Survival knife.

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by ms6852, Jan 15, 2012.

1. ms6852

ms6852 New Member

Bought this knife about 30 years ago, and served me well through my entire career, in the military, 21 years. Some of its markings are faded out but am thinking it may be a Carl Schlieper knife could anyone confirm this for me.

[​IMG]
  2. Plinked

Plinked Member

Here's mine ( bought it around 1982 )
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  3. ms6852

ms6852 New Member

Nice knives, so it is a Carl Schleiper knife. I used mine in the jungles of Panama during my jungle training, it made my life a whole lot easier. Forgot how many animals I have skinned with it as well. Blade when sharpen was like a scalpel, and real easy to sharpen.
    Sadly enough I have not seen more around I sure would like to buy another 2 or 3. Thanks for the photos.
  4. Plinked

Plinked Member

MS
    When I bought mine I was a 20 something kid and thought bigger was better and then later thought maybe I had gone a little overboard on size so I'm glad to get some hands on feedback about its durability and usefullness.
    These knives ( and parts ) do pop up on E-bay now and then.
  5. ms6852

ms6852 New Member

You and I bought these knives about the same time as a matter of fact it was the first knife my wife bought me at a gunshow. At First I was a little skeptical because it was a hundred dollars at the time which was a lot of money for a private back then. For survival in the woods chopping stuff it held its ground. But since it is not a full tang I used a smaller stick to hit the spine of the blade and make smaller logs out of big ones. I would not recommend it as a throwing knife but it made a great spear. Even though I was able to skin about 5 deer with it I would not recommend it as it was to big and sharp and one could easily ruin the hide if you meant to keep it. It was great on breaking the pelvic girdle and the hind legs as for the saw tooth not really practical but was good for scoring stuff.

As you can see in the photo, my scabbard held a lot of nylon string tested at 150lbs. All in all I had about 80 feet of it wrapped on the scabbard, and on the handle of the knife I had the same string I used as a bowstring. Inside the handle I had some split shot weight about 30 ft. of 10lb fishing line and 2 hooks all wrapped around 8 anywhere strike matches. At the bottom of the sheat I had a 3 ft. leather strand same with as a shoe lace to strap around my thigh, but most importantly it is what I used to start a fire with using the bow technique. Most people do not realize that a boot lace will become frayed and break with time, the leather strand will not.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  6. Plinked

Plinked Member

Yep
    I paid about $115-$120
    Still have the original hooks/line/stone and sinkers for mine
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG]
  7. ms6852

ms6852 New Member

Yours is in pristine condition, It will make a great inheritance for one of your family members, they have no idea how lucky they will be. Nice photos. Thanks alot.