The Firearms Forum banner

SW DA 45 and Rem Rand M1911

Tags
2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Betsy Hite 
#1 ·
Hello and thank you in advance. I am clearing out my late husbands guns and have two guns I really need help on.
The first gun is the SW DA 45. On the bottom of the grip says us army model 1917. no 17018. Low serial number only 4 numbers starting with 10xx. From what I have read this is not the Brazilian gun. I will upload pictures.
The second gun is a US Property remington Rand M1911. Pictures also coming. Would appreciate help on these two. I find prices all over the charts. I don't see any damage on either gun, just looks like normal wear to me.

Thank you again

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The SN is that 17018, that is on the butt of the gun, with the lanyard ring hole (since yours seems to be missing it). The 4-digit number on the cylinder crane is an assembly number. Not the serial number.

On the bottom of the barrel it should say UNITED STATES PROPERTY, and on the flat underneath the ejector rod, the serial number should be repeated.

#3 ·
I have seen a gun with what looked like a plug in the lanyard-ring hole, but when the grips were removed, there was the ring. The owner had reversed it, so it didn't get in his way, but it did not get lost. Missing the ring reduces the value. Although, missing rings can be replaced. You might pull the grips off and see if yours is in there.

#6 ·
Your pictures are not really clear enough to see the the actual condition of the guns. The 1911-A1 Remington looks good but there are details that make hundreds of dollars worth of difference. IF it is all original it is between 1500 to 2000 dollars. IF it is Arsenal refinished 500 to 700 dollars. If it is commercially refinished then knock off even more. Then there is a strong possibility it is a gun made from parts as is very common with arsenal refinished guns. Your serial number is in your favor as the Remington numbers as follows { Remington Rand: S/N 1,279,699 to 1,441,430 = 1943 } This means both the slide and frame are Remington manufacture. We would need to see many more good pictures of the gun to be sure of what you have.

The S&W Model 1917 is about the same story. It looks good in the pictures and if it is all original it is worth between 800 to 1200 dollars. If refinished cut that by at least 1/2. If the condition is better then I am thinking then it could be worth a little more. Good clear sharp pictures of the gun would be a big help. Close ups are needed to see the true condition.

Gun values on good collectible guns such as these hinges on the true condition more then the make or model.

#8 ·
hopefully better pictures...I really appreciate all the help guys

Attachments

#9 ·
I didn't know I was limited to 10 pictures. will post the others when I can

Attachments

#11 ·
The Remington looks good. I can't see everything but it looks original. The difference in color at the front of the slide is normal, it has to do with the hardening process. The magazine looks like it is a replacement but don't worry that is like buying a used car with different tires then original, no big deal. 1500 to 1800 would be my guess as to what it would bring on *********. You would need better pictures to show all the markings up close.

The 1917 looks original as well but in not as nice of condition. 600 to 800 would be my estimate. The finish shows a fair amount of wear and the swivel is missing.

To actually verify the all original status of these guns you almost need the gun in one hand and a good book in the other. US service weapons were almost always refinished and parts intermixed from gun to gun. Handguns escaped this process at a much higher rate the long guns for varying reasons. All original long guns are next to impossible to find.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.