Suppressor to 22 magnum

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by rober2403, Aug 13, 2007.

1. rober2403

rober2403 New Member

Well, I am new in this forum. I am a Spanish hunter and I wanted to know if it is possible to acquire a silencer for one 22 wmr.

If it could be I want that the adaptador of the silencer to the barrel was not leaving mark and was of removing and to put without coil.

There is some shop that bandages it in internet? I found a Sai and Sak silencers, but I not if they are the best and if they serve for my 22 wmr.

I need it to do practice of shot in my private estate and not to bother the neighbors

Sorry for my english. It´s very bad.

A greeting to all and thank you
  2. rober2403

rober2403 New Member

Please, I need your help. I´m confused in this topic.

a greeting
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

A 22 magnum will work thru a 22lr suppressor. I don't know why you would wnat to do it though. A 22 magnum is so fast that it will be dang near impossible to suppress it. I don't know what the suppressor laws are like where you are at so I wouldn't know how to go about looking for one. You said your a spanish hunter, From Spain ?
  4. rober2403

rober2403 New Member

The first, thanks for you answer

Yes, I live in Spain. Here they do not allow silencers, but I want it to practise shot without bothering the neighbors.

I saw in some webs an adapters to silencers that don´t need thread the barrel. They are connected by pressure for this way to say it. I had to found this webs again to show you.

I know the effect of the silencers in magnum caliber. I know that only silenced the explosion of the powder due to the bullet is more faster than the speed sound. But I could to serve me equally, since it produces less noise anyhow. Or not?

Another thing.. There are some shop that sell silencers?
  5. barnetmill

barnetmill New Member

rober2403: You state: "Yes, I live in Spain. Here they do not allow silencers".

I believe that silencers are available in other European countries like Switzerland and Finland. When you say that Spain does not allow silencers that does not state what the penalties are for importing one illegally. In the United States it carries a heavy sentence in prison. It may only be a small fine somewhere else and in some parts of Southern Europe you may be able to reach an arrangement with the local authorities.
    There are also solutions that should be legal in Spain. For example you can obtain a .22 long rifle rimfire gun in which you could shoot cb caps or other low noise loads.
  6. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

A suppressor works 2 different ways
    1) It slows and standard velocity bullet down to subsonic and gets rid of the sonic boom. It will not work with a higher velocity round like a magnum.
    2) Instead of all the gases escaping at once. It slows them down and lets the gases out slowly getting rid of the BOOM.
    If the suppressor isn't on their perfectly you will get what is called a baffle strike. And that is really really bad. So I wouldn't trust an adapter from some fly by night company. And if you have the barrel threaded make sure that you have it done by a reputible company that you can trust to thread it exactly right. What model is the gun you are trying to suppress
  7. bluesea112

bluesea112 Active Member

I would like to respectfully correct an error you made in your last statement Southernshooter. A supressor actually speeds up the bullet slightly. If you are shooting a bullet that typically travels right at the speed of sound through an unsupressed barrel, a supressor will increase the speed and cause it to break the sound barrier. Something else a supressor will do for you is tighten up your shot group slightly, which is a nice bonus.