Swiss K-31

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Tom Militano, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Tom Militano

Tom Militano New Member

Was thinking about buying a Swiss K-31 7.5x55 rifle. Any thoughts on them? From what I've read their pretty accurate and well built.
  2. My advice on the K-31, Tom, is quite simple: Run, don't walk, to the closest dealer get one while they're still available! :D The K-31 is a FANTASTIC rifle, and by far the most accurate military rifle I've ever shot. The ones now being imported from Switzerland were beautifully maintained. The bores are almost pristine, the stocks in very good shape (a few dings here and there), and the action on these rifles works like the fine machine it is. I own two of them and wouldn't even consider selling them. One useful addition, in my opinion, is to get a good set of aperture sights for the rifle. The military sights are OK, but the aperture really increases accuracy; it did for me at least. Mojo makes a great set of aperture sights for them, by the way.

http://www.mojosights.com
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I agree with Pistolenschutze. Get them while you can.

They are excellent shooters. The accuracy amazes me. We shoot at metal silohuettes at ranges from 100yds to over 500 yds and the K31 is by far the most accurate of all the Military guns I own (two M1 Garands, a Mosin Nagant, a Mauser K98, and a Yogo SKS) and are better than several of my modern rifles. I think the key may also be the "Match " surplus ammo they sell too. It is superb. I tried to buy a lifetime supply but I'm shooting it up too fast and I think I need to get more.

As an aside there is a little peice of paper under the butt plate that tells you who it was checked out to in the Swiss Army. Some here have actually contacted the former users.

LDBennett
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Hey LDB, where do you this "match" ammo you talk about? Please let me know as I would like to fire my K-31. Thanks

IPT
  5. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Member

I own three K-31s and I'm amazed how well each one shoots. As to the name tag under the butt plate, two of mine had one. I was able to get in touch with the family of the original owner of one of the rifles in Switzerland. They sent me several old pictures of he and his family. They we're really greatful when I sent them the original name tag back to them. The original owner (their Dad) had passed away in 1988, so it seemed to mean a lot to them to get the tag.
    The reason I bought three was so I could use the little stacking rod on the end of the rifle.
    Huck

Attached Files:

6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

AMMO:

I believe the same importers of the K-31's did the ammo too. I got my ammo from a dealer that does a lot of surplus stuff. A Google search might reveal who is still selling it. Or Shotgun News might have it in one of the ads.

LDBennett
  7. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Thanks PS and LDB. I'll go buy some. :) :)
  8. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 New Member

Good rifles, expensive ammo.
  9. wallgunner

wallgunner New Member

We have two in the family. One is a strict model 1911 infantry rifle, long and heavy, never shot it. The second looks like it's been sporterized for hunting. Stock cut back and rounded, new finish. Action is slick as can be, but looks like someone hunted with it. They were both my grandfathers, I remember him letting me carry the infantry rifle when I was like 8 years old. it seemed huge at the time. Now they just sit in the closet. I think I'm gonna have to bring them to the range!
    What do you all think of them as a hunting rifle? I've only looked on swissrifles.com to see the different models. I see what it might have been in it original form, but like I stated, I think it's has been sporterized. Stock sights, action, everything, just the stock was cut back like you seen done on SMLE's or Springfields. Thanks for the info
  10. It's an excellent hunting rifle and caliber, Wall, but you'll encounter a couple of minor problems. First, in its military configuration it's a pretty heavy rifle. It was originally intended to be used by Swiss army troops in the Alps, mostly from defensive positions so it didn't need to be terribly light. You can, however, buy a sportarized stock for it. I know Boyds makes them. The other problem, unless you handload, is finding good, commercially packaged hunting ammo for it. Most all of the import stuff is military ball and not suitable for hunting. Fortunately, if you handload, you're in good shape. Despite the nomenclature, the 7.5x55 uses a straight 7.62mm (.308) bullet, the same as the .30-06. Boxer primed and thus reloadable cases for this caliber that are not terribly easy to find, but they are out there. Graffs carries them, I think. The military stuff is all Berdan primed. The caliber seems to like IMR 4320 and IMR 4895 powders pretty well, along with 175 to 180 grain bullets.
  11. superray

superray New Member

If the original Swiss Brass is not around you might try making some from .284 Winchester. You push a .284 round in a Lyman .307 "M" die to expand the neck,after which you run it up in a 7.5 Swiss FL die. The .284 brass is really tuff-stuff and can stand a lot of full-length sizing sessions. A really great bullet is the Sierra 168 International. I used this combination back in 81'-84'in the local 100 yd. high-power matches and it worked great. Later,...Ray
  12. I've heard you can make 7.5x55 casings from .284 brass but I've never tried it. The Swiss rifles are becoming so popular here though, that I would not be surprised to see good boxer primed brass offered by Remmington or Winchester soon.
  13. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member