Surge In Survival Gear. Folks Are Getting Spooked.

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by raven818, Nov 26, 2011.

1. raven818

raven818 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

WEBSTER GROVES, MO (KMOX) - A chain of three stores that sells survival food and gear reports a jump in sales to people who are getting prepared for the “possible collapse” of society.

People are getting ready for what they believe to be the inevitable "collapse of society". Seems some of us here are far from being alone.

http://tinyurl.com/7chkycr
  2. HunterAlpha1

HunterAlpha1 Former Guest

i wish i had the money to really prep. i have a few hundred rounds of ammo and a little bit of food set by but nothing that's going to last very long.

the good news is, i may have a job soon; i'll know for sure on the 4th.

the bad news is, if i get the job, my first month or so's pay will be for hospital bills. then i'll need to save up for a car, then an apartment, and then save up some money for the bank so i can go courting a girl, so i don't see how i'm going to be doing any serious prepping anytime soon :(
  3. Rhuga

Rhuga Member

Get some extra ammo. a few grenades and a machine gun with lots of bullets.
  4. HunterAlpha1

5. cow0man

cow0man New Member

This is all the 2012 people . They are in their last year of collecting their 5 years of supplies.
  6. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

People need to take a more sensible approach. Buy canned goods, paper products, necessities when on sale; store in basement. We have an entire room in basement, could live off that food for several years and the real reason we stocked up was our location way out in rural Alaska. One has to haul truckloads in when our road is open for a few months, but I'm sure glad it's there and most canned goods I have stored have expiration dates 2014-2015.

Everybody needs to develop their own skills to live off what they can grow & harvest where they call home. Buying expensive survival kits sure doesn't make sense to me in my environment.

My biggest fear is lack of fuel in bad times. We heat with wood and have a Pioneer Maid cook stove and I can get the oven up to 400 degrees, but the atvs, snowmachines, and vehicles won't run on wood. We have a 1000 gal fuel oil tank buried in the ground and she is full. I'd sure like to put in a 1000 gal gas tank, if I could ever afford to fill her up, ha.

I've had enough guns & ammo for my grandkid since the late 80's, but honestly think other items are of more importance.
  7. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

I've been preparing now for the last 6 years, little by little. Not due to the 2012 mayan bullcrap either, or the stars, or the gurus, or whatever.

I've just been watching as our government completely DESTROYS this country from within, and I see how it's been done in the past in other countries. Go read up on Argentina. That's where we're headed, only worse.
  8. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Barter items will become necessary I fear.
  9. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

Barter and trade are taxable ya know.:rolleyes:
  10. raven818

We have a heavy stockpile of non perishables, all of our families live out of state ( that's a good thing ). The pile began growing as an accident, we just decided to continue it. It has nothing to do with 2012 or Nostradamus. We looked at the possibility of needing a hoard back in September of 07. We don't discuss our " backup " with anybody, in particular neighbors.

We've looked at the possibility that eventually, folks are going to get desperate enough to do things they would have never considered doing in their lifetimes..Greece, Italy, Ireland, Iceland, France, all being joined by the citizens of the States taking whatever they can get their hands on, any way they can.

We've been through these scenarios before. But none, including the depression, got as much attention as the one we are going through now.
    And the Press scandal sheets, on-line socializing, etc. has created the mind set most of us are in now.

When folks are told daily they are in desperate times, and it IS going to get worse for them, well..
  11. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

When you say Barter Items, I think of booze & cigarettes. Now in our dry community, boot legging is a time honored tradition but I figure people knowing you had such things, would invite theft.

Wife and I both have our teaching degrees, we both have had summers off for last 15 years and always talk about getting a dredge to play around in local streams for a few weeks every summer. Trouble is most my gold hunting friends lose money at it year after year.

Best thoughts I think would be to prepare for your own and lay low; really keep a low profile so as not to invite the so called zombies. I have friends that live downriver and up small streams a dozen miles or so; now they are really safe but their problem is they get so bushy after a few years, almost insane. Got to be around people or you do get quite nutty. These people I know always meet visitors with a rifle in your face, then shake your hand when they recognize ya. Always seems a little Paranoid to me, probably why they live way back in like they do. I don't ever want to get like them, ha ha.
  12. HunterAlpha1

which is why you don't live back there alone. get yourself a wife and a few kids and three or four other good-sized families that you know and trust to live either in your compound or nearby, and you've got the perfect combination of security, seclusion, and socialization.
  13. HunterAlpha1

not if the "revynuer" has an "accident" ;)
  14. majortoo

majortoo New Member

Hmmm....some people complain about what is happening in Greece and Italy...Isn't a big part of the problem that many of the "citizens" think it is not cool to pay their taxes? Not that we need a major overhaul on our own tax structure here in the U.S....Concurrent with a hard look on entitlements...? But, as Mark Twain said over one hundred years ago, "We have the best politicians money can buy!"
  15. Petergunn

Petergunn Member

+1

get out of debt and get ahead on ammo and food, if nothing happens other then inflation I'll still be able to retire.
  16. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

HunterAlpha1, I'd say if ya had close relatives to work with great. Ya know, when we moved to Alaska, I figured we'd find all kinds of like minded people, especially out in the sticks. Been here almost 20 years, not true, the rural areas tend to draw people searching for things they never found in lower 48, but the these same people will never find what they are looking for anywhere. Many are quite eccentric to the point of being dysfunctional, no joke. Most came to our town with a pack sack on their back and have stayed. I have two neighbors I keep right with, have for years. The rest of the town I nod to on the road and don't want to know any of their business and same way back. Many of these small areas all kinds of fighting over crazy things, ha.

I've been married going on 27 years, but kids are grown and off at school most the year; they ain't ever coming back unless it all falls apart ha ha, then they will be back rather than living in an urban environment.

No joke, everybody should get as self sufficient as they can, spend as little as possible to make it, get use to it. First thing to hit and cull out the most vulnerable will be the onset of financial problems. The least prepared will fall by the way side.
  17. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I have a little set aside, need more though
  18. raven818

I too have a couple bucks set aside. I hope I still have it when all this crisis stuff hits the fan. That's my biggest worry, every day of the week.

Tomorrow, all the union folks go on strike in Britain. Germany and France want to change the Euro treaties to hold up europes economy, for another year. American airlines went under today. Eastern airlines went under 20 years ago, and never came back, for the same reason ( too many unreasonable demands ).

Sarzoky, Merkel and bho are getting together in an unprecedented meeting with others in their respective governments to decide who's going to pay how much toward holding up europes individual economies.

This is a test: Where do you think 80% ( maybe more ) of the money will come from to " save " the folks on the other side of the moat?
  19. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

I agree with all, a pretty scarey possibility! We too are prepared to a degree, probably not adequate. My biggest concern is being in a City and have "havenots" try taking from the "haves" if you know what I mean. I doubt if we can defend against that no matter how prepared we are.
  20. raven818

You're probably right. But, I'm gonna make a hell of a mess in my front yard if that happens.