Synthetic lubes and cleaners

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by sigpro2022, Jan 28, 2012.

1. sigpro2022

sigpro2022 New Member

I just purchased a Sig Sauer pistol, it came with Mil Comm's TW25B grease. I tried it and loved it. Any opinions on using synthetic lube and cleaners? I've always been a Hoppe's 9 fan and Rem Oil or WD40. I've tried the gun grease that came with my Sig on my Glock and Beretta, also using it on my Bushmaster M4.

Has anyone had any bad reactions to using these synthetic products?
  2. sctt77

sctt77 New Member

ive always used what you said can remember my grandpa always said dont need nothin but the40
  3. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Synthetic lubes surround me in my world.......they are superb !
    The 25B is good lube, although I personally don't like the residue
    it leaves. I prefer an 'oil' viscosity[wipe on-wipe off],
    not a grease as it tends more to 'collect' dirt and dust
    particles.
    Many of us here use SBGO......and after many, many tests,
    continue to swear by it, as the residue left behind after vigorous
    wiping, not only continues to lube and protect well, but doesn't
    attract dust and the such.
    I use other oils as well in certain applications, but I NEVER
    use WD40 around-in-on any of my arms.
  4. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    synthetic is the way to go.they dont tend to build up as pertroleum products do. old semperfi
  5. Doug B.

Doug B. New Member

I agree 100%!
  6. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

It makes little difference which lube you use as long as:

-you don't use too much

-you clean the gun after EVERY range session

Regular cleaning, like after every range session, keeps any glop the lubricant may develop from accumulating unless the shooting session is one heck of long shooting-fest.

Good old Hoppe's gun oil serves me well. I still use Hoppe's #9 and MPro 7, my solvent tank, and Sweet's, OTIS's solvent, and several other cleaners. They all work, some better than others. But the cleaning exercise is much easier when all you have to remove is a shooting day's worth of crude.

As an aside, the master gunsmith that does most of the AGI videos for particular guns uses Simple Green, first soaoking the gun parts in it for several minutes, then rinsing it with clear water. He follow that with a drying in the oven on LOW or with compressed air or even a hair dryer. He then thoroughly soaks the gun parts in Break Free, lets them sit in it for a few minutes and then wipes them off before reassembling the gun. To each his own!

LDBennett
  7. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

WD40 is a strong cleaner and rust remover. Blueing is a form of controlled rusting that protects the surface from real rust. I use whichever lube is available, sometimes Remington, sometimes Breakaway lube. As for cleaners, I usually use Hoppes #9, especially when I have 2 bottles and a vial of it.
  8. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Both are effective, but I think the synthetics have the edge. In the desert where I shoot, the dust is amazingly fine. It is as fine as volcanic dust, which gets into everything. It is hard on the action of any gun. Some of my guns have polished moving parts, and you can tell the difference when they get gritty. It just seems as though the synthetics don't get the buildup of crud as much. But, I like Hoppes #9 for cleaning.
  9. 76Highboy

Also, one last thought. When I sharpen my knives, I like to use Rem Oil on my fine stone. It puts a smoother edge on the knife as opposed to honing oil or 3-in-1 oil because it doesn't sludge up as bad. It's just a little cleaner and smoother in my opinion.
  10. jeffadaklin

jeffadaklin New Member

There's an article in the new Combat Handguns that tells about cleaning your handgun, and lubrication. They gu goes into great detail, but the lubrication is what I found- questionable. There's a photo of a 1911 there, but he never says the article is for cleaning them. Near the end he talks about getting lube into the trigger mechanism, and then applying grease to the slide at the obvious places. But he says 'and whatever grease spills out on to the side of the pistol can be wiped off.' I would never put that much grease in my polymer striker-fired Ruger or S&W. Maybe I'm missing something...
    BTW I've also heard horror stories ( this is worth exactly what it cost you :) about WD40 ruining finishes on some guns- hand- or long-.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  11. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Grease in a poly handgun? Never hear of that, either. The only thing I use on my XD9 is either Hoppes (on the slide and barrel) and/or a one of those silicon cleaning clothes.
  12. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

SBGO all the way here ( but i'm biased )
  13. langenc

langenc Member

TW25B=$48/8 ounces
  14. hansom

hansom Former Guest

THe WD in WD 40 stands for water dispersant it is not even a cleaner, REmoil is crap and the active ingredient in in hoppes is Kerosene you can make it yourself, dont buy a $800 Gun then "clean it " with crap.

TW25/Kleenbore is top notch stuff , i personally tested it myself, put it my freezer for 2 weeks and it wouldnt freeze and remain the same consistency afterwards, i did the same for Shooters choice, but the absolute best synthetic is Eezox, not cheap but its the best and it smells like mens cologne so your wife wont throw you out of the house when you clean your guns.
    Sorry i'm a straight shooter!
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  15. jeffadaklin

jeffadaklin New Member

Started to add I use Eezox, too. I've seen it highly recommended in several places. I also use the spray CLP cleaner- spray it into the barrel, guide-rod, sometimes into the trigger housing. But kinda hate to do that, afraid I won't get it good and dry and then have gunk accumulating in there. On the lube-spots usually I use OUTERS Gun Lube- gun oil- whatever they call it.
  16. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Many of you newer folks are not aware of Silver Bullet Gun Oil (SBGO) as we refer to it here at TFF. If you want to try some of the best oil on the market, go to our own CW GRIPS store here at TFF and see Carl for a bottle. I think you may find you will be done with the rem oil afterwards.
  17. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Why are people so obsessed with cleaning every time you go to the range? I clean about 3 times a year or more if the gun manfunctions. I am lazy and my guns all run perfectly.

As for lube I use Wilson moly grease and Mobil 1 0w30.
  18. 76Highboy

Thanks Dan.
  19. hansom

hansom Former Guest

Yes i would recommend grease for polymer guns too except the Ruger P95 which does not ride on metal rails, i put grease on my Sigpro too and all my Glocks, just the rails though everywhere else get G96 oil and or Eezoz.

All metal Sigs should get grease, there is a reason why Sig includes a tube of grease in their New Gun boxes.
  20. hansom

hansom Former Guest

Yes i would recommend grease for polymer guns too except the Ruger P95 which does not ride on metal rails, i put grease on my Sigpro too and all my Glocks, just the rails though everywhere else get G96 oil and or Eezoz.

All metal Sigs should get grease, there is a reason why Sig includes a tube of grease in their New Gun boxes.