Suppressed Sniper Rifles

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

swoosh19
    (1/23/03 7:41:22 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Suppressed sniper rifles
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Info regarding accuracy of subsonic rds.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/23/03 7:58:07 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Suppressed sniper rifles
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Accuracy is not short of any other quality round, provided the rifle is set up-(ONLY) for suppressed firing. Most choose to fire super-sonic rounds rounds through a pattern suppressor, allowing only the sonic crack to be heard.....this creates a omni directional sound, which cannot be pin-pointed....as in source.

Now, sub-sonic rounds produce very little sound and have no sonic crack........but again, the rifle "MUST" be set up for this type of round.....AND only for this round; as bullet drop compensation is a serious factor, but accuracy is not effected.

LTS

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/24/03 8:15:54 am)
    Hi Swoosh19.....welcome to TFF.

swoosh19
    (1/24/03 12:43:02 pm)
    Thanks Liktoshoot. My only problem with this .308 is that the first shot is extremely different from the rest. From what I could find out so far I am told the suppressor holds spent and unspent gases to function. With the first shot there are no gases to contain therefore causing an inaccuracy where in my case is approx. 6" low and 6" right of centre. After the first shot then the rifle is within 2moa at 100yds. I am trying to determine if a different rd. of something can be done to make the first shot similar to the rest?

swoosh19
    (1/24/03 12:45:53 pm)
    Hi xracer. I am in a career similar to your past one. I also raced motorcycles for a while but got too expensive. I am attempting to try and operate the c/n but not having alot of luck.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/24/03 9:52:31 pm)
    I would need to know the type of suppressor and the "exact" set-up, fixed or take off. Maker/length/wiper-style or wiperless.

LTS

swoosh19
    (1/25/03 9:40:24 am)
    It is a Winchester .308 action with a heavy barrel cut down to approx. 12". It has a removable AWC Suppressor (ThunderTrapp). Ammo is Lapua Subsonic 200grn. I was advised earlier this week the suppressor will most likely be changed to attempt to remedy the inconsistent first to second shot.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/25/03 12:29:34 pm)
    You have many problems to start with......one being a 12" barrel-along with a 200gr projectile. Who sold you this set-up, because I want to stay away from them.

LTS

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/25/03 1:38:36 pm)
    For some reason, the .300 JDJ Whisper came to mind, Mike - suppose that's what this setup is?
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

swoosh19
    (1/25/03 4:06:52 pm)
    Hi Guys. I'm not at liberty to discuss who made such a weapon, although I believe they missed the mark. Are you aware of any commercially made weapon that is .308cal, is suppressed, and is accurate up to 200yds. As well it would have to utilize subsonic ammo.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/25/03 7:17:02 pm)
    Kdub, you may be right....but that set up is strickly urban and for under 150 meters....not what I would spend that kind of money on.

LTS

JackRyann
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/25/03 8:13:16 pm)
    swsh,
    Best bet is to choose a round close to subsonic like a 30 carbine. Same 308 projectile and "vent" the barrel, similar to the anti-kick porting, to keep the velocity sub sonic. Then the suppressor covers all the vent holes plus the baffles and is given a rigid platform to attach to. This prevents contact with the baffles during repeated firing.

This is quite general but the info is readily available along with design plans if you just use any search engine and the key words like "suppressor" "silencers" "firearms".
    --44 mag, when you're ready to get serious--

swoosh19
    (1/26/03 10:57:31 am)
    Just out of curiousity. Does anyone know of any companies that manufacture such a weapon and claim good accuracy up to approx. 200yds.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/26/03 11:33:30 am)
    The list of suppressed rifle makers is long and yes- 200 meters PLUS! They also make suppressors for super-sonic bullets. Try the "GOOGLE SEARCH" at the bottom of the page.

LTS