Suppressors in WA State

Discussion in 'NFA Firearms & Related Items' started by farmallsh, Jul 11, 2010.

1. farmallsh

farmallsh New Member

Hey all you WA State NFA folks! Looks like there is a bill coming down the pike that will allow legal ownership in your State, Bill 1604.
    Get invloved and join the rest of us in the "Free States" in suppressor ownership. Remember.....Silencing is NOT a crime!!

Found this on Youtube. This guy seams to be leading the push, enjoy:)

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbaOZLTex5I

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGBjywtiCQc
  2. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Suppressors are not illegal to own here if you want to jump through the hoops. They are however, illegal to use.:mad::rolleyes:
    Sure, you can own one, but the minute you attach it to the barrel, you've committed a crime.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be researching this one.:D
  3. Shopnut

Shopnut Former Guest

Actually RCW 9.41.250 says in part;

It says nothing about attaching a silencer to a gun. Do you know of some other WA law or case where a person was arrested and charged with use for merely attaching it? Thanks.
  4. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

My bad. You can attach it, but you can't pull the trigger.:rolleyes:

Yeah it looks really cool, but I can't use it....
  5. farmallsh

farmallsh New Member

Yeah, I saw that "own but can use" stuff. Looks like this bill will allow attachment and use. Wierd:rolleyes:
  6. Shopnut

Shopnut Former Guest

From what I have been reading, some guys just bring their silencers out into the woods (sometimes with their cop buddies) to shoot suppressed. Other take the easy way out and bring them with when traveling out of state. Sucks either way though.

At least one guy got caught (allegedly) using his at a WA rifle range. Someone snitched and the cops came. Too bad the shooters admited to having silencers which led to them being confiscated. One guy got his back, I hear the other guy may face charges.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/nfa-weapons/23533-read-silencer-rights-imposed.html

Mr. Bragge is asking for help sending out the DVD to the +100 legislators in Olympia. His e-mail is ranb40@yahoo.com
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  7. Shopnut

Shopnut Former Guest

I'm helping write to various sheriffs in Washington State to get data on silencer crime. If anyone wants to help out, there is a sample letter and a list of county and city law enforcement you can contact here; http://www.northwestfirearms.com/forum/nfa-weapons/35816-letters-sheriffs-about-silencer-crime.html

I think that getting real data from the police on the lack silencer crime is a good way to convince Olympia to give a silencer use bill a chance in the House and Senate instead of letting it die in committee.

It seems there are only a few people working on this effort. I read a claim that only one person contacted the House Judiciary chairman about the bill before it died in committee for a third time. This is unsatisfactory. I was one of those who was not helping out until it was too late this year, but I am doing my part to help it get passed next session.