SW MP15-22

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by 6x6pinz, Sep 21, 2009.

1. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

I picked up my new rifle the other day. I finally had a chance to take it out and shoot it this past weekend. I can now say that it is a real rifle as compared to the two Colt AR22's I have. While the accuracy is better with the colt and the SW MP over my GSG, the GSG still has the smoothest trigger but that is about it for the GSG. The SW MP shot exceptionally well and without even a hiccup while using Centurion 22lrs. Right out of the box it was dead on for me and a few others that had a chance to shoot it with me.
    Now if Sig will get off their @SS and get the new 522 out I can decide which rifle I will keep.:D
  2. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Very nice... Where are the pictures! :D

Crpdeth
  3. chucksolo69

chucksolo69 New Member

Since when is the Colt .22 M4 not a "real" rifle? Last I heard, it shoots the same cartridge as the M&P! It seems like everyone is praying at the altar of the M&P when actually, a .22 is a .22........ period. If you want a "real" AR, then buy a real AR. These .22s are not meant to be in the same class as a regular AR in .223. These are copies, replicas, etc. I bought my Colt/Walther .22 M4 because it looks like well, an M4. Even though some of the parts are non functional, the forward assist and the bolt catch (My dust cover works just fine), but so what!!! I enjoy firing my Colt/Walther just as much as you like your M&P. As far as accuracy goes, mine is deadly accurate. All in all, a .22 "tactical" rifle is a gun for having fun shooting, it is not meant to be a replacement for a "real" AR; I wish people would quit thinking about them as such. I get so sick of all the Colt/Walther .22 M4 bashing. Mine is great and the fact it is all metal and not plastic is a bonus for me.
  4. TOOHSOTKIL

TOOHSOTKIL New Member

When the little GSG-MP5 clone came to bear, it was a nice addition to the .22 market and now there is an AK47 model from the same folks. The AR model is somewhat confusing, since there has been two options available to that platform for decades. The chamber insert and the complete upper with the ladder being the best because it has the 1/16 twist for top notch accuracy. These complete uppers come in several flavors from plinkers to match grade.

I have an Armalite lower with a complete .22 upper (flattop) that can be mounted with iron or scoped sights. Total investment, $718.00 and it can change to 5.56/.223.

These little rimfire clones can never be anything but a rimfire. As Spock would say."It is not logical"

But then why should it??

Great marketing
  5. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

One of my biggest complaints about the Colt version is the difficulty in getting it truly clean. The lack of disassembly is troubling, to me at least. The difficulty in being able to get it clean has caused some trouble with feeding issues. The only way I have been able to get it to work properly is to use a spray cleaner and be exceptionally careful not to get it on the finish. The SW I can completely disassemble for a proper cleaning.
    I don't believe I bashed the Colt, heck I have two of them one in the M4 and the other in the OPs configuration. I would say that is a pretty good indicator that I like them but would really rather they would take apart more like a conventional rifle.

We will see what Sig has to offer, hopefully soon.
  6. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i have handled a Smith MP15/22 at a gunstore and i really liked it except for one thing. the magazine. the magazine is plastic. or something. and the feed lips are as well and my concern is that after a few years the magazines will wear and start causing problems. any 22 i have will get shot thousands and thousands of rounds a year, year after year if it is a good gun. so i am wondering how the mags will hold up to some real shooting, instead of a gun magazines review of 500 to 1000 rounds of 22 ammo. i will shoot 500 rounds in an evening. used to shoot 1000 rounds a week and didnt consider that a lot
  7. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

OK finally had a chance to stop shooting and get take a photo with the three rifles. The top 2 are the colts and the bottom is the sw mp15-22.
    I know I should have taken some with the mags installed but maybe later.
    [​IMG]
  8. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

I was able to take the MP15-22 out this weekend for some squirrel hunting. Did very well.
    [​IMG]
  9. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Very nice! Daddy like! :D

Congrats on the rats... you eat 'um?

Crpdeth
  10. 6x6pinz

6x6pinz New Member

Congrats on the rats... you eat 'um?

Thanks, I do eat them as do many folks that I know. I make a real mean tamale out of them and even people who don't like game animals enjoy them.

The more time I spend with the Mp15-22 the more I like it. I don't even take my Colts (ar15) versions out with me anymore. The colts just seem to get dirty too quick and then fail to function properly, something I have not seen with the Smith and Wesson.