talk about going to the hogs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wv hillbilly, Oct 2, 2012.

1. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

Man eaten by hogs at Oregon farm

Posted: Oct 01, 2012 5:41 PM EDT Updated: Oct 1, 2012 08:01 PM

By FOX 12 Webstaff - email

COOS BAY, OR (KPTV) -
    An Oregon man trying to feed his 700-pound hogs was eaten by the animals Thursday, and sheriff's deputies are trying to determine what led up to his death.

Terry Garner, who lived near the rural town of Riverton in southern Oregon, went to feed the animals on his farm at 7:30 a.m.

When he wasn't seen for several hours, a family member went to look for him, and found Garner's dentures on the ground in front of the hog enclosure, which housed several of the animals.

While searching the hog enclosure, the family member found Garner's body in several pieces, with a majority of it consumed by the hogs, the district attorney said.

Now deputies are investigating how Garner ended up in a position where the hogs were able to eat him.

District Attorney Paul Frasier said there are a number of possible scenarios, including one in which Garner suffered a heart attack. Another possible scenario is that given Garner's age and health, the hogs were able to knock him down and kill him. Frasier said there have been reports that at least one of the hogs had been aggressive toward Garner in the past.

Because of the unusual circumstances surrounding Garner's death, detectives haven't ruled out foul play.

A forensic pathologist examined what little was left of Garner's body over the weekend, but was not able to identify the cause or manner of death.

For now, Garner's cause of death is listed as undetermined, and his remains will be further examined by a forensic anthropologist at the University of Oregon.
  2. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Interesting to get rid of the old man !!! See what turns after his death is determend
  3. firefighter1635

firefighter1635 Well-Known Member

Pigs will eat you, ALL of you. I've heard of it before. I was raised on a farm in Ohio and we had a big 'ole boar when I was younger. Dad always told me to never get in the pen with it because "he'll eat you alive" if he can get you on the ground. Thought he was BS'in me until I got older.
  4. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

What led up to his death? Obviously he was going to the outhouse.

I can't be the only one that grew up hearing, "Damn, boy. You been gone so long I thought you went to take a **** and the pigs ate you".
  5. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I used to help feed a pig that weighed as much as a 700 pound pig. He was enormous and gentle but, I am sure if given the chance he would eat you. His nose was about 7 inches in diameter.
  6. dbcooper

dbcooper Well-Known Member

me and my son wanted to sleep out under the stars after we got our ranch this spring.
    then we set up feeders and game cameras and seen this

we will be happy sleeping in the camper

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. wv hillbilly

wv hillbilly Well-Known Member

man, that's a lot of baccon:D
  8. montezumaz

montezumaz Former Guest

Ahhh ... the OTHER white meat! :lmao2:
  9. Jerryboy

Jerryboy Well-Known Member

i wonder what will happen to the hogs that ate him? if a dog attacks a human it gets put down, i would expect the same thing of any other animal.
  10. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

That happened here about 30 years ago. Hogs bit thru the femoral artery and the man bled to death before he could get out of the pen I was never afraid of my cows but respected the hogs.
  11. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I've talked to several pig farmers around here shortly after "Unintended Consequences" came out. All of them agreed that the pigs will eat all but the skull. I have only their comments to report as nobody I know of has performed the experiment.

Pops
  12. wolfdog

wolfdog Member

I used to hunt south Ga with a guy who kept hogs. We processed our own deer and all the left overs went in the hog pens. Head,hide bones and entrails would all be gone in a few minutes.
  13. marlin795

marlin795 New Member

Calvary Chapel Conference Center; Murrieta,CA
    I worked on a pig ranch over the summer and we had a 600lb hog. I may never go back now. I was in the pen with that thing more than once. :O
  14. mogunner

mogunner Well-Known Member

Wife and I are looking at buying some "boonies" land in southern Missouri. We know about the feral hog problem as well as the black bears moving up from Arkansas, and now sightings of big cats have been on the rise as well. We've already decided that the "house" area of the place will be double fenced with heavy gauge wire and no one goes out on the property without both a rifle and sidearm as well as communication...hogs ain't nothing to mess with especially in a bunch, as this case illustrates as these were "only" farm hogs...
  15. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

When I was a kid we went to my grandmother farm every summer. The farmer down the road went on vacation and we had to slop his hogs. I can tell you they will eat anything. They are eating machines.