syracuse arms shotgun

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by rockfish, Nov 26, 2012.

1. rockfish

rockfish New Member

i found this old syracuse arms dbl.barrel 12 ga. hammerless. serial #2031 with NEW TWIST stamped on barrel. i have seen some of the post ref. value and know it is limited especially this one - "it's been rode hard & put up wet". i am going to clean it and save but i can't break it down. all my other dbl barrels it i remove the forearm then i can take the barrel off - it doen't work with this one. is there some secret or was it designed not to be separated? just wondering since it is unique i would like to clean it and keep.
    thanks, rockfish
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Something must have been done to the lug system if that barrel does not remove. Syracuse doubles broke down just like all others. New twist was just a fancy term for damascus steel. Your right on the limited values, Ive seen them in decent shape going for 150.00
  3. rockfish

rockfish New Member

helix, thanks for the note. i will play with it to see if something is hanging somewhere. like i said, it is different than anything i have so will just clean it and keep it.
    rockfish
  4. Tom Archer

Tom Archer Member

With an early model Syracuse gun like yours, one has to remove the forearm then pull down hard on the barrels to remove them from the frame. The reason for this is in the design of the cocking mechanism whereby the ends of the cocking rods fit into a milled slot on each side of the barrel lug. Enough pressure on the barrels will push the cocking rods backwards so that they disengage; although you will think you are destroying the gun in the process. And finally, the term "New Twist" is not a fancy name for a Damascus barrel, it is the term for the style of Twist steel barrels the Syracuse Arms Company used on their Grade O and Grade 1 guns (the Grade 1 had a small amount of engraving, the Grade 0 none); the lowest grade SAC gun with genuine Damascus barrels was the Grade 2, and it retailed for $5 more than than the Grade 1 Twist barreled gun.