Tacky Blond Stock

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Terry G, May 21, 2004.

1. Terry G

Terry G Member

I bought a Yugoslavian SKS in excellent condition, metal dark and shiny, bore clean and bright, and a almost perfect blond stock. For protection, I put a coat of Boiled Linseed Oil on it and it turned the wood into a sticky texture that wouldn't come off with alcohol. Before I take mineral spirits to it, I thought I would seek some help. Could this stock have been shellaced or otherwise coated with a protective shield I shouldn't mess with? Like I said this one's a beauty and I'd hate to mess it up. Thank You.

Attached Files:

• yugo.jpg
      yugo.jpg
      File size:
      99.2 KB
      Views:
  2. merc

merc New Member

Hi Terry
    Try letting is sit for 24 hours then wipe it with a dry cloth.
    It sounds as if the stock had a varnish on it, which the oil attacked.
    It sounds like you may have to use some alcohol to clean it with.
    good luck..
    and please let us know how you make out and what worked so we can all learn.
  3. Terry G

Terry G Member

Well, alcohol won't remove it, I guess I'll try mineral spirits.
  4. merc

merc New Member

Well I would think mineral spirits would cut the goo.
    Just don't leave it on too long.
    It might start on the finish.
    I would think that after you get it all cleaned up you should clean it good with water to kill the effect of the solvent then apply your linseed oil again.
    Keep me informed of what works.
  5. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

The Yugoslavian M59/66 had no real finish to begin with... at least, none that I've ever been able to detect. Definitely not shellac or any of the more durable finishes. If anything, it may have had a light oil finish.

I'm betting that the reason your BLO finish didn't work too well is because the wood is still full of cosmoline and can't soak up any BLO. So it just lays on the surface until it cures, which can take a while and it will be sticky in the meantime.

What did you do to clean the cosmoline out of the wood before you tried this?