Tactical Solutions AR-22LT upper

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by LDBennett, Jan 14, 2012.

1. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I picked up a new Tactical Solutions AR-22LT upper yesterday.

I looked it over in detail and it is very well made. It is a bit pricey but from a fit & finish standpoint I think I got what I paid for. It fits my lower perfectly. I have Black Dog magazines for my Sig 522 and they all fit perfectly. It came with one Black Dog 10 rounder that is easily converted to a 15 rounder as is all of the black Dog 10 round magazines.

Next week I'll slip out to the range, weather permitting, to see if it has acceptable (to me) accuracy. While I only put a red dot on it, for my purposes I think I can evaluate it adequately. Can't wait!

LDBennett
  2. LDBennett

Frustration!!!!

Loaded up all my stuff including the AR with the Tac Sol upper and headed to the range with just one task in mind: zero the ATN red dot to the Tac Sol upper. I had bore sighted it inside my house at 50 feet and all seemed to be well.

I set up the targets and turned on the ATN red dot and nothing. No dot! This POS had been on another gun years back and I forgot that if you tightened the battery lid it turns off. So I took it off the gun (you only have access to the battery compartment with the sight off the gun... STUPID!), fooled around with it until the led came on but the intensity was so low I could not see it on the the target. So I loaded up to go home after not shooting one round out of the Tac Sol. I figured while I was out I would try to buy a new red dot on the way home and shoot the next day.

I went to the closest little gun shop and they had moved. So I went to the new location and he did not stock any red dots at all but he could order a $250 one for me (NO THANKS!). He moved from a store front to a industrial complex in an out of the way area. I wish him luck with that location! So I headed out for the next little gun store.... Closed! Because Monday was their regular day off and it was a holiday they closed on Tuesday too....... that's got to be good for sales. We only have a few little gun stores in our area and I do most of my gun related shopping on the internet. You can probably see why from this post.

I gave up the hunt for the red dot, went home, and ordered it on-line. So now I'm in a waiting game for the new red dot. My enthusiasm is waning. DARN!

LDBennett
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

sorry to hear

i was looking forward to how that was all going to go .. to be able to run .22LR through a standard AR is a great idea
  4. LDBennett

jack404:

If you did not know there are two different kinds of 22 conversions for AR's. One, like the Tac Sol, is a complete upper. You use the AR lower and the complete new 22LR upper.

The second kind fits into your upper. There is a short chamber/barrel that fits inside your AR upper and a part of your barrel is used by the conversion. It has its own recoil spring and operates inside the AR upper as a typical blowback operated 22LR semi-auto gun.

This latter conversion has a few problems. I am told the bore diameter for the 223 is not the same as that required by the 22LR bullet (too loose but just barely adequate). And you can not shoot too many 22LR bullets down the barrel without filling up the gas port with lead stripped off the 22LR bullets as they travel down the barrel. So that means when you move back to 223 operations you have to be sure to clean the gas port hole in the barrel.

I think the separate upper a better choice and there are several out there including one sold by COLT. I bought the Tac Sol because they have a history of accuracy in their barrels for other guns. I am more interested in accurate target shooting then playing tactical games so I got the Tac Sol version more suited to that end.

LDBennett
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

the starforce folks ( police like your SWAT ) has some that adapted like the m16 training inserts we had when i was in the army and where a hassle ( like the one the army had) , but a entire upper mounted to the regular lower has a heap of advantages in my mind ( but seeing i'm here i only get to read about em )

so look forward to you getting yours up to see if my guess is like yours..

good luck eh
  6. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

I'm also looking forward to hearing how it works for you. I have a lot of interest in the 22 AR craze, but have been having a hard time deciding between a dedicated upper or getting a pre-assembled rifle like the Smith & Wesson.

My friend had the regular M&P 22 when they first came out and I really enjoyed shooting it... pretty good accuracy and SUPER light weight compared to my 10/22. He has since sold that one to get the Performance Center version. It feels great, but I have not had the chance to try that one out yet.

Any idea what your overall weight of the firearm is with the TacSol upper on it?
  7. LDBennett

pkcgbifaid:

It is pretty light, actually. The upper I got is their "LITE" version with an aluminum shroud around a steel barrel liner. It is a flat top, too. Without the red dot sight (a few ounces) but with the 10/15 round Black Dog magazine it weighs in at 6 pounds exactly. It has a nice light feel and seems very handy.

I got the LITE version because I did not want the tactical version with the front sight and handle. I think the flat tops look better anyway. My interest is target shooting not tactical practice. As I understand it, the tactical version has a all steel barrel which could add a pound or two (??).

I like the looks, the fit and finish, and the Tac Sol reputation for accuracy. I just hope it works trouble free.

I also have a Feather Rav-22LRHA that I bought for its looks. I have all the accessories, too. It is well made, has good fit and finish, only a fair trigger but it can be a bit touchy with ammo it does not like and jams even with its favorite ammo on occasion. It is hard to clear and the mags are hard to load. It will not shoot bulk ammo reliably (only likes CCI Mini-Mags). I am hoping I'll not run into these kinds of problems with the Tac Sol upper. It is much simpler so I don't expect any problems. And my lower has a very good two stage trigger to boot.

I also have a SIG 522 that uses the same Black Dog magazines as the Tac Sol upper, has a good but long pull trigger, shoots FED bulk ammo great, rarely if ever jams, and is very accurate. I had to do a little mod to the recoil spring guide (thanks to a person who reports here I only had to install the parts he made and gave to me). That is one nice gun! I hope the Tac Sol upper comes close to matching it.

I really have too many 22's but I have an affinity for 22LR guns and consequently have many. I also have many centerfire guns too. I am the classic gun nut, I guess.

LDBennett
  8. DDriller

DDriller New Member

I just got the Tacsol SB-X mounted on a Cav lower. Total package is around 4 pounds. Looks funny with the shroud fixed on the 12.5" barrel but will look great when my suppressor comes in. Need to get out and shoot it this week.
  9. LDBennett

The bad trip to the range earlier in the week was offset by one today. The earlier trip ended when the red dot quit before the first shot. I threw on an old Tasco red dot just to see how reliable the Tac Sol upper really is. Here is what I found today:

The Tasco sat so low on the upper that I could barely see the dot. A riser is in order and in fact one is coming as we speak from Brownells (just ordered it minutes ago). I suffered through the shooting session but got it done for now.

I shot the recommended Federal Bulk (#745) ammo in it. I shot a 45 round group at 50 feet with the gun supported. 36 shots were in a one inch hole and 9 were within 1/4 inch of the edge of the hole. I had 100% feeding, extraction and ejection.

I shot some CCI Mini-Mags ammo in it. I shot a 45 round group at 50 feet with the gun supported. 42 shots were in a one inch hole and 2 were within 1/4 inch of the edge of the hole and I had one flyer that was probably me. I had two empties that did not clear the gun, screwing up the next round to try to feed. But there was more (see below).

I shot five CCI Std Vel to see if the gun would cycle and it did.

The Federal empties looked absolutely normal with very nicely pronounced firing pin marks. The CCI empties were strange (both Mini-Mags and SV). The base was bulged to a semi dome shape. They started out flat. Anyway that is not the recommended ammo (Federal Bulk is) and that is what I intend to shoot in it from now on. As with my Sig 522 this rifle will be shot with the grandkids and its minute of beer can or shotgun hull is more than adequate for me. With a real scope (not a red dot) this gun will shoot much better even with the Federal Bulk ammo, I am pretty sure. But it will get the UltraDot that is on its way. More testing is in the cards.

LDBennett

Attached Files:

• 22.jpg
      22.jpg
      File size:
      179.4 KB
      Views:
  10. LDBennett

I cleaned the Tac Sol AR-22 LT yesterday and was totally surprised at the uniqueness of the internals (bolt carrier, bolt, buffer system). It is different than any I have seen before and is extremely well machined and made. I'm impressed but it was a bit expensive and I think I should have expected it to be good.

Todays guns are often a disappointment in their use of plastics, pot metal, and process that give parts that are no match for parts made for guns of old. This Tac Sol AR-22 LT breaks the new designed gun mold, in my opinion. I am very happy with this conversion unit and especially in its reliability with Federal bulk ammo, not to dismiss its good accuracy.

The CCI case bulging I believe to not be a problem but caused by the combination of the soft CCI cases and the recoil spring strength that allows the use of Standard Velocity ammo. I measured the head space in the bolt face and it is within specs. I intend to only shoot Federal bulk ammo, which showed no such case bulging. So all is good by me!

LDBennett
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012