Taking a second look at Pistol Reloading

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by CJ7365, Aug 28, 2009.

1. CJ7365

CJ7365 New Member

I started reloading back in March, for my S&W M&P15 .223/5.56, I started for the fun of it along with saving a few bucks. Because I have the reloading equipment now, I figure I would go ahead and start reloading 40 S&W.

Using the on line cost calculator http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

It cost me about 18 cents a round for .223, which over time will be cost effective.

Well, I plugged the numbers in for 40 S&W and it came out to 33 cents a round:eek:

I just bought a 50 round box 180g of Federal at Wal Mart for $13.57 thats about 28 cents a round.

Has pistol bullets always been twice the price of rifle bullets????
  2. Lotsdragon

Lotsdragon New Member

Wow .33? that seems awfully high. According to that calc. it costs me .105 cents a round for .357 mags.......
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I think you plugged in wrong numbers.

Primers ought to be 3 or 4 cents. Bullets around a dime, unless you are using "super killer-diller bullets", and they might go 15 cents. Powder for a 40 should be less than a penny. That's 15 cents. Are you figuring in the cost of the cases? If so, did you do that for the 223s?

Basically, the primer cost is the same, the bullet cost is very close and the powder cost for the pistol should be about a third as much. I don't see how you can end up with a round costing twice as much.
  4. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I have been at $8.50 per 50 for the last year, using Clays and Rainier plated bullets............ something is off in your calcs. I'm certain that from the other posts, you'll find your ooppps and be reloading your own .40's too !!
  5. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

There are many inexpensive ammos on the market place from who knows where. Most use un-reloadable berdan primed cases, made of anything but brass. Some work fine and some DON"T. If all you want is for your gun to go bang, they work fine. But if you are after making custom ammo that is as accurate as your gun then reloaded ammo has the ability to do that. Reloading gives you control over the product.

When figuring the costs remember that the case is reusable. It is not unheard of to get more than 20 reloads out of a case and maybe more if you don't load them hot. I have brass I still reload today that was bought new in 1987 (the headstamp validates that!). That's 20+ years and still going strong. I rarely have to throw out pistol cases because they are worn out.

Unless you are buying really bad ammo there is no way you can beat the cost of reloading, assuming you are using "normal" bullets and not "super killer-diller bullets".

LDBennett
  6. CJ7365

CJ7365 New Member

I did take a second look at my numbers and got some prices from Grafs, not figuring in hazmat fee and buying the cheapest FMJ "Amscor" I did get my price down to about .26 cent a round.

I guess I could go down more by buying my supplies locally, when they get them, and combining my purchases with other caliber supplies.

Thanks for all the input
  7. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Would you mind posting your numbers?

55 grain ??-brand 223 @ ?? per + ?? primer @ ?? per + ?? grains ?? powder @ ?? per pound = 18 cents a round.

180 grain ??-brand 401 bullet @ ?? per + ?? primer @ ?? per + ?? grains ?? powder @ ?? per pound = 33 cents a round

I just went to grafs and was SHOCKED to find that cheap-ass Armscor bullets were 14 cents. WOW :eek: