1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Tac-lights and house guns

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by delta13soultaker, Mar 16, 2005.

1. stash247

stash247 New Member

Hey Delta; how far from Spring Lake or Southern Pines is home? You sound like me, 25 years ago.
    All good advice; common sense, and ethics, will always bear the test of time.
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

When we were dismissed at the end of training, we swarmed the DI. There were 20 of us and one of him. We were almost outnumbered. :D

I remembered some of what he tried to teach us when we got a mission. It kept me alive in a pretty dicey situation. Hungarian border guard wanted us to accompany him and we didn't want to.

Pops
  3. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Stash, you talking about over on the other side of post from Fayetteville I guess. (Send me a grid...hee hee.) Funny you mentioned Southern Pines, cause I met my wife at Pinebluff. But naw, I'm pretty far from calling that home for until I don't know when. I got volunteered (yeah DA select) for Drill Sergeant school this summer, so I'm about to be calling GA or SC home for the next 2-3 years it looks like. Oh, the fun...

Armedandsafe, yeah twenty to one sounds about right for them guys. The only time I almost got the honor of serving with them on a "real-world mission" was because somebody (I think somewhere up the line we were under same command, but it was up the line enough to get a bad picture.) presumed they were in a bind. They were on the wrong side of a ground safety zone, or maybe right side since they went there on purpose, for what exactly I'll never know, and from were my unit was it looked like a hell of a mess. It was not a big element and the other guys at that time were allowed to own that buffer area, which they did in large volume.So we got authorized (ordered) to move in there with another element, which you can imagined was half-assed, with the intention of helping them get back on the right side; or maybe wrong side cause remember nobody asked them yet, so I won't say an extraction. Well we got pretty far along, far enough to get a commander possibly fired, and somebody who could actually hear or see what was going on, maybe a GSR team or those types, told us to the effect of "Go away, they got it no sweat, get back in your area of responsibility NOW." and we did. Luckily we were in an area vehicles could operate, not as verticle as other places, cause it would of been one ugly hump in and out for nothing. But those fellows all came out, on their own, when they were ready. Later on that ground safety zone was collapsed (excessive firepower applied swiftly over a narrow area) and we never had to deal with that crap again, but the lesson for me was: the Brit's had people who could cross the worst borders in the world on their own terms and come back, with everybody. Twenty to one ain't fair; bring more I say.
  4. stash247

stash247 New Member

Delta 13: CHILL OUT! I played in your woods a long time ago; look up "Bear " Martin, Joe Martin, Rich Saucedo, or Jack Singlaub for my credentials.
    You're dealing with virgins in a whore's market!
    The most of the world goes along to git along, and only squeals when stung bad; a pro looks at things a bit differently.
    Remember yesterday, when you went where ever you went, and, subconsciously, looked behind every door, and wall? Went to eat, and took the chair facing the enterance, with a wall to your back?
    You, me, and many others wear this curse to the grave, because we did the do, as pros, but all to whom you speak have not walked them roads, nor heard the words.
    Lighten up, and get real. PM me, if you want. Terry
  5. stash247

stash247 New Member

Delta, somehow , I missed your last post, but yes, northeast or southeast, of Bragg, proper.
    Lived on the Hill for several years; JFK Specwar, then.
    These are Christian people, on this board, and not cogniscent of the standards held on the Hill; that being said, let's take this private, if we continue, OK?
  6. delta13soultaker

Eh, hang on. Nothing that dramatic. I'm only here for the beer, man. (See look! I'm steppin' away from the rusty K-bar, bro.) Stay Kool :cool:
  7. Neil

Neil New Member

Well not to bring the topic back to Tac lights in the home or anything like that but I feel that giving up your location with a light is a bad Idea (my .02$) On the other side of the coin I have had a SureFire Tac light shined in my face and let me tell you what all I saw was white. them buggers are blinding like some one else here said. so I'm six or half dozen on this matter, However I would like to see the whites of the eyes of the person I'm about to end before I do so, for fear of it being a family member.
  8. delta13soultaker

Yeah there sure is two sides to a coin.

They will blind the crap outa someone, but only one at a time. Like if their are a pair or more, I guess blind the most dangerous one...lol. The flip side to that intense beam is loss of night vision, so all that about "head on a swivel" gets tricky when you're waving the gun everywhere you look.

Which brings me to the family member thing. I'm not fond of the idea of pointing a weapon at a family member in the middle of the night under stressful circumstances. Even if a person has hundreds of training hours with the weapon system, the thought makes me nervous, let alone if it involves a gun-store cowboy.
  9. tucsonpilot

tucsonpilot New Member

Just picked this up for the nightstand.

Attached Files:

10. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Well, I, for one, love TacLites......they make great aiming points!

Remember, in your darkened home, you have the advantage. You know where everything is.....the layout of the rooms, the doorways, the furniture, how many steps on the stairs......

If you have the proper weapon, the ability to use it, and patience......in your home, the dark is your friend.
  11. Popeye

Popeye New Member

I just read this entire thread. Finally the last posting (the one before this one) made sense. My house, my stomping grounds. I know the layout, the BG doesn't. He needs a light, I don't.

In my opinion Tac-Lights for civilians are an evil plot to seperate you from your money. They are neat and cool and unnecessary.
  12. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

I have a "tac-light" at home. A Surefire Nitrolon. It's a handy little flashlight and I like it a lot. I use it all the time and have to fight the kids to make sure they don't run the batteries out.

If someone were to break into my house, however, I'd leave the flashlight where it was and gather the family into my bedroom. I'd use a cellphone to call the cops and warn anyone in the house (in a rather loud voice) that I've called the police, I'm armed and to leave immediately. Anybody that steps through the bedroom door that doesn't satisfy me that they're the police gets the contents of my gun and my wife's gun. Simultaneously. (Heck, the 17 year old might even unload on the sucker, as well!)

Yes, I know the house better. But I'm not playing tag in my house with a predator.