Tactical Glock 17 shooting questions

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by darkwolf210, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Boris

Boris Former Guest

2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i've seen them before boris. been considering it but i really want leather to match my galco holster. i might end up trying to make my own.
  3. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

312 - We're neighbors! I live close enough to the Hard Rock to hear the parties on week-ends. Strangely enough, it's pretty quiet here, otherwise, but there are usually at least 2 Metro units on this block ALL the time.
    As for needing a light on the gun, there is always enough ambient light here at night to forgo that need. No-one belongs in MY apartment but me, so that precludes the problem of ID.
    This point and shoot technique that was mentioned is called (strangely enough) point shooting, and to some extent, it's true that an experienced shooter is good enough at home invasion distances.
    In my experiences where I have actually needed to use a gun to protect myself, it has always been in the outdoors, in daylight, and usually at some distance. You never can predict when you'll need to defend yourself, and that's why I say it's hard to know.
    As for betraying your position with the sound of a racking shotgun: SO WHAT?????????? You have a giant gun, and now the intruder fully knows that. The next move is his either way, and he can only let you know if you need to fire or not. My suggestion was to have audio devices that make that sound. Bad guyz are very put off by things that make them wet themselves. Yes, I have caused "bad" guyz to wet themselves, but that was a live fire exercise.
    As for blinding myself with muzzle flash.... MAKE SENSE!!!!! I shoot often enough at dusk and early darkness to know exactly how much flash my 17 and 19 produce. If the load is that flashy, you need to change the load you use. It appears that some of the folks here who have so much advice to offer are not all that familiar with their own guns. A shotgun produces ZERO flash.
    I do what I suggest anyone who is serious about defensive firearms should do. I shoot a lot. I try hard to keep a low profile. If you don't want to get picked by the bad guy, don't raise your hand. If you get picked anyway, make absolutely certain that you have "shock and awe" close at hand.
    There's an attitude one does well to attain, and I don't know how to explain how one goes about this. I mean, I don't know how I did it. In "bad" situations, you just have to move into a mindset where you're only thinking about what needs to be done in chronological order. No emotion. Here and now. If you do that, I do this, while I try to solve this problem. It's like fighting a fire onboard a ship.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  4. Boris

Boris Former Guest

They also have ZERO recoil......
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  5. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

OK Boris. Pick fights if you want to. I've never seen flash from my 870 Express, even with 3" Magnums.
    My Glocks do have a little bit of flash, but that's with my Blue Dot hand loads. Even at max, the flash is not bright, but Blue Dot drives a 124 gr. JHP as fast as it can go. If one expects to shoot a 9mm in dark or near dark, I would suggest the Speer short barrel loads, which use something with a burn rate closer to Unique or AA5. My 115 gr. JHP loads using HS-6 don't flash. It is an important part of load selection to know whether or not you get flash, and how much.
    There is a rule in gun fights and on internet forums, Boris: Don't pick fights with people who know what they're doing.
  6. Boris

Boris Former Guest

double......................
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  7. Boris

Boris Former Guest

I like your spunk. The internet is not where I do my fighting. No fights from me here. This 'people' on the other end of your computer knows what they have done. Currently I only shoot at the range to relax, keep a house gun and carry when I leave home. Doubt I will ever need to apply my skills I got from on the job training in real life.

I think I just peed my pants, now you can claim to have made someone pee on the web in a 'gun fight'

p.s. Are you that 42A I ran into at JBB that told me his unit was issued M4s in 6.8 because they see so much action they were chose to field test them? Now that guy knew EVERYTHING about guns and fighting with them, he even told me........
  8. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

9. fcs25

fcs25 New Member

Remember that a light on your weapon also shows the bad guy exactly where you are and gives him a target to aim at.....the light,which means you are an easier target to hit...hit the light...hit you.
  10. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Remember that firing three, five, ten rounds off into the dark and not hitting a single vital area, or missing with every round fired will also give your position away. You still wont even know what you are shooting at too. Sounds like a plan to me..
  11. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

If your light shows where you are, you got a crappy light. A bright light is temporarily blinding. It gives away about a 45 degree angle that the bad guy knows you are somewhere inside. It's not a target; it's an area.
    It only lasts a couple seconds, yes, but if you can't neutralize a recognized threat that you're already pointing a weapon on in less than a couple seconds, you may need to choose a different weapon.

Too many people use Maglights, etc. as though they were tactical lights. Even the lower end Surefire lights aren't bright enough (in my opinion). I always opt for 100 lumens or more.

But I don't use weapon-mounted lights. I like handheld lights.
  12. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Me too. Right now I use a 6P with a 120 lumen lamp in it or a LED with 85 lumens. I had a bump in the night a couple months ago and the 120 lumen light made me squint when I did use it. 85 lumens seems to be pretty darn bright but I do want to get a brighter LED handheld. Now that I know what the 120 is like. I want a 110is lumen LED. Maybe for xmas........
  13. CampingJosh

One thing worth noting:

If your house is painted in dark colors, your light will be bright to the person/people it is being shined on without being bright to the person holding it. I have one hallway that is a bright white, and if I use anything brighter than a Maglite in there, I can't see much. Too much light shining back.

Rest of the house, though, is mostly blue, green, yellow (changing every day; the wife is still painting stuff).
  14. Boris

Boris Former Guest

Duly noted my man!!

edit: I went through it a few nights later and found shining the cieling did not seem as bright to me, but have no clue what it does on the other end. Maybe I can have the wife shine it at the cieling while I stand and see how much it blinds doing that.......
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  15. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

Good response, Boris, for what one can expect. I was Navy, so never dealt with any rifle but the M-14. That's what we should be "testing" in Afghanistan.
    I don't know why you have to say some of the things you do, but that's on you.
    Something that makes it hard for everyone here to be on the same page is that we all consider only our own circumstances and experience. For those of us who are able to escape to wide open spaces, I think it's a good idea to practice point shooting. A good drill is to have a friend stand behind you, and toss a rock at a random place, about 10 yards from you. How fast can you determine where it hit, and land a shot very near that place?
    What's the deal with strobing gun lights? Does it cause the bad guy to take longer to adjust/regain his vision?
  16. CampingJosh

I have no idea who came up with them, but I don't want one. Even when I'm standing on the back side of a strobe light, they disorient me a bit. I want to disorient the bad guy, not myself. :eek::D