tactical flashlight question

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by sydsdaddy, Feb 9, 2009.

1. sydsdaddy

sydsdaddy New Member

Hi all I am in the market for a tactical flashlight to keep in my nightstand with my gun. I was wondering what recommendations you guys may have. I am not going to spend $300.00 on a flashlight, so lets keep it in the realm of reality. Im just wanting some opinions on a what type you may use and why you would recommend it. Thanks in advance.
  2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

For a nightstand light, the DeLight works exceptionally well. It's brighter than most of the "tactical lights".
    It can be found on my web site.
  3. GojuBrian

GojuBrian Former Guest

You can find a good flashlight that won't break your budget at most outdoor outlets or retail stores. They just don't have the word 'tactical' attached to them, but they woork fine.
  4. 21bravo

21bravo New Member

i have a Surefire G2 LED flashlight that i keep in the bed side table with my xd. i paid roughly 70 dollars for it. it is the best "tactical" size flashlight ive ever owned. its extremely bright and you can also see much farther than with regular l.e.d. flashlights. (i like the 3 d-cell maglite pretty good for a bigger light) i wont every own any small size flashlight that isnt a Surefire. i debated on spending that much on a flashlight for a long time while a vol. firefighter friend of mine kept swearing by his. he owns 3 different Surefire's and has another on the way from the factory. if that tells ya how much he loves them.

hope to have helped
  5. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Go with a LED, not a bulb.
    I will next time.
    I had to replace the bulb on my Surefire Z2.
  6. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I say go with a Surefire.

I have four and used them a great deal. They have been dropped, stood on, crushed, got wet, had weird chemicals get on them, been in the heat of 40 plus and the cold of -10, they just keep going. And you dont need to spend $300.00!
  7. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

can't go wrong with a surefire, top quality and handy. but if you want to hold down the price abit there is nothing wrong going "old school" get a maglite.
  8. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Buy a Mag Lite, LED, 2 D cells. It is very bright, and can also be used as a striking weapon if need be. Around $35.
  9. thakidc

thakidc New Member

I got a flashlight from walmart for 20 bucks made by coleman, 115 lumens for 2hrs, max distance 65m, uses two CR2 batteries. one piece aluminum body, 1in tube. Only downside non-focusable beam and non replaceable bulbs. Plan on mounting it to my Sub2000 seems well built, very very bright!
  10. johnc

johnc New Member

The new LeatherMan flashlight is great, and the price is right. It is small but puts out alot of light. About $24 at COSCO.
  11. Bill DeShivs

None of these recommendations is as bright as the DeLight. It's not a tactical light-just an extremely bright LED light with focusable beam that uses commonly available AAA batteries. Cost is $43.00. Almost everyone who has bought one was so amazed that they bought more immediately.
    Surefires are good, expensive lights.
  12. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Wellllllllllllllllll....these lights again.

You can get a Surefire G2 for $40 from places like Patriot. As Bill mentioned above however on the AAA batteries, your Surefires need 123A lithium batteries. (Never buy a Surefire that isn't included with batteries...)

The $300 light thing...that's either really high end Surefire or Phoebus lights. Most people absolutely don't need lights like those. A great Surefire costs $70 at most and will outlast the owner unless you're doing room entry training every night for several months (I have worn the switches out on some Surefires...both the remotes and bodies too, but it took 6+ months.)

A friend of mine a year+ ago pulled out this little rubber coated cool-guy LED light...was bright as hell. Easily as bright as a good Surefire. I asked what it was and where from. Wal-mart $15-ish. I found one by the fishing gear, bought some AAA, put it together in the car...damn thing didn't work. I found it the other day under a seat in the car while vacuuming. Still junk. You usually get what you pay for.
  13. JakeArnold

JakeArnold New Member

Hey Sydsdaddy,
    I found a tactical LED flashlight I like much better than the the Surefire or anything else. It's a bad-a## light with a powerful zoom feature that shoots the light about a quarter mile. You can get it at LEDinsiderhttp://www.LEDinsider.com for only $49. It's called the Zoom-Lite and it is very light and compact (4 inches).

The Zoom is an amazing feature - it gives you a very wide bright flood light or when it zooms, it gives you an AMAZINGLY BRIGHT focused light that penetrates through smoke and fog. It’s even waterproof.

The Zoom-Lite is great for military or tactical or police or fire, or just for safety and self-defense for anyone.

Good luck. Jake
  14. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Even the sun cannot make light bright enough to "penetrate" smoke and fog. This is a catch 22; The brighter the light, the worse it works in such conditions.
  15. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I got the Surefire Executive Elite and have been real happy with it.
  16. Bill DeShivs

JakeArnold
    The light you mentioned is the same as my DeLight.
    Mine doesn't come with a fancy box, but it's only $43.00, shipped.
  17. Rockchucker

Rockchucker New Member

Shelf life on Surefire 123 batteries is10 years or longer. I own two, one on the night stand and one for every day use. Haven't upgraded up to the led lens yet but may try to later.
  18. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

While the old Police saying is true, 'the longer you are on the force the smaller your flashlight gets' Its also true the good four cell Maglites can make a great club.
  19. Freeman

Freeman New Member

I'm having a shotgun built and adding a Surefire LED light ($270 ouch!) but from what I understand most people say Surefire is the way to go because most lights just can't survive the recoil of the 12 Ga. Any opinions?