Swiss Army Knives

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by Kahr, Nov 22, 2006.

1. Kahr

Kahr New Member

Just curious as to how many of you carry one? And if you do, what model is it? I'm more or less obsessed with Victorinox products, I have a SA watch, a butcher block full of Victorinox knives in the kitchen and around 10 different SA muti-tool knives that I alternate for pocket carry. My current favorite is my Voyager Lite, heres a link as opposed to listing all the features http://www.swissarmy.com/cgi-bin/Ms...d=707&query=voyager lite&hiword=lite voyager

I remember when I was 8 years old and my grandpa gave me my first SA classic, I have not been with out one in my pocket since, if I for some reason forget to have one in my pocket(extremely rare) I feel like I'm leaving the house without my pants or something. Anyway, wanted to know if everyone else feels the same as I about Swiss Army.
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2006
  2. john riley

john riley New Member

I'm a big fan of the Vic. S.A. products carried a swiss huntsman attatched to mini mag solitaire light for many-many years I felt like with that combo I was ready for anythin!!!! I still think they are a great product however I feel that they've been alittle outshined by the newer more versatil Leatherman wave or sog multi tools> I carry a leatherman wave with me hereever I go But would feel almost as equally prepared if I had swiss huntsman!
  3. Nighthawk

Nighthawk New Member

I carry a soldier . when I used to work they would tease about my McGiver knife, but repaired a lot of machines with it.:) :)
  4. Tac

Tac *TFF Admin*

I have I guess what would be the first SAK, it's the big
    one w/stag/bone? panels and has not only a full size
    fork and spoon, but everything else one could imagine,
    scisors, files, big knife, small knife, etc, etc.... I have it
    tucked away (oh yeah cork screw, screw drivers, saw,
    fish scaler, punch, big loop ring and originally my first
    one (when I was about eight) was in a metal studded
    leather belt case w/slide clip closure.

My brother brought it home for me when he left europe
    after his service in the Army.... I had it for years when I
    was a kid, but it came up missing somewhere along the
    years.... About 8-years ago I had mentioned the above
    to one of my cousin's who happens to be an avid knife
    collector and about 2-months later a package arrived
    from him and when I opened it, there it was, he had
    found one and sent it to me. It needed a little cleaning
    up, but not much, and that's the one I still have put away,
    minus the leather case, wish I could find one of those to go
    with this one.

I was told that these were WWII era.

Tac
  5. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I have got a Swissy around here somewheres I have got lazy to my Leatherman couldn't live without it
  6. Tac

Tac *TFF Admin*

Can't eat like home with a LM, I got one too,
    but nothin like that WWII SA, each can of soup
    or whatever I might use it for in the future, I will
    wonder how many soldiers in battle areas were
    in their Fox Holes using them.... That Sea Rat crap
    was the worst part, live game was a golden gift when
    (if at all) possible.

Tac
  7. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

I carry a Super Tinker and I wear a SA Watch on my wrist. I even own a Swiss Army Tackdriver, aka Karabine-31. [grin]

My kitchen knives, however, are made by Friedrich Dick. I have an 8" Chef's Knife, 12" Slicer, 3.5" Paring Knife, a 10" Steel and a 6" Fork, all by Dick.

Yes, I have a 12" Dick, a 10" Dick, an 8" Dick, a 6" Dick and a 3.5" Dick.

[grin]

http://www.fdick.com/
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2006
  8. Kahr

Kahr New Member

Super Tinker is a good one, that's what I carried for some time up until about 6 months ago when I got my voyager lite.
  9. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

I carry the big Victrinox - I forget the model - but it has all the usual items plus the jewelers screw driver, straight pin, chisel, etc. It goes on the belt along with the Gerber Multi-Plier. As a pair they are tough to beat.
  10. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I have a big WWII era Swiss but don't carry it mainly due to its being so big and heavy. In the past I have ruined many a pocket and had to have the tailor replace.

Since my Daughter, who worked in design helping develop the Mercedes "M" class vehicles, gave me my first Leatherman. I have carried one of those on my belt daily. I currently am carrying, and have since it came out, a WAVE. I thought she was crazy at first but wouldn't be without it now. In my pocket, I carry an Uncle Henry mini pocket knife, and have for over forty years, neigh on the fifty years.
  11. john riley

john riley New Member

Marlin,

Here, here to the versatility and sheer awesomeness of the leatherman wave, I"ve worked NYC EMS for the past 5 years and am constantly headed into situations where any variety of Shenanigans are possible, and having the leatherman multi-tool gives me an easy peacefull feeling about it all
  12. I too carry a pocket Leatherman, Marlin, a small one. While I like the Swiss knives, they do tend to be pretty heavy and bulky. I carry one in my truck though, and it has come in handy a time or two.
  13. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

I've owned and carried many of the SA models over the years. I now have about 10 Leatherman tools spread about in different tool boxes and in cars. I carry a Buck crosslock PRCA knife; I needed the hoof-pick much worse than the darned cork screw.

My father bought one of the display knives from the (1960's?). Big thing on a pedistal with lots of blades in it (completely useless). He sells about 100 SA's a year. He gave me one when I was about ten. I didn't take well to it at the time; my godfather had given me a Q81 barlow that I loved about a year previously.
  14. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

I have the Tinker but I've never carried it. I don't know what model the little Wenger is that I do carry is but it has only two blades & is super thin. My Leatherman rides in it's little pouch on my belt.

I checked & the thin knife is a Patriot. Also, I remembered that my wristwatch is a Wenger Brigade.
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2007