SWC seating depth

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by azleite, Dec 16, 2009.

1. azleite

azleite Member

Hi Folks, I recently loaded up some 200grn LSWC (Lasercast) for my Colt .45 auto & they were real accurate (& dirty!) However, when I try to use them in my Ruger Blackhawk .45 a.c.p. cylinder they stick out the back of the cylinder too far. So I took one round & kept seating the bullet deeper in the case until I could put the cylinder in the gun & rotate it without binding up. All said & done the top of the bullet rim was "almost" flush with the top of the case. Would this be safe to shoot or would the pressures be too high? These are starting loads using W231. Thanks for any advice-Dave
  2. Tango Victor

Tango Victor New Member

I would consult a good loading manual and follow it's recommendation. I don't have a manual in front of me but generally you should be able to seat a 200 gr LSWC between 1.16 and 1.26 OAL depending on the powder charge. It is sometimes necessary to experiment within this range to find an OAL that feeds reliably in your pistol. Again I stress that you should consult a reputable loading manual and follow their recomendation as seating depth has a significant impact on pressure and 1.16 may be too short for heavy loads.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Would you mind posting your OAL measurements? What reference are you using for your data? I'm not sure what you mean exactly by the bullet rim being flush, ( pretty sure, but that's not close enough by my standards ) if you have a pic of before and after, that would be GREAT. :cool:
  4. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

I do not know about your gun but I seat my SWC's to the edge of the larger part of the bullet body. This is for 40 S&W in semi auto handguns.
  5. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

"Almost flush" is the way I've been reloading .45 SWC bullets for 25 years. Plus, your Ruger is a mighty tough gun.
  6. Smoky14

Smoky14 Member

How much 231 are you using???
  7. azleite

azleite Member

Thanks Folks for replying, Woolleyworm my OAL for shooting in my 1911 is 1.244 & I had to seat them down to 1.193 to get them to work in the Blackhawk cylinder. Smoky, I'm using 4.4 grns of 231. Am I ok pressure wise here Folks? Thanks, Dave