Suomi KP(M-31) SMG 9mm

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by sharpie443, Aug 23, 2012.

1. sharpie443

sharpie443 New Member

Got to shoot this firearm today for the first time. We have had it in the shop for quite a long time but i never got around to it. Finally i decided to do a video on it and it's history today since we were going to be out shooting video for the businesses anyway. So i grabbed it off the shelf and threw it in the truck. I had already fell in love with the history and rugged look of the gun but after shooting it today i think i have to have it. It had very little recoil and surprisingly the trigger pull was nice. I had some problems with the cheap bulk ammo I brought to use in it but it runs fine with +P 9mm. It has one heck of a hard spring in it but i wonder if it will take lighter loads after i put a few hundred rounds threw it. Probably not but I can hope and i hope you enjoy the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCR9iZ33_kk
  2. rogertc1

rogertc1 Member

I have had my Suomi Carbine a couple years. Never shot it. Got it for my collection. It is nice to be able to have a semi-auto version of a machine gun as i can't own a MG.
  3. sharpie443

sharpie443 New Member

You can own an MG. It costs quite a bit of money but you can own a transferable machine gun. If i ever get the money I would like to get a 1914 lewis gun.
  4. sharpie443

sharpie443 New Member

5. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

where ya live at?
  6. rogertc1

rogertc1 Member

I live in Iowa. I can not own a silencer, SBR, Destructive Devise nor a Machine gun. It is not allowed unless I had a Class 3 machine gun dealer of which there are 3 in the state. Then the shop would iown it not me.
    Why would I make this up. I have Lived in Iowa all my 60 years and know the laws. Sucks.
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  7. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

time to get that SOT paperwork going.. :)
  8. Munch

Munch Member

I love the history and the overall look of the Suomi. I see the cut receiver kits offered on centerfire for next to nothing, I just have my doubts about finding a gunsmith that is able to remake/reweld the receiver back to operational. Looks like a really fun and economical way to shoot piece of history, which is why I want an original.
  9. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

Suomi - for those of you who don't know is Finland. Suomi is Finland in Finnish. I know because I lived there for 23 years, my wife is Finnish and I speak Finnish fluently. :)

The Suomi M31 was designed in Lahti in the late 1920's. The Finnish Army (where my son is currently serving) used these carbines extensively during the winter war with Russia during 1939-1940. They also used Nagant rifles that they had bought from Russia in the early 30's. Getting an original M31 is a great collectors item. Replicas have neem made and are more readily available.

:)
  10. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

It is a stout looking carbine and very little recoil from the video. Nice.