Syracuse Arms Double Barrel?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Cabin Fever, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever New Member

I have a Syracuse Arms Co. 12 gauge double barrel that I'm trying to determine the grade, age, and value of. I was told that the gun was made ~1895-1898? It has #12854 stamped on the inside where the barrel breaks open. There is also a "0" stamped on the left side above the patent date. I could probably make out the patent date if I could remove the barrels, but I'm not sure how. I can see that it says "Sept", but that's all I can make out without taking the barrels off. It has "Syracuse Arms Company Syracuse NY" stamped on one barrel and "New Twist" on the other.

I would consider it in good condition. No rust, blueing is a bit worn, the stock has the usual dings and very minor scratches. No big flaws at all, just an old gun with character. The forearm has some kind of black "V" shaped design at the first 1 1/2".

I guess that's all the info that I have. Is there any other features that you need to know?

Thanks for any info and insight!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever New Member

Thanks for the info Xracer. I'm still trying to figure out a price though. One site said $300-$500, depending on condition.
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

I'd say that's just about right, or perhaps just a little lower.....maybe $250 to $400, depending on condition.

Syracuse Arms seem to have a been a middle-of-the-road shotgun....better than the "utility" or "hardware store" guns, but not up there with L.C. Smith, Parker, or the other high-end shotguns.

Bear in mind, with it's damascus barrels, this is not a "shooter".....it was made for blackpowder and should not be used with modern smokless powder shotgun shells.
  5. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever New Member

Not a shooter? That's the only small game shotgun my father used up until he passed away last year. He always used regular Remington high brass loads and never had a problem. That guns put a pile of rabbits and squirrels up there in small game heaven. :D