SW1911 Slide Stuck Back

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Evenflow, May 8, 2009.

1. Evenflow

Evenflow New Member

Hey all,

I recently purchased a Sw1911 base model. I went and shot with it the other day and put 50 rounds through it.

However, when I put a full magazine in and rack the slide to put one in the chamber the slide stays stuck back and its a real pita to push the slide forward again, it just kinda stays stuck back and I need to finagle with it a bit to get it to release. It happens with all of my magazines I use so I dont think its a magazine problem.

So I tried something different today and had the gun slide already racked back and put a full magazine in, and then tried to release it and same thing. The slide stayed stuck back and only budged a quarter of an inch forward and I had to really muscle it to get it to slide forward.

does the gun just need to be broken in? Or maybe relubed? I cleaned it and lubed it thoroughly or at least I thought after I shot it the first time. Maybe I dont have the right technique for racking it right?

Great gun other than that, very fun to shoot.

Thanks
    Last edited: May 8, 2009
  2. Goneracin

Goneracin New Member

that sounds pretty messed up, good luck with that.
  3. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

First, let me welcome you to The Forum. Second, if I recently purchased it new, I would immediately take it back to the place of purchase and discuss the problem with them. I would think that a place of business would want to keep you coming back.

A couple of years ago, I bought a new Beretta .380, the first time I took it to the range, the extractor broke after about a dozen rounds, so I went straight from the range to the gun shop where I bought it. They took it and sent it back to Beretta and had it repaired for me.
  4. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Is the slide release getting stuck in that little dimple in the slide that you line up on when disassembling the gun? Not the catch but that little dimple back from it...

Or... and i'm not sure if i have my terminology right but have you looked at the slide rails? that connects the slide and the lower part of the gun. Are there any gouges in the slots?

While dissassembled does the underside of the slide have any kind of gouges in that little strip that rides over the bullets? Where there is a dip or whatever cut into that does it look normal and not deformed?

Has the gun been reassembled correctly? with the slide stop pin going thru that little loop on the barrel??

And kind of abnormal wear on the outside of the barrel or anything odd on the inside of the barrel bushing?

I'm not a 1911 expert by stretch of the imagination but i think its something simple...something overlooked...
    There are enough gosh darn parts on a 1911 that you have to pay attention when reassembling it.

mike
    gn
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

What happens when you put one less round in the magazine? How about two less? Is getting the last round in the magazine extremely difficult? Are all the magazines exactly the same in terms of capacity and maker?

Sometimes new mag springs are pretty strong and force the first bullet of a full mag hard against the bottom of the slide or are extremely hard to get the first round to feed out of the mag. Eventually they loose some of their strength and all is well. Often they work fine with fewer cartridges. Just shoot several thousand rounds with the mags not loaded to capactiy and occasionally check to see if the springs have sagged enough to allow full mag capacity.

It may also be a gun problem but because it happens only on the first round out of the full magazine, I suspect not. If it is a gun problem then the slide release is the area to inspect, I would think.

LDBennett
    Last edited: May 9, 2009
  6. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

at first i thought wooohoooo yet another chance to bash smith and wesson, but i think mr. LDBENNETT, comments are right on check the magazine with one less round. very common problem with stiff magazine springs. either way it's not a serious problem
  7. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

When the slide sticks as you described, does it push that first round into the ramp at all? What I'm asking is the bullet catching on the feed ramp? What type of ammo are you firing? (This is a common malfunction with some new base model 1911's even with ball/FMJ. If that's the case it usually self-corrects with break-in in about 400-500 rounds in my experience. Or you can speed the process by doing a polish job on the ramp.)

What LD said is on point with the mags. A simple check with 1 round, then 2, then etc could eliminate or confirm the mags...or go buy a new mag of different brand and try it.

You can check your rails by stripping the weapon and putting your slide back on. Slowly tilt it back, then forwards to ensure no catches in the rails. A visual inspection of the rails too. If you have doubt, color the rails with a black marker, then work the slide until you hit the suspect spot, and observe the wear.

You could have a gunsmith check your extractor. If it is too tight it can retard the base of the cartridge from moving up onto the breach face. This will hang a slide.
  8. PPK 32

PPK 32 Active Member

9. Montie364

Montie364 New Member

You should be able to disassemble the pistol and look for any rough wear spots.
    Sounds to me like your slide stop is not fully seated.