1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

SW 9mm Sigma GVE...opinions?

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Tierra14, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Tierra14

Tierra14 New Member

Hello everyone. I'm thinking about purchasing a Smith n Wesson 9mm Sigma GVE. Any thoughts? I've heard so many different opinions on it, I thought maybe eveyone here could help. I've heard the Sigma series is a crappy series from Smith n Wesson. I've also heard its good. I'm getting too many conflicting answers. HELPPPP :)
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Well many times you find the opinions come from people that have never shot anything else. Its like someone saying Honda's suck but have never driven anything different than Chevy. Its a lot of hearsay. Same thing applies to people that praise the sigma. You'll find that they don't know any different or they actually had good luck. I know that there are some users here that have them and like them but its a real crap shoot if you get a good one or not. Some have a terrible 8lb trigger some have a 5 lb trigger. Some stove pipe everything and some run reliable all the time. My experience with them is short but frequent. I've shot a friends that was horrible. I shot 2 others that I've repaired. 1 was OK the other felt like junk. IMO save your money, and look for a used gun. For the price of a new Sigma you can pick up some decent used guns. For instance I bought a S&W model 59 (this gun was built in the US and one of the last S&W semi auto's to be built in the USA). It was the same price as the sigma but it is a reliable and viable contender for a decent gun. Never a problem, never. I find guns to be like dogs. You can get a puppy, pay more and really take a chance on its mannerisms or you can get a good old dog from the pound for less.
  3. al45lc

al45lc Active Member

I own one of the first Sigma .40 cal. produced, back in '94'.
    I have shot the hell out of it, it has never failed, it's grip is far better suited to my smaller hand than was my Glock 23, and I still carry and shoot it today. I even shot it under water when my friend poo-pooed it as a cheap copy of his Glock. It functioned just fine, right alongside his Glock. It's accurate, well made and highly fuctional, what else does one need in a self defense arm?
  4. EL TORO

EL TORO New Member

Wow...where did you get that INCORRECT INFORMATION?

The only S&W centerfire semi-auto not built completely in the US was the SW99, in which the polymer frame was built by Walther in Germany and the barrel and slide was by S&W, made in the US. All the rest of the semi-autos, from the Mod 39, 59, 469, 669, 3004, 3906, 6904, 6906, 645, 4506, 4006, and all variations of the preceeding models, the entire Sigma line from beginning to end, including current Sigma SW9VE & SW40VE have ALWAYS been made in the USA. In fact, S&W went through a huge plant expansion to be able to increase production of the M&P line of firearms, and of course, all revolvers have ALWAYS been made in the USA as well....

Their name is on the Walther line of handguns, but it's there as the IMPORTER, not as the maker. All Walthers are made in Germany, EXCEPT for the Walther PPK & PPK/s, which are made by S&W, under license, in Maine at the same plant that makes S&W 22 Autos...
  5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

100% usa made, no they are not. Some parts are made in Mexico. The 59 was the last line (this includes the 4 number prefix lines) that were made 100% usa. Can't remember were I saw this info and I didn't believe it either. But after a check there were a couple machining companies making parts for S&W. As for the expansion that you speak of, this was done to facilitate the new CNC systems for the new polymer frame and AR series.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  6. EL TORO

EL TORO New Member

Which Parts?? And, I said the expansion was for the M&P line which includes the AR series....
  7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

IF memory serves me right, springs, most stamped metal parts ie connectors, mags, trigger bars.
  8. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

Tierra,

I just purchased a S&W Sigma 9mm two months ago. So far I like it. I have only shot it twice since I bought it. I put a total of 325 rounds through it, Federal FMJ and PMC Bronze FMJ. Everything functioned fine with no problems.

The gun is double action only, rather than DA/SA like most pistols. The double action trigger pull is a little stiffer than most, but personnely I like it, because I'm use to shooting revolvers in double action mode. The gun does not have a safety, which is why they designed it as DA. In my opinion it is an ideal gun for home defense. At 3:00am in the morning when the boogie man breaks in there is no safety to foget to turn off, and you are less likely to accidently pull the trigger when you don't intend to. Simple operation, no safety, no decocker etc.

The gun is easy to field strip, just like a Glock. It comes with two stainless steel mags, 16 rounds +1 if your state allows them, other wise I think they are 10 round mags.

I was also considering a Ruger, but the grip of the Sigma felt better to me. The angle of the grip was better.

Some people like them and some don't. It's to early to tell, but so far I love mine. I would recommed it.
  9. mcw120566

mcw120566 Member

Sigma......You are correct, there are a lot of opinions out there and there seems to be no mid ground on them, people either love or hate them. We own a number of Smith autos, including three Sigma's. My wife has a 9mm and I have two 40's (one still stock, and one has had some trigger work done on it). They are regulars for us when we go to the rane, and we have had 0 problems with all of them. In my opinion, they are one of the safest, and best point and shoot guns on the market for the money. My wife and I both agree that the trigger pull is a bit long and heavy, but considering that the long and heavy trigger pull is the safey on the gun, we dont mind that a bit, you will never have an accidental dischage with it, you have to "want" it to shoot. So from a carry stand point, thats a good thing. Dont get me wrong, I love my SW99 and our M&P's, but for the mony you get a "big bang" for the buck with a Sigma.

Good luck!
  10. roaddog28

roaddog28 New Member

Your right. I own a 5903 and a SW40VE and I assure you they were made in the USA. As far as the Sigma line goes, my SW40VE performs well. A lot of people don't like them. But they are a entry level semi-auto. Just like the Ruger P series and others. I don't expect my Sigma to be the gun my 5903 is. But my Sigma goes bang every time even with cheap ammo. I do clean all of my guns and lube them on a regular basis. A lot of problems are not the fault of the gun.

Regards,
    roaddog28