1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Surplus 8x56R Pressure

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Mannlicher
    (12/10/02 4:00:41 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Surplus 8x56R Pressure
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    8x56R Nazi milsurp ammo is some HOT stuff. Accuracy is great, but I start to sweat a little when I have to pound the bolt open to extract a spent shell. The primers being smashed flush with the rim increases the pucker factor too. Any thoughts on chamber/barrel throat life with these loads? Could pull the bullets and reload with modern powder I suppose. Anyone have any load suggestions for IMR 4320 or H414 (Favorites I keep a lot of)?

K75RT
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/10/02 6:38:19 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Surplus 8x56R Pressure
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mannlicher, needless to say you shouldn't have to hammer on the bolt to get it to open after firing a ctg; is the chamber absolutely free of any oil or grease? This can really raise issues in a straight pull. Have you checked the headspace on the rifle? Check out this link these guys can most likely help you out....
    pub109.ezboard.com/fparal...orumsfrm81
    If you believe it is reprehensible to possess the will and means to repel a criminal assault...how can you rightfully ask another to risk his life to protect yours?

Edited by: K75RT at: 12/10/02 6:39:42 pm

prezzzzz
    (12/10/02 9:54:17 pm)
    I know what you mean. I did some research on this ammo and found that not every tin of this ammo did this. It does it in my 91/30. And no other ammo has done it. I had my headspace checked and it's perfect.

Some of this ammo is just over pressured. Last time at the range, my hand was killing me beating open the bolt, and most of the time I would have to beat the bolt back to eject the shell.

I got a M44 on the way and if it does it with this one, I'm not going to shoot this ammo any more. Figures I would have about 200 more rounds!!!

prezzzzz
    (12/10/02 10:01:05 pm)
    Just realized this is no the same ammo. I have some 7.62x54R ammo that does the same thing.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/11/02 6:46:27 am)
    Was the 8x56R on the five round rifle clips, or was it boxed/loose packed? If it wasn't on the rifle clips, I have a feeling you may have some higher pressure machine gun ammo.

That may also be the case for you 7.62x54R Prezzzzz.

prezzzzz
    (12/11/02 8:11:27 am)
    You nailed it in my case. Mine ammo is in the usual military tins, but wrapped in what looks like brown paper and tied with string, 20 rounds in a bundle.

Bob In St Louis
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/11/02 8:27:51 am)
    The 7.62x54R is normally not in clips, but bundle tied like you describe. However, the tin may have a different coding than the normal rifle ammo.

How good is your comprehension of Cyrillic?

sig230
    (12/11/02 9:00:24 am)
    I'm not a Russian expert.
    But I did stay...

Go Get Beer
    (12/11/02 9:07:55 am)
    Mine's OK. I had Russian at school for a few years. A pic or scanned transription of the coding and I probably can transcribe it into Roman or perhaps even tell what it is.
    Didn't the Russians use color-coding then? Isn't your ammo color-coded?

prezzzzz
    (12/11/02 9:16:08 am)
    Not to good. But I'll stay at Holiday Inn Express tonight and see if that helps....

Mannlicher
    (12/11/02 9:40:02 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del High Pressure 8x56R
    Headspace checks out and my chamber is bone dry and clean as a whistle. With the consistent accuracy and FLAT primers I think they're just smokin' hot loads. I've pretty much resigned myself to pulling bullets and replacing primers a powder. I'm going to throw a few of them on the lathe and turn various hollow points into them in process. They might just shed the jackets on impact but I'm curious to see if there is usable expansion to be had. Anyone tried this? I'll give it a shot and report what happens. Still looking for load suggestions...

Mannlicher
    (12/11/02 9:42:41 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del High Pressure 8x56R
    Headspace checks out and my chamber is bone dry and clean as a whistle. With the consistent accuracy and FLAT primers I think they're just smokin' hot loads. I've pretty much resigned myself to pulling bullets and replacing primers a powder. I'm going to throw a few of them on the lathe and turn various hollow points into them in process. They might just shed the jackets on impact but I'm curious to see if there is usable expansion to be had. Anyone tried this? I'll give it a shot and report what happens. Still looking for load suggestions...

Mannlicher
    (12/11/02 9:45:03 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Sorry
    Sorry about the echo....don't know where the little red faced guy in the first one came frome either...

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (12/11/02 10:04:05 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Sorry
    No problem, Mannlicher......and BTW, Welcome to TFF.

I agree with Bob. Sounds to me like you've got some MG rounds.

Steyr M
    (12/11/02 10:04:28 am)
    I've personally never had extraction problems, but there could well be lots that are '+P' , so to speak.
    I think you'll find some load suggestions on both Parallax's forum, and Gunboards forums.
    They both have straight-pull categories.
    "There are moments when everything goes well; don't be frightened, it won't last." --Jules Renard

Mannlicher
    (12/11/02 11:57:26 am)
    Thanks for the welcome XRacer!!! I don't think it's machine gun ammo because its the 1938 Nazi headstamp stuff in the ten round, two clip boxes. Sure shoots well in my M95 Carbine though...BTW, was the were any machine guns chambered for the 8x56R?

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/11/02 12:52:42 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del ...?...
    Being just a student myself (and having the day off)...I checked on the Machine Gun Cartridges. The german Machine gun that would use the 7.92x57 was the model FG42,MG08,mg13,mg15,mg34 and mg42. Then finally my book is saying because the German Military thought the 7.92x57 to powerful for their needs, a new cartridge was developed the 7.92x33 Kurtz cartridge.I'm still confused over the 8 x 56r you mention, if those cartridges truly measure 8x56 I'm thinkin' you probably should not be using them...The Russki's were using the 7.62x54r in their Machine Guns(and obviously rifles also)...Still going to continue looking for the cartridge you mention as i'm totally unfamilar(not unusual)...

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/11/02 1:34:47 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Continued...
    ...well slap the snot right outta me!...typed in Mannlicher and got a history lesson...

MANNLICHER
    Model 1895 Infantry Rifle
    Chambered for the 8x50r cartridge, large numbers converted in the 1930's to 8x56r. Converted rifles will have an "S" or "H" stamped over the chamber. Between the 2 world wars many model 95's were converted to 8x57 short rifles and fitted with 24" barrels. These rifles used the standard Mauser stripper clip instead of the Mannlicher system. Receivers were marked m95m and m95/24.

FEGYVERGYAR
    Model 35
    8x56
    Model 43
    7.92x57
    Model 48
    7.62x54

Steyr
    Model 95 Rifle (Model 31)
    A number of Model 95 rifles were modified to accept the 8x56 cartridge. The letter "H" is stamped on the barrel or the receiver.
    Model 1903
    6.5x54
    Model 1904
    8x57

Machine Gun
    Model 07/12 Schwarzlose
    Chambered for both the 8mm and 7.92x57 Cartridge.

Dam thats a lot of typing. anyway I learned something...

Mannlicher
    (12/11/02 5:35:36 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del That's quite the book...
    That's quite the book...

Smokin Guns
    V.I.P. Member
    (12/11/02 6:25:20 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del The Book...
    ...The Standard Catalog of Military Firearms
    ...The Collector's Price and Reference Guide (Premier Edition) by Ned Schwing...

neutercane
    (1/1/03 6:36:49 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del 8X56R loads
    You might try contacting a Mannlicher collector's club. I have a photocopied article entitled,"The Mannlicher Collector" from one of these clubs. They had load data for several different powders, and 4 different bullet weights. It was attached to a price sheet from Schroeder Bullets. I don't know if they're still in business, but Schroeder sold 150, 175, 200, and 220 grain .329" bullets used for the article and also had reloadable brass at reasonable prices. Hope this helps!!