Swede Model 94 Carbine

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by yardbird, Jun 23, 2012.

1. yardbird

yardbird New Member

A fellow up the street would like to buy my Carbine...It has been hanging on my was since June 1970..never did shoot it..I have benn out of the loop for some years, but understand they sell well..thinking of asking $800.00 does that sound ok?

Attached Files:

2. Buffalochip

Buffalochip Active Member

Sounds a bit high--check some of the online gun auctions to see what they are selling for.
  3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

That is a really nice looking 94!
    Is it numbers matching?
    Does it have the Interarms marking on it at all? IIRC, Interarms brought most of those surplus 94 into the US in the 60s and 70s and they pretty much had pick of the litter and there are some very nice ones to be found.

If all numbers are matching, then $700-800 isn't out of line. If everything matches, then it's most likely never been through an arsenal refurbish.
    If some of the smaller parts (like the barrel band, mag floorplate, bolt parts, etc) aren't matching then the price will drop down to $400-500 pretty quickly. If smaller parts are mismatched, then it's most likely an arsenal refurb done at one of the military depots.
    If condition drops away from Excellent then you can start dropping value as well. Looking at the couple pics you posted, I'd call it either Excellent or Very Good condition. For VG, take 10% off of the above numbers I listed.

You don't see many 94 carbines on the auction sites or at shows anymore so it's pretty hard to get a current pricetag. They are a lot scarcer than the 96 long rifle or the 96/38 or 38 short rifles though so they usually command a little more money than the more common Swedes do.
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  4. yardbird

yardbird New Member

Thanks for the replies...all numbers that I can find do match.. This Rifle has been on my back gun rack since June 1970. no import marks..checked NOT ALLOWED and not much there.....very nice little rifle..I never have shot it..
  5. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

They're a hoot to shoot! Especially if you can get some surplus Swede rifle loads. (Try it just about dusk..:D)
    Does it have the little "extension" added to the end of the barrel?
  6. yardbird

yardbird New Member

Yes it has an extension.
  7. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

If it has no import marks, I know collectors will pay premium for those over an importer marked piece. I don't know for sure how much extra that adds though.
    Without seeing the condition of the bore (and assuming it's as nice as the exterior) I don't see a problem with your $800 pricetag.

With no importer marking and with the muzzle extension, it was imported prior to the Gun Control Act of '68. Before the GCA68, the minimum rifle barrel length was 18" and that's why the muzzle extension was added to the imported M94s.
    Also, after the GCA68 went into effect importer marks were required.

And like Deadin said, the little carbines are a blast to shoot...literally!
    Just like the stumpy little Mosin-Nagant carbines, the fireball is pretty impressive.
    As for the fact that you've never fired it...it's a surplus rifle so it's already been fired a few times. :) but, if you don't have a use for it and someone else is interested then by all means get that deal working.
    My introduction to the Swede was with a friend's M94, which is also a pre-68 import. I've had quite a few M96s and M96/38s but I'm still trying to talk him out of that little M94. :)