Survival Gear

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by 308 at my gate, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Fire is definitely a key human friend. I camp out a lot every year, and even in the summer, surrounded by other campers, a fire feels good to have. It is a visible,tangible force that says this is my/our spot.Glad you made it out, Swan. Most "lost" I ever got was waking up in the wrong camp, in somebody else's tent. And I couldn't find my kilt...
    I'm told I had fun. Can't remember somehow.
  2. 308 at my gate

308 at my gate New Member

Hey guys I like the survival stories. If anyone else has any post them.
  3. plowhorse

plowhorse New Member

hey guys, most people are mentioning space blankets to use for warmth/shelter, but what if it is raining/snowing. I have recently started hammock camping. whole sleep shelter weighs around 2.5 lbs, andvery easily fits into my large mad dog fanny pack. this in addition to my lightweight alky stove fits easily into my pack and gives me that ability to comfortably stay out if forced to.
  4. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

that might work too. Never thought of the hammock, course I dont get lost very much either. The back kinda keeps me from wonderin too far.
  5. plowhorse

plowhorse New Member

sleep in the hammock, the back shouldn't bother you as much. I have never slept so well in the mountains.
  6. ski9393

ski9393 New Member

Common sense is a good one to take along with you anywere. I didn't see any on the trader forum, I could use a little more. I try to pack light seeing as how I only hunt our family farm wich is a little under 500 acres and the house isn't that bad of a walk from the farthest corner of the farm. Any way I own a camelbak mule with 2.5liter water bladder, I fill it. I carry 5 rounds of extra ammunition. I generally don't need it but I carry my milspec compass with me, a Ka-Bar, which fits perfectly next to the water bladder (in it's sheath), a bic, copenhagen snuff, small bottle of tylenol with a paper towel stuffed in it to keep the pills from rattling. Some sort of food, wheter it be a can of beans or trailmix or both, my leatherman, a waterproof container with strike anywere matches, my rifle of course, I also have this little survival kit in a can that was a stocking stuffer, it has a variety of usless stuff in it, but it may come in handy. Compared to alot of people I suppose I'm about unprepared. But my hunting turf is a little different. I can say that I agree with delta13soultaker about the cotton clothing, it does not insulate at all when wet. I learned that from whitewater kayaking. Synthetics are good insulators but you want a better shell, like goretex or something along those lines.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  7. swanshot

swanshot New Member

How about 9 years married to my first wife:eek::eek:;);):)
  8. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Yeah...I can't even get a signal in a store.
  9. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Well, I got lost in the desert one time, sort of. Among the first things you learn is that everything gets hot. Your first drink of hot water, to the first time you go to pick up something metal thats been in the sun. Another thing is much of it looks the same, which is how I came to get lost. I was in a jeep, and had a compass, and still managed it. Oh yes, and met a ghost at the same time. Go figure!
  10. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Hey Tranter, did the ghost look like a Danish king and say something like this?

"But know thou Noble youth, The Serpent that did sting thy Fathers life, Now weares his Crowne."
  11. kutaho

kutaho New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    Tragedy of a young danish prince?

O, am i drifting:D
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  12. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Well I will tell you, as I am driving, alone in a jeep, lots of sand and rock and a little scrub I hear three loud raps on the vehicle, bang, bang bang, like someone hitting the body with a spanner. This happened a few times, no one else around, then the compass started to misbehave. It kept reversing, one minute I was going south, then a few minuets later, north. I turned around a couple of times trying to figure out what was going on, and had quite the conversation with the ghost, who I figured had come from an abandoned Roman town I had just passed.. Of course, there were simple explanations for both weird occurrences.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2009