Survivers of KC-135 Tail Number 55-3133

Discussion in 'VMBB Find Your Nam Friends' started by frank1947, Aug 30, 2008.

1. frank1947

frank1947 New Member

Sept 28 1968, anyone out there been looking for 40 years, nothing yet , just another shot in the dark.
  2. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*

Marty Robbins old hometown, Glendale Arizona--a su
    Frank, is that the exact date of the accident/incident? I was on a NETOPS team in the mid 60's and this brings to mind the following:

Broken Arrow
    On January 17, 1966, an SAC B-52 had a mid-air collision with a KC-135 tanker while refueling over Palomares, Spain. The B-52 was carrying four thermonuclear B28 bombs. The bomber had begun the mission at Seymour Johnson AFB, North Carolina. The KC-135 had come from the Moron Air Base, Spain. All four KC-135 crew members were killed, while four of the seven B-52 crew parachuted to safety.
    President Lyndon Johnson, the Department of Defense, the Atomic Energy Commission, and the Spanish Government received news of the nuclear accident. Nuclear safety teams were dispatched immediately. Within hours, the 16th Air Force had located the three B28 bombs that landed on the shore. However, the fourth bomb was missing; it was not found for 80 days. High explosives in two bombs had detonated on impact. Plutonium dust had spread over several hundred acres. One reassuring fact emerged from this incident: inherent safety features designed and built by Atomic Energy Commission contractors ensured that no nuclear explosion occurred.

Our NETOPS team out of Port Hueneme, California was alerted for mount out and remained on standby alert for a week or so.....Chief
  3. frank1947

frank1947 New Member

rooter

yes the date I listed in the exact date, I do remember the accident you are speaking of.

Mine was on Wake Island coming home from Utapao and others coming home from other areas, but on the Vietnam wall internet site one of the guys who I had to identify it said we crashed in South Vietnam I can not say where we were I looked up others on the wall and they all said the same thing, there are conflicking stories as to where we were, but I do not care 11 young men died on their way home many I knew, and they were not identifiable I can tell you that.

It was a somewhat normal emergency landing #4 engine was shut down for 0 oil pressure I swapped gauges around restarted #4 still nothing so we started or decent, there is allot to this story from here on so to make it short we came in to low and the pilot put the gears back up to make a go around but with gears up and throttle to the wall we hit the deck ripped #1 engine off the wing belly in the aircraft buckled in half and it sat their and smoked JP 4 for what seemed to be a night mare.

I worked on that dam thing for a month I was the Jet engine man and I knew I was going home on it, I changed #1, #2, #3 engines on it in that month for minor things #4 was the best, and that one failed.

As I said there is more to the story I also testified to what I thought the condition of the Pilot was to many Generals.

This crash made National News that day, my Father and Mother saw the news, mom new I was in that, she had a feeling ( Mothers intuition) and we were able to call home via short wave radio, of coarse I will never forget that day, I have thought of those 11 guys everyday since 1968 that is a part of PTSD and that is normal in any traumatic event.

I told you in the other area I am writing about PTSD

Frank
  4. frank1947

frank1947 New Member

5. frank1947

frank1947 New Member

that is right Sept 24th I have a copy of the conversation from pilot to tower and a list of all aboard and their medical condition
  6. rooter

Frank, though I have my bad dreams and unpleasant memories, I'd never be the one to tell you, "I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL"......Forgive me, but those words, most times said kindly, just really get me boiling....My dear wife of 52 plus years, and being a former nurse, has told me that often---sometimes when I wake in the night, and she attempts to console me from the dreams and the devils, I remind her I do the best I can. Good luck GI, and again, thank you for your service to our wonderful country---it will always be worth it....Chief
  7. rooter

Accidents by AirlineMilitary - U.S. Air Force, 24 Sep 1968, Wake Island, Boeing KC-135A .... Military - U.S. Air Force

This was all I could find on Google.....
  8. frank1947

frank1947 New Member

some years ago you could do a search and find a picture of it at rest by the guy who did the report for ???? begins with a N I just can not think of their name they cover all aircraft crashes, but it is old news and gone from most memory, I do believe in your case you do KNOW WHAT I MEAN that is a connection all Vets have they all know of night dreams and how about the day dreams I have been very lucky I spent 32 years driving a truck over the road with a group of guys our age and been there done that we would tell it all for miles and miles it is called Venting and it is very Theraputic as you and I our doing now VENTING helps relieve the stress of it all. The more you bring it all out the better

And thank you for your service and welcome home and yes it is all worth it if we went back in time I know we would do it again, it sure is a pleasure I came in here and ran into you, good to know you Chief.

Frank
  9. frank1947

frank1947 New Member

soon as I get tome I will scan a picture that was a cop from USAF when I wrote for information many years ago we will see if it is any good are if you can tell what it looks like
  10. rooter

HAPPY LABOR DAY FRANK......Did you ever have anyassociation with the
    B-47....? It was either very late 54 or early 55 I was stationed on the island of Bermuda...our Seabee battalion was kinda like sub-contractors to WESTERN ELECTRIC building down island tracking facilities---I guess it was for the Cape space program that was to come later...One morning, very early because it was still almost dark, Bobby Hughes and I was loading tools and plumbing equipment for the days work--- right off over the city of Hamilton this military plane blew up in the air....We heard later it was a B-47 and the crew perished (3 men) in the event....Remembering back it seemed to be almost a 'non-event' type thing... The next B-47 I was to be made aware of was at Sidi Slimane, French Morocco and it was involved in a nuclear weapon contaminating event....Just digging up old memories...to most they don't mean 'squat' and I probably bore folks terribly telling them about those times....Chief
  11. frank1947

frank1947 New Member

NO, you are a bit older then me I was a Jet Engine Technician on B-52 D model and KC-135 both had J-57s on the wing just different models, I was in the 509th Bomb Wing, SAC.

No old stories do not bore me I do allot of that myself, I have seen the B-47 in air shows but that is it.

Hope you are having a good Labor Day I am trying to relax, but you know how that goes, got a load of mulch had to do the whole front of the house me and the boss yesterday.

Now I am working on a couple loads of brass I just sold, boy that keeps me busy, I go through about 500 pounds a wk, that is about 50,000 cases I have one guy who takes 75% of that the rest I sell on forums like this and at my club.

Talk to you later
  12. crewdawg357

crewdawg357 New Member

To Frank1947:

I just joined this site, so I'm sorry this is late getting out.

The date was definitely Sept. 24, 1968. I was stationed at Andersen, Guam with the 605th MASS (MAC) as an En-Route Maintenance Team Chief from March 68-Sept. 69. and remember the incident very dramatically.

One of the guys in my outfit - can't remember his name now because of the PTSD crap in my head - was going home to get married. I took him to the terminal in my maintenance truck for check-in, and remember one of the other team chiefs describing the problems at U-T, Clark and then Andersen with the Number 4 engine on 3133.

After the crash, a C-141 that was west bound landed at Wake and picked up, I think - things get a little blurry nowadays - thirteen of the injured (badly burned) and a Navy corpsman which were destined for the Naval Hospital on Guam. After the 141 landed, my crew parked that C-141 and helped off load the injured into ambulances and a hospital bus. As I recall, two of those thirteen died enroute to the hospital. Our guy was killed in the crash.

Having had two of my aircraft crash in Alaska, in 81 and 85, and seeing both of the B-52D's go down on take-off from Guam in May and September of 69 I can sypathize with your PTSD plight as that all plays 'Billy Hell' with my mind, too.

If I can help in any way, leave me a note here and I'll do my best.

Crewdawg357
  13. frank1947

frank1947 New Member

crewdawg,

Thanks for your reply, been awhile since i have been in here, life is good in August I will get my first Social Security Check along with my 32 year Teamster pension economy looks good to me right now.
  14. slopdog

slopdog New Member

I have been searching for anyone who survived the K-135 crash on wake Island in 1968
    call sign soney 73. I was a very small boy only 8 years old but my father was an air traffic controller and controlled this airplane. After asking the pilot what where his intentions my Dad picked up his camera and took photos of the plane as it crash landed he gave the to me years later and yes I still have them. If you would like I would be happy to send copy's, I actually got on the airplane once after they shoved it to the side of the runway. Needles to say I got in big trouble when I showed my father a majors pin I took off a badly melted cap. The men on this plane where hero's to all us kids on wake. My father is still alive and I would be happy to ask any question you may have. thank you for your service
    and God bless you. You are the best of the best

thank you
    Bob Canfield
    Last edited: May 12, 2010
  15. frank1947

frank1947 New Member

slopdog,

wow it is good to hear from you I would surely appreciate any pictures you might have I recently had a man contact me from this very forum who was the imbalmer of the dead who had a few pictures. contact me at fjmcm1947@gmail.com
  16. slopdog

slopdog New Member

as I said I have photos of the KC-135 crash e-mail me at bobcanfield@netscape.com
  17. Ed K

Ed K New Member

I was at Dyess A F B in Texas then 43250 mos
    I dont remember a crash I was on 130's having just left Dover A F B fixing C 133's I was a flight line mech never worked in a shop
    just saying hello
  18. Nephew/JohnL.Johnson

Nephew/JohnL.Johnson New Member

Hello everyone, my name is John. My Uncle Sgt. John Lafayette Johnson died in this crash. I never got to meet him. I am named after him and would love to know anything and everything you guys can share. Not knowing much about my Uncle John has has me searching for a long time. Anything would be helpful.
    Thanks, John Johnson
  19. buffcrewchief

buffcrewchief New Member

I remember John Quigley who was killed in this crash. John was on TDY to Utapao and was assigned to our B-52 team. I had just received my flying status and the last thing John did before leaving on that fateful day, was give me his flight suit. John was a good friend to the whole team. I wore John's flight suit when I flew my first and last combat mission. RIP John.
    Sgt Dennis Deveckx 4258th, Utapao 1968/69.
  20. Gordontel45

Gordontel45 New Member

Wasnt John Quigley from Pease AfB in New Hampshire. I think I knew him I was on that Plane I boarded in Guam and lost a good friend Al Porter. Anyone one filed for Disability PTSD from that Horrific Crash. Its 40 years later and I am working on it since I also did BienHoa Vietnam after that - Gordon T. gordon.tel@hotmail.com