Super Blackhawk Recon

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Powderhorn, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

I have an old Super Blackhawk that I have had for years. I didnt buy it new, but it was certainly NIB-condition when I bought it. It was made in '76. I've carried it for years on just about every hunting trip I ever took, and just about every foray into the Maine woods seeking trout. I shot a coyote with it two years ago that ran into my area while calling turkey. I shot at a deer last year with it, again, turkey hunting, when the two seasons overlapped. The bluing is worn on the cylinder and the barrel. Its seen a lot of use.

I should prpbably stop waxing poetic about this darn hogleg, but I just love it. Ive been thinking; should I send it in and have some rework done to it and have it reconditioned by a good gunsmith? What should I have done to it? What would be good mods to have done to it, mods that would be suitable for the carry and useage that I do with it? Would it be worth it, or should I just leave it alone?
  2. Sandman

Sandman New Member

If the performance is good, I wouldn't mess with it. If you use it a lot, then reconditioning won't last long. Besides, a little wear and tear just shows that it is a working gun instead of a showpeice.
  3. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

+1 for the sandman...............
  4. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i'd leave it alone. as stated if you use it, a new finish wont last long. i love ruger single actions. i have a single six that has seen better days but i just cant bring myself to do anything to it.
  5. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

I'm feeling the same way. I'm glad you guys checked in. Thanks.

I do love this gun. Its like an old friend.
  6. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

cherished guns are my favorite kinds of guns for people to show off. i'd much rather see a piece that has been carried miles in a holster and cared for well than a new pistol that only sees the range once or twice a year.