1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

surface rust

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by poundmonkey, May 19, 2012.

1. poundmonkey

poundmonkey New Member

I recently purvhased a savage thompson model 311a. Thanks to your wonderful forum I was able to determine it's history, and even narrow down the age by the markings. The condition of the gun is wonderful, but there is some small dots of rust here and there. I have been oiling it, but have had no luck removing the spots. Anyone have any advise? I really am glad I found this site, and look forward to learning more about my guns. Thank you
  2. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

I've used some stuff called Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner. It will remove rust without harming the gun finish. Comes in a tube. I also use it to clean bores
  3. poundmonkey

poundmonkey New Member

Awesome, thank you so much. Heading to the gun store now to find some. I have also heard 0000 steel woll works too. Have a great day!
  4. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

Use Bronze wool, it won't remove the bluing like steel wool will, but will take the rust off. Let the rust soak overnight with Kroil, or ATF.
  5. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

Bluing on a steel gun is actually black iron (ferric) oxide. The gun appears some shade of blue in natural daylight because the oxide coating is very thin and the steel beneath is like a mirror. The thicker the coating the darker the finish. Ferric oxide is also called black rust. It is a very hard material; harder than soft steel or soft stainless steel.

Red-brown rust, that tends to grow on un-oiled blue steel surfaces, is Ferrous Oxide, which is a soft crumbly material that that can be removed (actually sheared off at surface level of the steel) with a soft Non-Magnetic stainless steel scouring pad sprayed with a material like WD-40, Kroil, PB Blaster, or any other light oil.

If one does not go crazy and rub too hard the above method removes most surface rust and does not damage the bluing.

Hope this is useful.