swamp people-is it just me

Discussion in 'The Hunting & Fishing Forum' started by old semperfi, Oct 11, 2010.

1. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i have been following the show swamp people and i seem to have seen some strange things while watching that i am not sure i understand.i know editing is part of it but i have watched them pick up a winchester semi auto right handed and the next time it shows it being held left handed and ejection on the left side,before that it was ejecting on the right side.i know that winchester did not make a left hand ejecting 22 at that time.i have also seen them pick up a marlin bolt 22 rifle and do the same thing.i dont know of they are turning the negative backwards or what,poor editing.i have also seen them shoot an alligator and the bolt not move on the rifle.the last thing i will mention is when they show a scene and his lifts up a 10-22 and shoots a marlin model 60.i know being an x jar head i maybe seeing things but has anyone else seen this. old semperfi
  2. TomsXL#3

TomsXL#3 New Member

I haven't seen the footage you mentioned, but I know exactly what you mean, and I think you're right on about reversing negatives. I have seen countless things the last couple years, from car ads with the brand name backwards, to TV and movie screw-ups doing the same thing. Yet another symptom of the lack of standards in everything anymore, TV included. Aggravates the crap out of me.
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i watch that show some, and i've have noticed that. one thing that got me was it showed the guy lift up a 22 rifle, then it showed him from the other side and it was a marlin 336 with a scope, then it showed him shoot the gator and it was a 22 rifle again.

then i seen them pick up a bolt action scoped rifle like a rem700 and take aim, and then it switched and he fired and it was a 22
  4. BillM

BillM Active Member

Yup. REALLY poor editing. Or some idiot that thinks all guns are the same,
    and that the viewers won't notice. Switching 22's from frame to frame is
    bad enough, but the 22 to scoped centerfire to 22 again in 5 seconds or
    less is a little over the top.

Last night they were whining about getting skunked, and just for a second
    they showed part of the bottom of the boat--and guess what--there was
    a gator laying in it.

Kind of a fun show. Could use a little less drama and a whole lot more
    attention to detail.
  5. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

Frying the frog legs made me hungry, Yum.:D:D
  6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

My opinion, for what it's worth, they can only film so much to make an episode and to keep it all up to "par" and as exciting as they can...edit, edit, edit!
  7. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Member

I rarely watch it but I do think it's funny that they sometimes put English text on the screen translating what they are saying---but when a Yankee talks funny on TV, there's never any translation. :)
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    What's happening is that these folks carry several different guns with them. They run down to the pawn shop and buy a cheap .22 rifle, or pistol. They rust up pretty fast the way they are used, and they will pick up what ever gun is most handy in the boat. The producers will shoot many hours of film, and with more than one camera, just to make a 30 minute show. After cutting, and editing, you wind up with this kind of stuff, picked up a 10/22, and shot the gator with a Marlin. What we didn't see was that the 10/22 wasn't loaded, or miss fired, and the hunter had to grab another gun.
  9. TomsXL#3

TomsXL#3 New Member

I grew up here in Maine. Truth is, you're right...there are times I struggle to understand what the hell people are mumbling about. "Ayuh." :D
  10. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

That is the funny part. If they only met some of my Florida Friends.:)
  11. wpage

wpage Active Member

It is a fun show! Warts and all...
  12. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

The show's hoot.
    My family & I watch it.
    I see a real opportunity being missed by some gun oil company. The next episode could show the guns all clean & the folks comenting that now with so-and-so oil "our guns never misfire."
  13. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I've been watching a lot of these "reality" shows lately like Ma's Roadhouse and Operation Repo and have come to the conclusion that much of this stuff is staged. They may be real people who actually do these jobs but I think they are creating situations just to titilate their audience. So these folks become actors and not "real" people.
  14. Sandman

Sandman New Member

They overly dramatize it. For example, when catching gators is their main goal instead of filming a cool show, they try NOT to stir up the gator and have him thrashing around. It is better to ease him up gently until you can put a bullet in him without hitting a moving target. But, the general process is as they show it. The details have just been "embellished".
  15. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

I agree...a lot of its for show. My grandpa taught me how to catch em a longgggg time ago.