausage is done!! I didn't get to smoke it because it was raining all day but it still came out pretty good from the oven. I used a modified recipie and I got just a little heavy on the salt but sliced thin and laid over a Ritz with some cheese and it's good stuff!! I can send you the title and author of the book I got. It has a lot of really good info on salt curing. Hopefully I can build a smokehouse in the spring, I just don't have time to do it this fall.
  6. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Add a jalapeno!

Heres a pic that most folks here are already sick of. :D

Crpdeth

Attached Files:

7. flannelman

flannelman New Member

Looks good ya just need a good beer to go with it!!