1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Suppressor for .308 ?

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by 45Smashemflat, Oct 12, 2004.

1. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

I have a Blaser LRS tht has a handy bolt on/ bolt off muzzle brake. The rifle is chambered in .308 and is a sho'nuff tack driver. Playing with the muzzle brake got me to thinking.

How might I find a legal manufacturer of suppressors who makes a unit for this rifle which leverages the unique muzzle configuration? - i.e. no need to thread the muzzle.

What are the accuracy implications of a suppressor? POI shift I can handle, opening up the groups a bunch would be bad.

I have experience with suppressed handguns, but not with a bigger rifle cartridge, how is suppressor life?
  2. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Describe, bolt on-bolt off.. a little more. Suppressor`s containment of gasses is just slightly different than a recoil device.

LTS
  3. 45Smashemflat

I'll try and take a picture of it this evening, but there is a groove around the front of the barrel, the brake slips over this and has a matching "collet" like ring. Then one bolt tightens it all up.
  4. 45Smashemflat

You can kind of see it in this BMP file....

Attached Files:

5. LIKTOSHOOT

Sorry, didn`t mean to neglect you.....simply forgot.
    If I understand you, the muzzle has a recess (collet if you will) that clamps down from the brake to the muzzle. First thing--though it might attach it to the barrel, in my opinon it will be worthless. Remember a suppressor is large and long, so any horizonal cant will be a disaster, to both the can(suppressor) and the barrel. A rifle should be deticated to suppressed fire, though it can be had both ways. POI will change drastically, form the suppressor and most of all recoil, as this is the most crucial point-recoil....or the lack there of. This is the hardest thing to overcome, unless the rifle is suppressed all the time. The best attachment for a rifle "not" deticated to suppressed fire is a two point contact (bigbore) suppressor. It should have two sets of threads, one at the end of the muzzle and one at some point further down the barrel for stability. Remember a .308 suppressor is going to be large....10 to 14"`s and the diameter at 1 1/2" or greater depending on the maker. This simply hung on the end of a barrel, will not work.

Best
    LTS
  6. 45Smashemflat

Thanks LTS - I got similar feedback from AWC - they make the Thundertrap suppressor for big centerfires. They have told me that they can make a unit for me, just send them the barrell. Still noodling - since one one of the big wins for the Blaser is easy barrell swaps, what I am now considering is a barrell that is dedicated to suppressed fire, and then leaving the other one alone. Mount it with a dedicated scope - the mounts travel with the barrell when you take them apart - and now you can swap back and forth with 2 hex screws. Careful torquing should lead to fairly repeatable zero's.
  7. LIKTOSHOOT

Now, that sounds like a plan!! Dang my spellin sucks---gheesh!!!

LTS
  8. 45Smashemflat

I belive Mark Twain is creditted with saying that it takes a person with very little imagination to spell a word only one way. An adage that I live by every day!!!
  9. stash247

stash247 New Member

AWC is a very good source; their stuff works. The can for a .308, is big, but it also works. Best I can offer, is, if you want a surpressed .308, it's a dedicated rifle; put it together, sight it in, and leave it alone. Dismount the surpressor, only when neccessary, and don't move the scope!
    Hope this helps....Terry
  10. Coda2001

Coda2001 New Member

Hi
    Can you please tell me if this Blaser is the old UIT-CISM model ?
    I'd like to talk to you if it is.
    Thanks,
    Mike
    mb-coda@comcast.net
  11. Oldeyes

Oldeyes Member

A Marine acquaintance of mine in his retirement manufactured suppressor friendly, guaranteed 300 meter accuracy, AR-15 5.56 mm uppers for a number of US Government 3 letter agencies. He was using 1 in 7 twist, heavy profile, quick twist on/off suppressor style barrels and found that his uppers were invariably more accurate at the proofing distance with the suppressor on the barrel. Thus, your idea of getting a barrel assembly dedicated to a dual attachment point .308 suppressor makes great sense to me. I would also suggest that due to the fairly significant end of the barrel heavy beam moment type of mass of the .308 suppressor that you get the absolute heaviest barrel possible in order to mitigate the tendency toward increased barrel harmonic movement.