Swiss K-31

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

K75RT
    (12/22/01 6:00:19 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Swiss K-31
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This is a follow up to a post I made that started as a post on the Yugo M48A.
    I received my K-31 from SOG on Wednesday, it is in very good condition showing the usual bumps and bruises, most steamed out quite readily. The bluing is about 95% the bore is like a mirror.
    The Swiss K-31 generally has a tag that is under the buttplate. It tells the name, unit, company, address and town of the owner. Mine has the serial # one one side of the tag. On the other side it has the: Zurcher, Hans 35
    Fus. Kp II/31
    Emmentalstr.
    Oberburg/ BE
    Translated it means, Hans Zurcher born 1935 was in the 2nd Rifle Company, 31 Battalion; he lived on Emmantal Street in Oberburg, Canton of Bern.
    Now- I did not decipher this on my own, there are lots of people out there that know a lot more about these rifles than I do! They are a mechanical marvel to say the least. If anyone has seen one of these you'll know what I'm talking about. The prices on these are very reasonable, SOG has them for 139, AIM has them for 109-179 and there are a host of others.

AntiqueDr
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (12/22/01 6:02:44 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Swiss K-31
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How is the ammo supply.... that's 7.5 Swiss, right?

We Buy Guns! 1 - 100, Antique or Modern!
    www.apaxenterprises.com

K75RT
    (12/22/01 6:32:22 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Swiss K-31
    Ammo is no problem, AIM and SOG are inporting it and I believe that Coles Distributing is, too. The 7.5 uses your basic .30 caliber bullets, loading data is quite readily available.
    Dies are available from RCBS, Redding, and Lee Precision. The brass I have is G11 and it is boxer primed. Another bonus is that the Swiss don't use corrosive ammo, haven't since the early 1920's. I haven't loaded any reloads yet but I certainly will when I use up the factory stuff.

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (12/22/01 9:27:39 pm)
    Looks like you made out a little better than I did. I probably have about 50% blueing with nearly none at the muzzle end. What year was your stock made? Mine is dated May of 41 which matches the inspectors mark. In case you don't know how to check, look under the butt plate again and you'll see something like V 41 the first part is the month and the last is the year.

K75RT
    (12/22/01 9:53:51 pm)
    My stock is marked X 49 or October 1949. How is your bore and the wood on your rifle?

Moskovskyya
    (12/23/01 6:56:51 am)
    I got mine from Simpsons LTD, 1948, came with sling, muzzle cover, beech stock I think, its light colored, very few dents and dings. Many have arrived with 2 inches of the butt stock sort of ruff, (not this one) some say its due to troop formations with the butt standing in the snow and salt. The grade 3 that I ordered is excellent, all matching, blue 98%, excellent shooter. I don't think I could have paid for either of the 2 better grades and gotten a better rifle. The grade 1's had walnut stocks, but the couple I've seen were rough. I'd personally rather have a very good "anything" stock, than a fair / good walnut.

I ordered Norma match ammo from Grafs, and with the 03ffl discount, I paid bout $9 / box 20, and have been reloading since. If you want to fire a fine, unique, and accurate rifle, I'd recommend these K31's, you won't be disappointed.

Also, I haven't heard any reports from anywhere that the bores are anything less than perfect.

K75RT
    (12/23/01 8:25:03 am)
    I've found a forum that is a wealth of knowledge. There are a few Swiss residents that help with deciphering the buttstock tags and can answer most queries. There is reloading, date of manufacture, refinishing and accessories discussed. pub55.ezboard.com/fcollec...rm1?page=1

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (12/23/01 4:52:05 pm)
    75; thanks for the link, lots of info there. As for a follow up....The bluing on my K-31 is about 50% on the receiver(very thin) and about 10% at the muzzle. The barrel band with the sling loop has no bluing on it at all. The stock has no cracks but has numerous small dents thru-out it. If I decide to refinish the stock, most of the dents should disappear. All numbers match(receiver, bolt, mag, barrel and stock. There was no tag under the butt plate. I was disappointed about that part and my wife said to me when I mentioned it to her "Well then buy another one if you want".(Better hang on to her ) The bore looks like a mirror even before cleaning it. This was just a quick look over. I haven't had time to really inspect the rifle.

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.

K75RT
    (12/23/01 6:11:29 pm)
    Flhunter,
    I saw your posting on the Swiss Forum, these guys are the Swiss answer source! Doesn't sound like you really got Hand Picked, too bad, I've had excellent luck with SOG. I do have one complaint though, I received the M48A and it came with the sling and no mounting hardware or buckle. I sent them and email but it is the Holidays. I have the third coat of finish on my stock and it is taking on a nice look.
    I think you should hang on to your wife! My wife understands my addiction too! She likes to shoot on occasion and she's actually a decent shot, no bad habits! Happy Holidays and Best Wishes in the New Year.

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (12/23/01 6:53:17 pm)
    Same here, SOG has always done me right. I do not have an extra buckle, but I do have an extra brass pin for your sling if you need one. It has been cleaned with brasso and looks almost new. I just purchased 3 slings from CDNN for the M48 for $5 each and they are in great shape, almost new. You might want to give them a try if you need extras.

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.

RGRWJB
    (12/29/01 11:22:48 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Swiss K-31
    K75

Thanks for the compliment. Everyone have a Happy New Year. It will be another year to look for good Mil Surp deals.

RGR WJB
    Swiss Rifle Forum
    pub55.ezboard.com/fcollec...s35625frm1