Tactical Vest

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by 45nut, Jul 12, 2009.

1. 45nut

45nut New Member

I finally got one :D and have 2 single magazine pouches for .223 and one that hold 4 .223 mags. It also had i small pouch and 2 canteen / utility pouches.

Question: What do you have on your tactical vest? I know I want a holster for my pistol, knife and flashlight. What else guys?? I need suggestions. :)
  2. FTK87

FTK87 New Member

I wish I could help you, but the closest thing to a tactical vest I have is my dove hunting vest lol.

I've never really been into vests, I think I would perfer a good set of web gear. But it could be nice if it had some larger pockets to stash some bigger gear, oh and magazine pouches for the pistol of course.
  3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I had a couple, one I bought back from the mid east that was military only, I mean bulky and big with room for cake. I sold it. I still have an American one with lots of pockets, If I can find it I may post a picture. Thing is unless your going to war, they have very limited use. Where and when would you use it?
  4. 45nut

45nut New Member

Tranter,

This is a military style web vest. It has nylon webbing and horizontal nylon "belts" to attach pouches in different arrangements.

This link is the vest I have. here

I have it so I can keep a SHTF amount of ammo with my rifle.
  5. Doc1911

Doc1911 New Member

6. 45nut

45nut New Member

I have a large Bass Pro First Aid Kit in my truck, but the camel bak is a good idea. :D It might not hurt to get a kit for my vest too. Maybe one like this
  7. islenos

islenos New Member

otis rifle cleaning kit with a broken shell extractor
    compass and map of area
    pencil, paper, mirror, whistle, first aid, knife, etc
    packed all neatly in a butt pack
  8. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I once had one of your American butt packs. It was one with a handgun holster behind the Velcro held front pocket. I was wearing it when arriving at an airport. Once my wife had finished laughing, which took a surprising amount of time and almost required the attention of a paramedic, she told me to remove it and never wear it again. She explained it was not 'me', apparently.
  9. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Don't waste your money on that. Band aides? For real?

A 1st aid kit needs a tourniquet, preferably a CAT style for disposable, or better yet get SOFTT's. Bleeding is your #1 threat to your life.

You need a pair of Isreali dressings, also called Isreali trauma dressings. Old US Army field dressings are okay but not great.

You need a couple or four cravats for splinting.

You need a 16GA trauma IV needle for chest decompression. Not that valve BS in movies. You just poke above the 3rd rib until you here a hiss, advance the catheter and toss the needle. (This is the #2 killer on the battlefield, tension pneumothorax, or trapped air collapsing the uninjured lung.)

You need duct tape. Medical tape is okay for little stuff. Duct tape will hold on a sloppy bloody limb though. Not 100mph tape; that stuff on the market is crap. I mean Ace Hardware duct tape.

I'd tell you to keep a nasopharyngeal airway in there too but these are hard to self-administer.

BTW...get training. A 1st aid kit is only as good as the dude giving aid.

On the vest.....less is more. Keep your sidearm on your body and water on your back. 300 rounds for the rifle. Don't forget a pouch for licky chewies and tobacco treats.
  10. What the heck, Delta, we'll just get you an Alice Pack. Nothing like lugging one of those around in hot weather. :D;):p

[​IMG]
  11. islenos

islenos New Member

suddenly my back is experiencing a long ago pain from the frame of miss Alice.
  12. Yup! The manufacturer guarantees you will feel pains in places you didn't even know you had! :D
  13. 45nut

45nut New Member

Delta,

THIS is the type information I'm looking for. Thanks a bunch.

4 cravats
    Isreali trauma dressings
    CAT
    16ga Trauma IV needle
    Real Duct Tape

I have 300 rounds, flashlight (headlamp & hand held), binoculars and 2 pouches for licky chewies & smokes.

Let me know if you are going to make a run through Texas. I'd love to buy you a round!

Hey Pistol,

I have an ALICE pack and two web belts w/ fanny pack & shoulder harness. One is my Survival / Field kit and the other is empty awaiting orders. :D
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  14. USMC-03

USMC-03 New Member

Peoples Republic of the Pacific Northwest
    I have no old tac vest put away in my box if vintage military gear. I'm not sure exactly what it is but seems to be a forerunner to the current U.S. military issue. It's OD green with four M16 mag pouches on the chest (2 mags each) and a SAW ammo sized pouch over each hip. I'll post a picture when I can dig it out of storage.

For the most part, I've never been a fan of tactical vests. For general field use I've reverted back to my roots and for my last few years in the reserve I used some old H-suspenders on a cartridge belt with mag pouches, butt pack, 2 canteens, a SAW ammo pouch on my off side for binos and other gear, knife on the off shoulder, mini-mag light, cleaning kit and first aid kit on the butt pack, and then a couple of other small pouches also (compass, Leatherman, etc.). The H-harness is much better for wearing with a ballistic vest and doesn't retain body heat like a vest in hot weather.

For a SHTF/bail out kit I much prefer a smallish patrol pack with most items either attached or inside. I clip my basic pistol/cartridge belt around it and then everything is right there to grab and go…
  15. Powderhorn

Powderhorn New Member

Who needs a vest? Only SISSIES use vests!

[​IMG]
  16. islenos

islenos New Member

17. LurpyGeek

LurpyGeek New Member

I have a cheap Condor brand tactical vest in ACU digital that I use occasionally out in Utah's West Desert. It has three rifle magazine pouches on the chest (two mags each) with a leg rig with two more double mag pouches for a total of ten 30 round mags = 300 rounds. Plus six magazine pouches on chest and belt, a pistol holster on the abdomen, several other pouches and pockets and MOLLE webbing on the sides and back for the addition of other items like a hydration pack.

The pouches and holsters can all be removed / reconfigured to preference as well. Knee pads help as well.

It's a lot to carry and I've only done it all a few times. Usually I just use the leg rig mag pouch since I have my truck bed as a work bench.

I know a lot of people who consider tactical vests overkill / too hot and prefer using chest rigs.
  18. Kieran McCaig

Kieran McCaig New Member

hey 45nut check out www.lebaron.ca they be a canadian company they have a 15 pocket tact vest that will hold a camelbak and lots of everything got one myself all adjustable and 2 snap closure on front
  19. bizy

bizy New Member

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/BJR825-1.html
    has vests that have a right or left hand pistol holster and pouches for 6 AK or 223 mags. I use to sell the vests on Ebay. These vests are very well made. Shoulder holsters, army training manuals, ammo and much more.
  20. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Pistol, notice my ALICE ruck beside my MOLLE II ruck.

Yes this is going somewhere....

Notice my ALICE is packed and used. In fact, I think that rucksack, not that frame but the sack, was on my back for a 4-day 100 mile walk back in '98 or '99.

Notice the MOLLE is still in the wrapper. Better believe I plan to give it back just like that too. Cause if I put 90 lbs in it it'll break...:D:D:D

I like the First Defense assault pack or an ALICE. But I'm hard headed.

Attached Files: