Swiss K31 previous owners??

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by LDBennett, Feb 7, 2006.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Someone pointed out that if you remove the butt plate there is a small piece of paper there that has the name and city of the original assigned user to the gun. In the Swiss Army you took your rifle home with you to make you part of their national guard, always ready.

Post your previous owner. Here's mine.

Attached Files:

• K31.jpg
      K31.jpg
      File size:
      53.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2006
  2. Toney

Toney Member

Both my rifles have a card to!!! Neat rifles, will outshoot just about anything scoped or not!
  3. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Tag Translation Help: http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/tags/
    His name is Eugen Fröhle
    He was assigned to Headquarters Battery Mobile(?) Unit 16
    He lived (lives?) in Männedorf. It's a shame it doesn't have his year of birth.

There are two Eugen Fröhle's living in Switzerland today. You can find their addresses here: http://tel.search.ch/result.en.html?name=fr%F6hle%2C+eugen&help=linkspell

One of them still lives in Männedorf.

What's the Serial Number? You can look on this page:
    http://www.radix.net/~bbrown/schmidt_rubin.html

It will tell you when the K31 was manufactured.

My tag:
    [​IMG]

Philippe Petter, born in 1923, lived in Prilly, Vaud Canton at 13 Ave. de Florissant. He was Staff of 51 heavy canon battery. I've looked him up in the Swiss phone book and there are two Philippe Petters, one who still lives in Vaud, just a little bit away from Prilly. I've already written a letter to him and sent it to him.
  4. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Great piece of detective work, John. Many thanks for your time. :)
  5. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

I'm not sure, but I *think* that Eugen was a "telefon soldat" or Telephone Soldier. Probably their equivalent of Signal Corps lineman.
  6. Roughrdr

Roughrdr New Member

I had a K31 awhilke back and hearing the same about the card I pulled mine off but it was not there. Think someone else got to it before I did. :mad:
  7. candr44

candr44 New Member

I took my butt plate off and found a piece of sand paper. I guess the soldier had a lot of important sanding to do.
  8. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

That sucks, Rough. All I know is if I found one, it would go RIGHT back under there when I was done reading it...that's HISTORY you're playing with...just THINK what that will mean someday to somebody else about a hundred or more years from now!

I read an old collector's book years ago that says we don't actually OWN any of our guns, but are merely "caretakers" of them for all the FUTURE owners of them. That REALLY makes you think if you care to contemplate it...

And THEN start to think about all those guys "sporterizing" all those "perfect" Springfield .58s after the Civil war, or 03s in the 50s and 60s, or all the CHERRY issue 1911s and 1911a1s "chopped" to shoot IPSC.... :mad:
  9. Not to mention all those beautiful, pristine Mossy Nags being sportarized these days, Polish. ;) :D
  10. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I KNOW....I feel so DIRTY... :cool:

ACTUALLY, I have no problem "resurrecting" a "Ufixem" or "Gunsmith's Special" at all, to any reincarnation, it's the perfectly good specimens of wartime models at least, or some rare other military models that might not have seen a war, that we shouldn't touch, besides MAYBE a refinishing of the wood if it's done well...that's ALL I have ever done to even my "ratty" complete MNs...I mean, after all, if they are in pieces in the FIRST place, and even restoring them to "normal" condition by anyone other than a military arsenal for reissue would STILL be "not original," so I figure, chop away!

Now on the other hand, COMMERCIAL guns, I have no problem with...what's "original" condition ANYWAY when you can buy them NEW with so many options and variations, BEFORE changing sights or adding scopes...but the author of that book made it sound like a crime to EVER alter ANY gun from it's "original" state...at SOME time, you the owner SHOULD have the freedom to do with it what you will...but it's the HISTORY we should preserve, not necessarily the GUN, in my book...

Then again, sometimes I have seen pictures of modified guns, like the chopped 1860 Armys that a lot of outlaws and lawmen made into "snub" pocket guns, so maybe by altering SOMETIMES you are putting "History" INTO the gun...

Hhmmmm..sometimes I argue in circles with MYSELF! :D :D :D

Actually, I feel very strongly BOTH ways... :) :cool:
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  11. All kidding aside Polish, I generally agree with you on this issue. I see no harm in sportarizing a fix-up rifle which would probably end up being used as parts anyway, or one that was built in such abundance as the Mossy Nags and M98 Mausers--literally in the millions.
  12. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Member

Two of my K-31's had tags under the butt plate. After a little detective work, I was able to contact one of the previous owner's family. The family sent me some great pictures of he and his family. So I sent them the original tag that their father (who died in 1988) had placed in his rifle so many years ago. I figured it belongs with them.
    Huck