surplus powder

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

1badassmagnum
    (12/26/02 6:48:56 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All surplus powder
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    anyone ever experimented with surplus powder?
    I've seen wc820 for $55 per 8 pound keg.supposedly h110 but 10% faster powder,and I would like to try some loads using extreme caution and a chronograph.I cannot reduce the load too much as extreme pressure will result.my recommended charge for 50 ae is 30-32.5 grains,and I was thinking of starting at 29 grains and chronographing a few rounds to check velocity.any suggestions besides...stick to h110..lol

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/27/02 10:14:38 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: surplus powder
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This reminds of the moth and the flame...be careful...is it worth it to try and save a few bucks.

Brand names for me, I would like to see some reloading manuals priscriptions.

GG

1badassmagnum
    (12/27/02 11:26:33 am)
    I shoot about 300+ rounds per week,the savings would cut my powder cost in half.I usually figure about 10 cents a round for powder($20 per pound,220 rounds per pound).
    this would afford me the luxury of shooting more also.instead of just punching paper,I could also be learning about the different characteristics of the different powders which i enjoy doing.I would not be using pulled powder just brand new correctly labeled stuff.since I'm shooting a desert eagle,most likely the case would give out before the pistol did,and I've heard of people loading way beyond 32.5 grains.I would never push my loads this far,right around 30 grains gives me excellent ballistics.nobody has given me any horror stories yet,so I'm leaning towards the purchase.thanks for your honest input,I appreciate it

AGunguy
    *TFF Staff*
    (12/28/02 3:29:33 pm)
    I certainly see the economics of your reloading situation.

A friend of mine down in Arizona buys some bulk kind of military powder at least I think it was GI issue, and he loads for hand guns like .38, .357, .45 acp etc. So, if you know what you are getting into and it works for you...then your one up on me using non brand names.

Gunguy

Edited by: AGunguy at: 12/29/02 3:43:16 pm

1badassmagnum
    (12/29/02 7:31:18 am)
    the gibrass website claims the powder is new and labeled.it says to use h110 loading data,but some members have warned me,and said its closer to aa#9.
    aa#9 starting loads are 23 grains,the h110 29 grains,this is where the chrono comes to play.I'll head the warnings and try a few at 23 grains and work up,unless others can give me more info on the powder.about 90% of people responding to my posts have had good results using this powder.thanks for your honest opinion,I'll let you guys know how it turns out.