T/C identification

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by David Naumann, Jan 21, 2008.

1. David Naumann

David Naumann New Member

I have a T/C muzzleloader with no name on it. LOOKS like a Renegade. .54 cal. octagon barrel, 27" when removed from the stock. Double triggers, right handed percussion sidelock, wooden ramrod, adjustable rear sight with ramp-style front, and hard buttplate. 19360 stamped into barrel on left side, Thompson Center Arms, Rochester, New Hampshire on right with CAL 54. No model name. No sling attachment. Know what it is? I'd rate it in very good condition, and gave the guy $225 for the rifle and an assortment of supplies. A positive ID would be nice, and did I give a fair price? (supplies are mostly junk, but have a nice powder horn and bag of roundballs)
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Probably will need some pictures to make an ID.

Pops
  3. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

Sure sounds like a Renegade to me.

No patchbox in the stock, and no bright brass parts?

Odd that the barrel has the company name and not a model name. Possibly an early factory-made replacement barrel?
  4. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    Oneida Steve has something as to barrel. pictures help 100%, any marking at all on stock and barrrel help, what flats is barrel (any where from 15/16" to 1.25" but should be on 1" flats if Renegade or Hawkin), twist rate of barrel (renegade should be a 1-48 BUT if original owner had another barrel installed it could be 1-48,1-60, or possibly 1-66), type of wood, how barrel is attached to stock, how many places barrel is attached to stock, way nipple and drum are made (if drum is made into barrel or screwed into the side), and anything elesy like brass or iron furniture on stock. Like mentioned before, pictures and lots of them are the biggest help.
  5. anfoman76

anfoman76 New Member

Hey David sounds just like my renegade but mine says renegade but the measurements and description match
  6. RamblinMan

RamblinMan New Member

Many of the early T/C barrels did not have names stamped on them, so T/C could use them interchangeably. For instance your barrel could be mounted on a T/C Hawken 1" channeled stock. Barrels are not used for rifle indentification as they are easily interchanged. If you have a Renegade stock you have Renegade rifle no matter what barrel is on it. Your barrel is very early as witnessed by the low ser. #. The barrels like you have are sometimes called 'pre-warning' because not only did they not have the model of the rifle stamped on them, they also did not have all the 'black powder only' warnings on them. Many people find these stamping to be offensive and ugly. The barrel you have is becoming collectable, like all of T/C's early offerings. I B/P gunsmith and have several collectors that routinely contact me looking for these 'pre warning' barrels...RamblinMan
    Last edited: May 17, 2008
  7. spud

spud New Member

I have one of these early T/C bbls on my very early.45 Hawkens sn#109
    (1972) the model is not marked and it is pre-warning.(not for sale)
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2008