T/C Hawken Issue

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by RH91, Mar 19, 2011.

1. RH91

RH91 New Member

Hey guys, I pulled this 50 caliber out of a closet recently and found it had a case of rust around the nipple area and in the barrel. I removed the nipple and ran a lubed up patch down the bore till it bottomed out and now the rod is stuck all the down there and refuses to come out. I've put the barrel in a vise and pulled and put the rod in the vise and pulled on the barrel and nothing. Anyone know where to go from here? Thanks
  2. rammed

rammed New Member

About the only thing I can think of is pour some lube down he barrel. If that doesn't work you could unbreech it and drive the ramrod out from the breech end.

Let me guess. You didn't clean it because you shot it with a black powder substitute.

I think Green Mountain makes a replacement barrel a T/C.
  3. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Some times, you can twist the rod to turn the patch around and around, which will break it loose.

I had one, once which just refused to come out. I put a cap on the nipple and fired it. Two times and it came loose.

I've read of removing the nipple and putting a sprinkle of powder in, replacing the nipple and blowing the rod out that way. From what I've heard the word "sprinkle" is key to keeping the rod in your general area for recovery. :D

Pops
  4. rdstrain49

rdstrain49 New Member

yep, pulling the trigger on any load with an obstructed barrel is real high on my list NOT
  5. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Been there done it and it is an easy fix. First if at all possible twist the rodd to unscrew the jag off the end. If that is not an option no problem. Now take the nipple off, pour a few grains of 4F powder in the drum, put nipple back in, find a GOOD place out side that you can point the barrel where there is a GOOOD dirt or wood back stop, put cap on nipple, and fire it off. That will shoot teh jag/ram rod out and the back stop will stop it. When you shopot it do not put it to your cheek but do it from the hip or at arms length. I have done it to rifles, double barrel shotguns, and hand guns of the bP style. I use an old dog house to shoot mine into but I would make sure no dogs any where near though!!!!!! It works and is an acceptable way of getting it out. Another method is teh CO2 un;loaders that you can buy. They come with an adapter that screws in the nipple hole and attache to a CO2 tank. The pressure of the CO2 shoots the load or obstruction out. They can be bought from:
    http://www.dixiegunworks.com
    Http://www.trackofthewolf.com
    http://www.logcabinshop.com
    and Bass pro Shops.
  6. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

If you have access to a vice you can pad the jaws and clamp the ramrod in them and then pull the rifle off of it.
  7. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Oh yeah you should definitely polish your nipples, but don't polish em to long or you'll start to remove the skin. After that you can get your jagoff. :D
  8. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

Depends on what you polish them with.:p
  9. roundball

roundball Member

Generally, stuck patches will come out if something like WD40 is put into the barrel allowing the patch to soak. On the down side, some times the ram rod will come apart-the end will pull off. This problem is probably one of the reason that many shooters have a range rod etc.
  10. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

I dunno about TC but a good ramrod will have the tip pinned as well as glued. It won't come off unless it's broken off.
  11. johnboat

johnboat New Member

well have any of you guys ever tryed compressed air to blow it out ?
    it would be safer than blowing it with powder although if you can see the patch you may be able to pull some of it loose through the nipple hole just be carefull not to burrr the threads of the nipple hole .there are comercially available kits that used to be made for just such a situation where this sorta thing happen s and if i rember they use co2 cartridges like a pellett gun ? might be worth a look , or i am quite certain most gunsmiths could manage ?
  12. rammed

rammed New Member

RH91 doesn't seem to be watching his tread. At least he isn't answering.

My experience with the once a year shooter's that get a patch stuck is they believed the substitute powders didn't have to be cleaned after shooting. If that is the case, after sitting in the closet for 20 years that barrel is toast.
  13. ElvinWarrior

ElvinWarrior New Member

Super-Slippery lubricant... like one with graphite powder in it???

Just my half-penny !!! (I haven't been a member here long enough to work up to a full two (2) cents yet !!!)

:) :) :) :)

Sincerely,

ElvinWarrior... aka... David