Surefire Flashlights

Discussion in 'Feedback Forum' started by gdmoody, Sep 19, 2011.

1. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have an old D2 Surefire flashlight which I have had for several years. I keep it on the night stand next to the bed. A couple of weeks ago my 2 year old grandson got hold of it and chewed off the rubber piece (on the end cap) that covers the switch. The batteries were dead so I opened the flashlight to change them. I don't know what made me do it, but I pulled on the little spring inside the end cap and it pulled out. I put it back in and put new batteries in but the light would not work. I put it in a drawer so I would have spare parts for another one I keep in the car.

I got this wild hair and decided to send an email to Surefire last week. I was just curious to see if I could send it to them for repair. I told them in the email exactly what happened to the flashlight. I put my name and address in the email just out of habit.

I got a brand new end cap in the mail today. No cost, no shipping fees, no nothing and this is from an email that I sent! I have to say that they have some great customer service.
  2. Daffyd

Daffyd Member

Surefire Flashlights are great! I have a G2, an E2, and a M3 Combat Light. First rate customer service. I picked up my M3 at a gun show, and the bulb worked for about 5 minutes of use. I called Surefire, explained the situation, and received a replacement within a week! Sent me some Surefire batteries to sweeten the pot! I just wish 123 Batteries weren't so darn expensive.
  3. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Daffyd...Check around for batteries.....I usually go in with some friends and by in bulk....far cheaper at about $1.00 a battery and the shelf life is a very long time...Check BoTac..
    And 1+ on the Surefire flashlights, I have a couple myself.
  4. Daffyd

Daffyd Member

Thanks, Duke! There are some good deals there! I buy a lot of Tac-Com CR123A at the local gun shows. I can usually pick up a 12 pack for $20. It's an OK battery. Long storage life, but if you use for any extended period, they fade quick.
    I recently picked up a Sig Sauer STL-300J Tac Light for my AR-15. Loved it until I mounted it on the rifle. The grip has 4 CR123 batteries and it's big. It's extremely bright, with a red light laser, and the light can strobe. I still love it, I just couldn't get used to the larger grip surface. Works well for a night stand light with my pistol though!
  5. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

GEE Wideners should take a lesson from surefire. I just got a Walther 170 lumen pro tactical light from www.midwayusa.com for 29.00 with batteries and 1 dozen CR123A batteries for 14.00. Seems like a real nice light and a nice price for the batteries.
  6. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I usually buy my CR123 batteries on eBay, I do buy the Chinese junk sometimes but usually go for the Duracell ones for about two bucks apiece if you by 15 or 20 of them.
  7. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

My two year old chewed off the end cap.
    I had forgotten what children can get into.
  8. coachwill

coachwill Forum Sponsor

If you are looking for 123 batteries check out the Surefire batteries from your local Grainger...I bought 6 for about $7 for a Surefire Weaponlight that I got on a trade and sold to a buddy. I gave him all the batteries for it as well since he was getting ready to deploy and I gave him a great deal on the light.
  9. hunterfisher

hunterfisher New Member

I've been wanting a, Surefire, flashlight for some time now. Just don't know which one to buy. I mainly need it for getting around the woods and finding a deer thats shot at dusk. Any suggestions?
  10. dons2346

dons2346 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

There are some plastic models(meaning not metal) that would work for you. I say plastic just because of the weight issues. I suggest you spend some time on the Surefire website and see what they have.

Don't get hung up on Surefire as there others out there with the same good warranty. I have Fenix and Surefires and like them equally.
  11. The Duke

The Duke New Member

Unless you use a flashlight professionally, Don is right...There are many good brands of LED lights that arent as 'professionally' priced as the Surefire and work just as well or better...

[​IMG]

The top is a Streamlight weapons mounted light I use on my XD45...It is a LED and very bright with adjustable focus...Cost was about $90 when I bought it a number of years past...

Next is my pride and joy...Surefire Lumamax L5...Very bright and extreamly well made...but high dollar at Around $200...Got this one as a gift...:D

The green one is a rubberized finish Surefire G2 with a red filter I used for finding my way to the deer stand before daylight...Think it was about $70..Its incadescent and I hope to change it over to LED one day if it can be done..

And the bottom is a very cool, all alloy, inexpensive compact LED marketed by Smith and Wesson...It is a dandy little light for general use...About $35...I prob use this little light more than any...

But by far, the baddest of the bad is my Streamlight Tactical...Shown mounted on the business end of my Mossy 935....This thing is as close to a Darth Vader light saber as you can get..Extremely intense beam and no problem identifying anything out to 500+ yards...Kinda odd bell shaped end, but if you want intensity at about $90 this is the way to go...

[​IMG]
  12. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

I have one Surefire, it was a gift. I would have never spent that much for a flash light on my own. I am too cheap. I have had it several years now and it goes to work with me even on day shifts. I have a couple knockoffs also. They work and for the 20 dollar bill they cost i won't complain. They are not a Surefire though, and don't come close. If I have to I would buy one to replace this one.
  13. steve alan

steve alan New Member

Just got g2 about a week ago,love it.awesome flashlight.
  14. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

Mine is a G2x Pro. My wife got it for Christmas a few years ago at Bass Pro Shop for like $65 right after they came out, but now they are like $95...

It has two levels, which makes it handy. 90 lumens for most everyday uses, 200 when you need it, you could spot deer with it...

I bought a universal knock off clamp mount that will mount to anything from my AR to my '97 WInchester, but the light is so darn handy I now carry it with me every day.

My only suggestion is to unscrew the handle a little so you can accidentally turn it on in your pocket...it gets HOT quickly when you do:eek:

Some day I will need to buy another for a weapon light.