SVT-40 question

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

priefca
    (8/18/01 11:15:12 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All SVT-40 question
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I need some help with my SVT-40. I just finally fired it yesterday for the first time. It was a fun gun to shoot except for one small detail, ahter firing the bolt would not move back and extract the shell casing. I had to do this by hand making it a very fancy looking bolt action rifle. Does anybody have an idea why this happened. I am assuming it is because the gas system needs adjusting. Am i correct in this assumption

Bob In St Louis
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (8/18/01 11:51:20 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: SVT-40 question
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    It sounds like either an adjustment to the gas to the recoil system, or you have old powder fouling in the system. It may require disassembly of the gas system and a thorough cleaning. Doesn't tkae much residue fouling to hamper the gas port.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

BeerboyfromTN
    (12/28/01 10:29:12 pm)
    There is an adjustable gas nut in the front of the rifle.

Moskovskyya
    (12/29/01 12:20:52 am)
    BobSl is correct in as far as the gas adjustment. There is a 5 sided nut with graduation marks. It takes a special wrench, but a pliers may be used, be careful not to scar the nut. There are numbers marked indicating larger holes to bypass more gas to provide more vigorus extraction. This was originally designed for variable power ammo and extremely cold temps. Open the gas adjustment up to larger numbers until the extraction is successful. Opening too much will cause excessive forces on the action, so don't go to far.

I have, and have had several svt-40 and 38's. On a few, the near the muzzle wear was so excessive, that at the max setting there still wasn't enough seal in the bore to provide reliable extraction. I have drilled the smallest port, to a larger size than the largest one providing enough gass for proper function.