1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Tactical/self-defense information

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by delta13soultaker, Dec 28, 2006.

?

Where do you go for further knowledge about self-defense?

Poll closed Mar 28, 2007.
  1. Hard cover books

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. Magazines/publications

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Internet

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  4. DVD/TV

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  1. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

I'm interested to know about where most people prefer to get their outside info on self-defense tactics, protection measures, street survival, evolving threat trends etc etc.

Where do you look for more information? (This includes for serious study or even just to further your knowledge about general interest in self-defense.)

I'd be interested to hear what information you may like to see that hasn't been put together on the subject yet also.

All comments welcome. Happy holidays!
  2. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

Well, the poll options were limited. I primarily use IDPA matches and BBS regarding shooting sports. NRA is also a good resource for information.

Many of my IDPA buds keep up on these issues and keep us current. Some of these guys are retired military or LEO's and have sources not available to civilians.

My gun club is a valuable resourse.

Being involved in shooting sports, I am solicited for training and/or volunteering to assist with training. Sometimes as a victim.

In my neck of the woods, we have a civilian program called CERT - Citizens Emergency Response Team. My employer is vested heavily in the program. I assist with this occasionally. This has also opened doors for me for specialized training in response management to terrorism incidents and similar courses.

My position allows me to open some of our facilities to LEO's for special training such as canine or simunitions training. I of course need to be there and get to hob-nob with these teams.
  3. delta13soultaker

Yeah the poll is a bit limited...but I was mainly asking about "outside" info, as in outside your circle.

A lot of what you described is hands-on learning, which I group in to inside....etc etc

You brought up some good sources for the best way to learn though; doing.
  4. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

Buy and read any number of Gabe Suarez books on tactics, mind set, and pistol skills. Good stuff.

Pat Hurley
  5. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I don't go to outside sources I just go to the range and teach myself new tricks
  6. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat Active Member

In addition to the "inside" sources you mentioned, do we also lump training? Uncle did a pretty good job, and there are also places like Gunsite and TR that offer classes.

I do a good bit of reading - magazines and hard covers. Mas Ayoob and several of the other LE guys have great insight. Clint Smith and Rick Miller discuss good drills and tactics in their articles.
  7. delta13soultaker

Yeah, I lump in training as inside learning. Speaking just for myself, I entered into self-defense through competition shooting as a teenager where I interacted with LE people, ex-mil, and survival minded citizens. By the time I started a career in the military I thought I was pretty well experienced. About ten years later though, after having participated in various schools and training experiences with LE and militaries from all over the world (I've trained everything from SWAT/IRF teams to civilian volunteers to my own assigned peeps...and always learned as much as those I was there to work with.), and having been through the real school of hard knocks a few times, I realized more and more that there is always another away, another approach, another principal, and another series of facts I never weighed into my own beliefs. I take that seriously because at the end of the day I'm paid to be an expert on securing peace through victory in battle and I'm required to be a master trainer to those my government says must be trained.

So I developed a thirst for knowledge, both for my current career, as an armed citizen, and for one day when I enter LE or Homeland Security. And where I look is what I call "outside" sources. A good short list off the top of my head would be Ayoob, Clint Smith, Sheriff Wilson, and the late Jeff Cooper.

Hope I didn't over explain. Thanks for comments and opinions.
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2006
  8. IShootBack

Using your definition of "circle", it seems anyplace i get information is within "My Circle".

There are only two ways to learn anything: By doing or by observing. The latter includes reading, watching videos..., hearing.
  9. delta13soultaker

I think "my circle" is Alltel...lol

I listed types of media in the poll, but somehow got onto everything else. So I'll just sat what Media Sources are prefered?
  10. IShootBack

10-4

I will add this thread to "My Circle" of education LOL...:D
  11. stash247

stash247 New Member

Outside of my 'circle', was the United States Army, 5 SFG, 1 SF, a lot of years ago, and some of those codgers, who taught, coached, and preceded me, are still alive!
    One reason the "Old Guys" remain alive, in this world, so much stronger, quicker, fitter, than they, is situational awareness; a second, foresight, and the third, pure cussed meanness!
    One of the old ones recently died. At his funeral, my words were few. "He taught me to ask myself, and answer, one simple question. What is the least probable, but 'worst result' thing this feller, group, or unit, can do to you?"
    And, taught me how to analyse, and prepare, always, for the worst possible situation.
    Have a few beers with the guys, at the VFW, the Legion Hall, or the 'Cop Bar', in your AO, and ask them!
    They have, or do, face more challenges, of widely different order, than most of us will face, in a lifetime; But we are then making the most of three or four generations of experience!
    Respond as you feel; It is an interesting topic, but Re-read, before you respond, the second, third, fourth paragraphs.
    Preparation is all!