supposed german ss revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Larry2582, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Larry2582

Larry2582 New Member

Ok last post. I was given this gun at same time as my m1. story says this came off a german ss officer.( I have heard this about alot of guns over the years) Only a few things on the gun. No manufacturor or serial number.on the barrel it has a N* and same on the body. On the cylinder as u roll it u see a few more things one is a shape of a pineapple and it has the markings ELG inside of it. also has a 2Q and a N*. Im not even sure what it is besides the fact that it shoots 38 shells lol. any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

A cheap Belgian made revolver, not German, dating to 1893-1914 period if the "pineapple" reference means there's a crown on top of the ELG in oval Liege proofmark.
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  3. Larry2582

Larry2582 New Member

thats what i figured. Not very heavy good looking just not much to it.... thanks for the help
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Wow, look at that gold and silver gun! Must have belonged to Adolf Hitler himself!

Seriously, it is not impossible that some SS man actually owned that gun. Just as it is not impossible than it belonged to anyone who was alive after the gun was made.

But the chrome and gold plating are not original and were very likely done in the U.S. What we have is a not very valuable gun and a lot of imagination on the part of someone.

Jim
  5. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

It lookls very much like one of the Nagant series, perhaps a 73 or 78
  6. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

7. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

I don't know what caliber it is, but it sure as heck isn't .38. If you manage to fire some kind of .38 cartridge in it, your friends will probably call you "Lefty."
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  8. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  9. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

RJay, I would suggest that this is not a Nagant style revolver, but a copy of the Webley "Royal Irish Constabulary" type revolver. It was also very popular with Belgian gunmakers.

Because both of these were double-action gate-loaded revolvers with ejector rods that stowed away in the cylinder axis pins, they have some similarities, but to my eyes, this is more RIC-styled. Just my two cents, of course.
  10. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

The Belgians made a gazillion of these and imported many to USA as 44-40 "Frontier" revolvers such as this one in the 1911 Sears catalog "for a person who does not do very much shooting"... They were also popular in Mexico and South America. Quality was well below that of the Webleys and Nagants.

Attached Files:

11. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

Wow. I had no idea Sears ever distributed that kind of thing. And in 44-40, no less. Also surprising to see it as late as 1911. Thanks, hrf!
  12. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Not really worth arguing about. All of those guns were much of a muchness, although the Webleys were arguably the best of the lot. They were all about the same, a solid frame with a swingover type ejector in the base pin. Nagant had several patents, including the idea of an ejector hung from a ring around the barrel as shown in hrf's link, but since the general appearance of most Nagant models was the same as guns made by others, it is hard to tell if a gun was made by Nagant or not unless markings are present.

The oval shape of the flutes would indicate Belgian manufacture, not English.

In any case the idea that such a gun was carried by an SS officer in WWII sends the needle of my BS meter off the scale.

Jim
  13. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

And Webley's earliest RIC model used an ejector attached to a collar around the barrel, so Nagant may have just "borrowed" the idea. :cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Webley_1868_RIC.JPG
  14. Larry2582

Larry2582 New Member

I hate that i set ur bs meter off. i did think that i put i have heard this about a lot of old guns... Thanks for the help. Wait and i thought the pose said supposed. But frankly noone knows where it came from still its a good looking gun with a age. and with age comes history. wasnt trying to sell just seeing
    what needs to go in the lock boxes and what can be topic pieces
  15. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Sorry if our rambling irritated you Larry; we're just old farts who like to talk old guns!

The proofmark confirms made in Belgium 1893-1914 period but more specific ID isn't possible.